partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 10:33:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Freestyle dancing - as initiated by the follower
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Freestyle dancing - as initiated by the follower  (Read 686 times)
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« on: March 23, 2010, 11:56:49 AM »

My personal belief is that the follower can initiate a lot in the latin dances (less so in the standard). However, this is not generally demonstrated in ballroom as much as it is in other forms of partner dance (WCS and salsa especially, and others such as AT?, I don't know).
So, the question is why not?
Is it because there is a lot of focus on competition in ballroom?
Most (decent) instructors are former competitors? and so teach choreography so much?

I teach and encourage my students to 'take control' if they wish. Easy example would be overturning a fan (rumba/cha-cha-cha). The follower can easily decide to overturn even if it is not led, and lots of options then exist. Free spins away from the partner also provide an opportunity for the follower to express herself, and as long as the partner accepts the follow role for a while to complement, then it looks good. On the odd occasion when I follow, I also try to incorporate some personal interpretation into the dances, so I also practice what I preach. It's fun and rather unusual and really makes the 'leader' pay attention.

Graham
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 02:28:37 AM »

Free will interpretation is fine as long as it doesn't conflict/deter from the intenion of the lead. Much of latin is not as flexible as the dances that you referenced, thus does not allow for inaccurate hijacking from a follow. If she can stylize in an opened position, and be ready for the next lead, go for it.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 04:17:16 PM »

'Free will interpretation is fine as long as it doesn't conflict/deter from the intenion of the lead.'
And if the leader is good enough and confident enough to allow the follower to take over the intent and then to be able to follow her 'intent' then there shouldn't be a problem.

'Much of latin is not as flexible as the dances that you referenced, thus does not allow for inaccurate hijacking from a follow.'
I don't know your reasoning for this statement, can you expand. I am not an expert in WCS or AT, but having watched a fair bit, I see no reason for this difference inflexibility - or even that there is any. What am I missing?

Thanks.
Graham.
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 06:10:07 PM »

I think it will just create confusion.

A bit like having 2 driver in a car. Why can't that work ?

However in standard I have been coached that whoever take the step forward 'drive'.
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 08:44:11 PM »

DGD - As other dances make it work without confusion, why don't we do it in latin (admittedly I find it difficult to see how it could work well in standard, but just because I can't see it doesn't mean someone else can't make it work).
Yeah, in standard, the forward moving partner is the driving force, but typically the leader still directs (engine versus steering wheel to stick with the car analogy).

When I am following latin, i love to take over and do some personal styling (as mentioned earlier, in overturned fan type positions, travelling spins and the like, just add a little pressure at the appropriate point to request the initiative and hey presto, off you go, with the 'leader' matching the styling.

When I am talking about taking the initiative, what I see in other styles is more initiative to personal styling (wiggles, squiggles, funky moves and spining, rather than leading the leader directly). Although I have seen on the fly role reversal (which I consider to be different as the roles are clearly switched with the leader (now follower) being formally lead). My mind was more towards styling and funky stuff (defined HuhHuh). Does that clarify or confuse (I'm not sure).

Graham
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »

DGD - As other dances make it work without confusion, why don't we do it in latin (admittedly I find it difficult to see how it could work well in standard, but just because I can't see it doesn't mean someone else can't make it work).
Yeah, in standard, the forward moving partner is the driving force, but typically the leader still directs (engine versus steering wheel to stick with the car analogy).
not sure exactly whatyou mean by the 'driving force' .  I used to think of it that way but if the person going forward is driving harder than the person going back they will collide.  We now think of it more as a conversation.  If the man is going forward he signals that lead and then the woman drives the distance - that way she sets how far she can go and also creates space for the man to move forward.  The result is a conversation in intent and in energy where both partners can move and any viewer would just see it as a seamless natural complete movement.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »

yes EE I would agree with you
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 01:00:27 AM »

the probl;em with driving as a statement infers that that person is leading and has control, where as EE says it is a conversation, aksing someone to come with you on the journey......

but on a soical front I can't see  a prlbem if the couple has agreed it. I have done it occasional if my partner is not sure of the dance.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: