partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 05:38:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Waltz 1-3 natural turn
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Waltz 1-3 natural turn  (Read 3200 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2010, 10:43:36 AM »

I actually never have a syllabus couple start with a 1-3 of a Natural Turn as they can’t get the flight and therefore the swing on the Natural Turn that is needed to do it nice. Again that is my opinion and I totally accept that others don’t agree with me.

From what I've seen, in American style syllabus, nearly every routine that begins in closed frame begins with a reverse turn.  Maybe that's why. 

We start our standard waltz with a natural spin turn (so after the prep step we get 1-3 of a natural turn). Now obviously I dance pro-am, but the local guys who also do pro-am with their teachers, also seem to start with it. Maybe it's a local thing. My american waltz does not start with a reverse turn, however.

We talked about this in my lesson the other day and basically that beginning natural is usually our best natural in the entire dance. We start off with a prep, we are well-connected, it has what it needs to look good. I saw that in my videos. However, when it happens somewhere halfway in the song, it is not as good. Usually because something of the initial connection is lost and so it just does not have the initial quality.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2010, 01:16:38 PM »

I agree - our opening 1-3 is now quite tasty - but I would not give much for the ones in the middle.  OTOH I'm not really sure I've ever looked!!
[scuttles off to look at tape on puter of a couple of comps ago...]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 11:10:20 PM »

I think to be able to get the swing in the first three of a natural if you are using it as your first step in a routine that you must use a prep step, to aid momentum. I dont think you can do the 1-3 natural turn from a standing start..well perhaps the good ones can  Tongue

I thought the prep step also had something to do with getting connected with ones partner, and balance?

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 11:13:27 PM »

If you are connecting during the prep you are in trouble I think Wink  For me the prep step is a way to get swing going - which is why its needless in tango - but many dancers don't use one at all.  We do in FT but not W.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2010, 04:51:05 AM »

I think to be able to get the swing in the first three of a natural if you are using it as your first step in a routine that you must use a prep step, to aid momentum. I dont think you can do the 1-3 natural turn from a standing start..well perhaps the good ones can  Tongue

I thought the prep step also had something to do with getting connected with ones partner, and balance?

Zac

would it not be all of those things?...you should already be connected but it would reinforce it as well as your balance
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:53:06 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: