partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 07:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Music (Moderators: Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  What turns you on or off in a DJ?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What turns you on or off in a DJ?  (Read 3279 times)
Rugby
Gold

« on: March 24, 2010, 09:03:33 PM »

What do you like or expect from a DJ whether it be at a competition or at a social dance?  Do you like it when they play for example two of each type of dance in a row, or one standard/smooth then one latin/rhythm, or that they mix it up?  Do you like old music, modern, strict tempo, singing in the song or a mix?  What turns you on or off in a DJ (please do not give the DJ's name) and would you travel further so you can dance to their music?  Would you prefer to dance to live music over a DJ?

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »

What do I like? In order of priority.
Firstly - tempo that is danceable (if not strict tempo, close to it).
Secondly - lively music as I try to dance WITH the music rather than TO it.
Thirdly - a good variation from one day to another.
Fourthly - alternate 2 of each latin/standard

I don't mind a few tunes that are non-ballroom (such as line dance, occasional salsa/merengue/AT/WCS etc.), but prefer split of at least 75% ballroom (and higher is even better), the other 25% is social time. Famee Furlane DJ (Toronto/GTA) tends to play 60% ballroom and 40% other stuff. I refuse to have anything to do with the venue when he is playing.

Graham
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 09:34:10 PM »

I like it the other way around, or at least 50 /50.  We did a demo and used all non-ballroom music and we had many, many people that ballroom dance say how it opened their eyes to using different types of music.  I always say if you are a good dancer you should not have trouble dancing to anything.  I find some of the old ballroom stuff boring to the point where it gives me no inspiration to want to even dance.  I suppose for me it is how the music makes me feel that creates how I dance, I don't care if it is ballroom, country, top 40 or what have you.  Every waltz, every cha cha etc. should be danced differently depending on how the music and singer makes me feel.

I too like the music to be mixed in that I don't like it where I know what tune is going to be played next because the DJ is so predictable. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:20:02 PM »

Interesting about the music I like that they would have different songs for each heat, sometimes you go to a comp where they have 4 heats and then play the same songs for each heat  Undecided. which I think is wrong. it should be different as the first group going on does not know what the Music is going to be why should the other heats know?

I have been to comps where that is not the case but the prior is not unusal. As for live music to taped music... as long as it is the right tempo I would not mind live music, I did not to a function last year with a live band and they just played the same temp different songs all night, very uninspiring  Undecided

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:01:51 PM »

Interesting about the music I like that they would have different songs for each heat, sometimes you go to a comp where they have 4 heats and then play the same songs for each heat  Undecided. which I think is wrong. it should be different as the first group going on does not know what the Music is going to be why should the other heats know?
I think they are trying to make fair - if the music was different one or other group might compain that their music was harder.  Its a bit of a rock and a hard place argument

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:14:46 PM »

It's a good question.  If I could give two pieces of advice to DJs starting out, it would be:

1.  Don't play a bunch of music that's not in strict tempo.  You can do a little bit, but the dancers are going to get frustrated if they're chasing the one all over the floor.
2.  Don't play the same set every week.   Roll Eyes
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 06:19:07 AM »

Pet peeve is the DJ gets the tempo wrong. Big pet peeve!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »

Bigger pet peeve, DJ puts on a social dance during a competition.  I wonder what they would do if we all started social dancing Grin

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 08:43:40 PM »

so what makes the music social?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 09:07:16 PM »

simply when its not on time for competition dances...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 12:17:33 AM »

the dj for our comp tries to play music that is a good mix of new and old ones. some of the soical providers well they play organ grinder music.....very uninspiring. Undecided

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 12:20:13 AM »

Are there set tempos for International dances?  I've long noted that at any American-style comp, there will be at least one heat in syllabus where the DJ will try to throw the dancers off by playing something that is on the very edge of being a workable tempo for the dance.  They particularly love to do this with foxtrot for some reason -- I've done a few foxtrots at comps that were almost quicksteps.   Shocked
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 03:52:05 AM »

There are very strickt tempos for International dances"
Waltz 28-30
Tango 31-33
VW 58-60
FT28-30
QS 50-52

SB 50-52
CC 30-32
RB 25-27
PD 60-62
PDO 1-99
JV 42-44

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballroom_dance

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 06:37:13 PM »

PDO 1-99

Grin
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »

Are there set tempos for International dances?  I've long noted that at any American-style comp, there will be at least one heat in syllabus where the DJ will try to throw the dancers off by playing something that is on the very edge of being a workable tempo for the dance.  They particularly love to do this with foxtrot for some reason -- I've done a few foxtrots at comps that were almost quicksteps.   Shocked

Well, what happens is that since there's a range of acceptable tempos, DJs futz with the speeds based on the level of the heat.  Especially in Bronze, songs are played at the extreme ends of the allowable tempos.  Slow dances (rumba, foxtrot, waltz) are played faster, because the dancers don't yet have the control or ability to dance the slower, and fast dances (quickstep, cha-cha, jive) are played slower because the dancers don't have the speed to dance them at full tempo.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: