partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 07:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Judging (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Judging
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Print
Author Topic: Judging  (Read 14406 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2009, 02:32:44 PM »

Every champion I have talked to (and that are successful in my eyes) ALL have said they never once cared about the judges or the results. I believe it is this attitude that makes (partially anyway) great dancers!

Not a lot of honesty in champions is there (at least no this subject)...
tis called 'lip service' Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2009, 03:18:36 PM »

You really think they don't care?  Try talking to them a bit longer about judges, who is good and who is not and about events, countries etc etc.  In my experience what happens is that they don't care at first - but mysteriously they have an opinion on every factor as to who likes them and who doesnt/  And they are not talking about friends for a drink - they are talking about how they are judged.  Surely any professional cares deeply about their career and source of livlihood - and for dance pros (and ams) winning is what its all about.

I think what they are actually expressnig is honest in its own way - that you can not go onto the dance floor caring about what a judge is going to do - you have to put it out of your mind to dance your best - to achieve the savoir faire of the champion. 

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »

then you need to introduce me; I would love to meet them... Smiley

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2009, 12:26:25 AM »

Sadly the politics are everywhere no matter if you are Pro/am, Am/ Am or Pro/ Pro ( did I leave anyone out?).  Studios that put pressure on judges and judges that have studios that put pressure on the comp organizers and couples that put pressure on their teachers it they judge.  Greed and ego are the problem, or in some cases a desperate need to try to keep in the game even after the lights have started to dim.  Never should dancing get into the Olympics, too corrupt sad to say.

When I ask different top Pros about their competing days the answer I get depends on if they are still competing and how long and well they know me.  At first it's all happy happy but when they stop competing, or as time goes by and we get to know each other more the answer seems to change considerably.  I know one Pro that got second due to politics and when he went up to get his award he told the judges they could F off and then stuck both hands up with the appropriate fingers raised and walked around the floor.  The competition was televised and it had to be cut out.  Love to have seen that one.

As for myself I also don't let what the judges say or do throw me or turn me away.  I also give the answer that it is the dancing that counts, which is very true for me.  But... if you want my honest opinion, I hate what the politics from (judges, competitors, teachers, comp organizers etc.) do to dancing and how it effects people.  I can certainly get up on the soap box and preach a sermon (kind of like what I think I am doing now) because I hate people that take advantage of something I love to do and want to see grow.  They are tearing down the foundation of dancing when they get political and it effects everyone that dances, everywhere.  The system is marred like a beautiful piece of fruit that looks delicious but has been tainted with pesticides.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2009, 05:06:14 AM »

But there IS a way round the politics - compete far and wide.  And yes, each time you step into the local mire but if the judges are sparing at each other through their local couples a stranger that dances well will be highly scored by them all.  no axe to grind.

where the politics is worst is where people know each other the best - which is, of course, at home

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2009, 12:19:51 PM »

Go accross the border Wink  Besides, the roving judges are less likely to be biased, at least at the syllabus level.  The real problem (if it exists) is with judges who also have regular students in the same area.  Its a pressure they should not have to deal with.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2010, 09:10:05 PM »

New question for any judge:

When you go to a competition - do the organizers give you and information on the couples to help you judge?  I mean previous rankings, etc etc

thanks
ee

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2010, 03:15:09 AM »

When you go to a competition - do the organizers give you and information on the couples to help you judge?  I mean previous rankings, etc etc

thanks
ee

I will ask my coach who is a judge, but I think they would not get that information....unless perhaps for an IDSF event, but I cant see the relevance as they are judged on their current performance not their last...IMO

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2010, 04:00:26 AM »

thanks
ee

I will ask my coach who is a judge, but I think they would not get that information....unless perhaps for an IDSF event, but I cant see the relevance as they are judged on their current performance not their last...IMO
thats why I want to hear from a judge ...

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »

Well, I'm not a judge, but I've done a fair bit of score-running, so I was around the judges a lot, and it never appeared to me that they had any knowledge of the couples except what they themselves had seen at previous competitions.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2010, 10:15:05 AM »

Well, I'm not a judge, but I've done a fair bit of score-running, so I was around the judges a lot, and it never appeared to me that they had any knowledge of the couples except what they themselves had seen at previous competitions.

Still like to hear it from a judge - if it ever happens.

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2010, 04:05:08 AM »

When you go to a competition - do the organizers give you and information on the couples to help you judge?  I mean previous rankings, etc etc thanks ee

No. We often know certain things b/c we have judged these persons before, coach them, etc. Of course, there are times when things come up in general conversation, but specifically giving us criteria by which to judge someone... never happens.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2010, 04:09:35 AM »

When you go to a competition - do the organizers give you and information on the couples to help you judge?  I mean previous rankings, etc etc thanks ee

No. We often know certain things b/c we have judged these persons before, coach them, etc. Of course, there are times when things come up in general conversation, but specifically giving us criteria by which to judge someone... never happens.

Never?  Interesting, I communicated with a judge off-forum and he had had a different experience - that couples numbers were mentioned in the judges meeting as well as other 'hints'.  I'm very glad to hear that you have not come accross this.  It was a bit depressing

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2010, 06:13:03 AM »

that is terribly unprofessional by organizers (if that is who they were). But whether organizers or judges you must have to judge each event and couple on their last performance.

Otherwise it sounds like strictly ballroom  Shocked
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:58:43 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2010, 02:55:11 AM »

Never?  Interesting, I communicated with a judge off-forum and he had had a different experience - that couples numbers were mentioned in the judges meeting as well as other 'hints'.  It was a bit depressing

It is not depressing. It is disgusting. Whomever it was needs a severe talking with. How blatantly unprofessional, not to mention unfair to the competitors.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: