partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:39:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116503 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Photography-Video (Moderators: Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Toronto - Blue Silver competition - Mar 2010
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Toronto - Blue Silver competition - Mar 2010  (Read 2110 times)
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« on: March 24, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »

My efforts (52 pics out of 1300). I hope you enjoy them (I'm leaving Elise to post mine of her and P).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48676465@N05/

My favourite couple of pics.
Classic - http://www.flickr.com/photos/48676465@N05/4459829467/
Movement - http://www.flickr.com/photos/48676465@N05/4460626334/
Abstract - http://www.flickr.com/photos/48676465@N05/4460606610/

Graham
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »

very nice - I would have commented there but not a member yet....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:09:30 PM »

I made a comment to Rugby (offline) about the Blue Silver pics. I realise looking at them after the filtering process to choose which ones get posted, that certain couples are present a lot more than others.

Possible reasons would be that I took more pics of them and so statistically (all other things being equal), they would be present more frequently. I took more of ED and DP as well as Rugby and DP than anyone else, but I wouldn't have posted as many pics (certainly some) - no disrespect intended.
Possibly the couples were prettier, but I would like to think that I am not swayed by looks alone.
Possibly some couples seem to have a better line between poses than others and so the pics show slightly better if the optimal point has been missed (camera takes at 2fps at best, slower shooting RAW).
Possibly some couples attire moves better, again producing a better picture off-optimal.

It is these two latter points that I am tending towards. I don't know. Interesting point for me to consider further, it could be good to further my photography as well as my dance. I see many people focussing on the pose lines rather than good movement between the poses. Certainly in the social world I see many flash-no substance couples and very few couples who present well throughout.

Any thoughts?

Graham
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:30:07 PM »

photographs are a terrific way to follow your dance development - better I think than video.  The reason, as discussed a bit elsewhere, is that they catch you at any moment whereas with a video we tend to focus on 'the' moment - we self filter the nice actions from the bad ones.  Thats why, I think, photos seem to be so harsh (there are other factors, not least of which is the use of flash Wink ).  Really great dancers look great all the time, whether in a pose or between feet - thats why they are great so if you take a picture they also always look great.  I think you will find that social dancers almost never look great - they can look good, comfortable, like they are having fun - but they very rarely look great.  Good pre-champ dancers look really good in photos about (I'm guessing) 1/3 of the time whereas really good championship ones do so maybe 50-70%.

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 10:41:09 PM »

I am busily looking for the one in three possible good photos that EE mentioned above. My partner just told me I am not photogenic. That was a toxic comment and I aint talking to her for awhile.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 04:14:15 AM »

I am busily looking for the one in three possible good photos that EE mentioned above. My partner just told me I am not photogenic. That was a toxic comment and I aint talking to her for awhile.
I don't think its particularly toxic - just a matter of fact.  I used to be very photogenic - but age has its way... Undecided Tongue

Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:47:08 AM »

Good point. As you say, easy to look good in poses, but to look good during the transition is harder. Good thought for the percentages.

Also goes to show how important the outfit is. I look terrible dancing in jeans cos the cut make me look very large in the butt (and I really don't need the help). Maybe I should start a thread about how (and more interestingly to me, WHY) attire can affect your presentation.
I need dance pants that are wide at the ankle to balance out my large upperbody. ED, your DP is much better shaped for dancing than I am. I have been mistaken for the burly doorman on several occasions rather than a dancer (at least until they see me dance).

Graham
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »

Lovely isn't he? Smiley

Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 02:27:46 PM »

Must admit, lovely isn't a word I would use to describe your DP. Nice fella nevertheless.

Graham
(never thought of another guy as lovely)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »

Actually I told him that I am not photogenic, but now that he mentions it he isn't either.   Grin

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 05:13:43 PM »

Of the pics I sent you, I like numbers 5, 54, 61, 72 (but that was the end of a dance), 81.
Given that I posted only 1 in 25, to have 5 that I like is pretty good.

Graham
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: