partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 09:55:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Judging (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Judging
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print
Author Topic: Judging  (Read 14299 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2010, 08:02:01 AM »

In a way that makes sense, because they would look at people they know first, sort them out, then fit everyone else in into whatever is left.

...... The ones whom I know, I know how they dance.

but what if they have worked really hard and have changed?  Is it possible that you would miss that...

sometimes I get that feeling Undecided

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2010, 10:23:30 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong ttd, but I think the question is more about 'becoming familiar with' and I think its part of the pro-am culture.  Pro-am competitors tend to range earlier and further afield to competitions - partly due to where their particular pro wants/needs to go.  Thus, there is a sentiment that top couples get seen by a wide range of judges and, hence, when these come together for a major competition - such as OSB - they will already have a feel for the top couples.

I don't know if this is actually the case or whether the status of the pro is actually more important (something we've discussed before).  But the general issue is: will judges score you better if they have seen you before?  its possible that the answer is different for AM and pro-AM.

I can still pick and choose which competitions of the ones that he does, that I will go to. So far I have followed the approach to minimize travel expenses and tried to go to the ones I could drive to so that I don't pay for a 2nd airfare for my son. Based on where I live, this approach confines me to competitions in Midwest. I've done 2 comps in Florida in 2007, but it took a major planning effort (one was timed with school break, so I took him along and stayed a couple of extra days, my husband stayed with him for USDC, but he complained so much about it, you'd think I left him with a newborn infant, not a 12 year old) and I decided to postpone doing them again until I am no longer confined by having a dependent minor around the house. Out of the ones I've done, excluding the two in Florida, Colorado is the most western one and OSB is the most eastern one.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2010, 11:45:22 AM »

I suspect, but do not know, that the status of your pro is a bigger factor than your face recognition.  The slightly cynical side of me suspect the judges hardly remember the AMs at all - at the top level pro-am seems to be becoming a bragging rights for the pros.  IN a way thats good since its giving it a legitimacy of sorts - how well can you dance with an AM? Rather than the old one of 'how much money can you make/bring in to the comp'.

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »

I suspect, but do not know, that the status of your pro is a bigger factor than your face recognition.  The slightly cynical side of me suspect the judges hardly remember the AMs at all - at the top level pro-am seems to be becoming a bragging rights for the pros.

I've definitely felt that way in the past.  I think it's a caveat of being part of the studio with the top Pro-Am teachers in the country.  I've both competed in and watched heats where the "top pro"'s student did not dance the best in the field, but they were placed higher than a student with better technique but a lesser-known pro.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »

Its hard to call though - since in multidances they are judging the couple and if the judge only looks at the guy (some do) they might always rank national champion over regional one....

But I admit, thats being overly generous..

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2010, 06:03:38 PM »

I suspect, but do not know, that the status of your pro is a bigger factor than your face recognition.  The slightly cynical side of me suspect the judges hardly remember the AMs at all - at the top level pro-am seems to be becoming a bragging rights for the pros.  IN a way thats good since its giving it a legitimacy of sorts - how well can you dance with an AM? Rather than the old one of 'how much money can you make/bring in to the comp'.
I don't think that's necessarily the case. I have placed above a lady dancing with a very famous pro, but it was a competition within driving distance for both of us, and one we keep coming back to.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »

I don't think that's necessarily the case. I have placed above a lady dancing with a very famous pro, but it was a competition within driving distance for both of us, and one we keep coming back to.
glad to hear it - else there would not really be much point competing.

I think the rules should be better spelled out though - that pro-Am judging should still be mostly about the am and only partially about the pro...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: