partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 04:02:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116397 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Venues
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Venues  (Read 2808 times)
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »

We did sneak alcohol in to the last comp that didn't have a bar! Shhhh Grin
[/quote]

wow lol...assume you consumed it after your heat? Wink

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »

The Indiana Roof ballroom in Indianapolis is also oval. The slats in the floor are curved. It was originally built in 1927.

very nice ballroom, seems like a very crowded social dance scene?

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 08:50:18 PM »

for me floor #1 important, also love a venue near good restaurant and affortable food, I don't give a damn about bar or drinks, but food is very important for me;) also prefer the comp hotel has special affortable rates for competitors.

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 10:58:14 PM »

We've had some talk about slippery floors.  The last comp I went to had the opposite problem -- they had the slowest floor I've ever danced on.  It was some kind of laminate, laid over the carpet in the ballroom.  It was nice because it had a lot of give, but the surface was sort of like vinyl; it gave some when you stepped on it.  Spins and heel turns were kind of difficult, and the women were having trouble with their heels sticking.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 11:59:16 PM »

We've had some talk about slippery floors.

Don't talk to me about slippery floors until you've danced on the floor at my studio (not talking to you, C, obviously, or Ginger either).  Literally, it's widely held to be the fastest floor in the country.  If you can dance on that floor, you can dance on anything.  FWIW, I don't even consider "doctoring" my shoes with water/oil/etc. at comps because that floor has trained me not to need it because there's no way a comp's floor can be faster than that one.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2009, 03:02:35 AM »

yes we have the same where we dance the floor is considered fast and everyone hates to dance there, but most champions dont require anything on their shoes. (so I am told) they just become more centered over there feet and remain low. Whether that is true or not for everyone I would like to know.
But the issue of venue is universal Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 08:43:50 AM »

wow lol...assume you consumed it after your heat? Wink

Yep...after the heat, but right BEFORE our FINALS  Shocked

We came 2nd  Grin
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 06:41:26 PM »

Don't talk to me about slippery floors until you've danced on the floor at my studio (not talking to you, C, obviously, or Ginger either). 

Odd... I don't think of DW's floor being particularly fast.  When you danced on our studio's floor, did you think it was fast?  Maybe I'm used to it too.  I've done lessons in my socks on our studio's floor.

The first year we went to Vol State, I think that was the first year they had it at the Hilton.  The night before the comp, the hotel had someone come in and wax the floor.  And, er, they overdid it a bit.   Shocked  Dancing on it Thursday morning was like dancing in a tar pit.  Everyone kept having to scrape wax off of their shoes.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 06:58:16 PM »

Odd... I don't think of DW's floor being particularly fast.  When you danced on our studio's floor, did you think it was fast?  Maybe I'm used to it too.  I've done lessons in my socks on our studio's floor.

No, I didn't think it was particularly fast--but my judgment's a bit skewed, LOL.  I definitely thought DW's floor was fast when I first started going there.  Took me a long time to get used to it, but now I like the fact that it doesn't take me as much effort to do spins, LOL.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 10:13:16 AM »

I have come to the conclusion that most of the comp floors are fast and am trying to get low and over my feet so I don't slip. The more that I can trust myself that way I wont worry about it anymore

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 09:54:01 AM »

The floor at Chicago was perfect.  So darn perfect I had to blame my shoes instead Undecided Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2010, 11:56:55 PM »

Do any of your know if you dancing association has a venue solely for the purpose of Ballroom. There is a complex here that is currently being used by a arts/contemporary dance group and I believe it will come up for sale, I thought ballroom should use it as a base, but don't know if it would be worth the investment

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2010, 02:44:41 AM »

been looking around again for venues and it is so difficult. Of course it comes down to a cost issues. The Ballroom we use mostly is great but cost around $1200 to hire for a day and that can kill a small dance event. You have to register it with the major association and then pay all the people who scruitneer and music etc.

So now I am trying to find a venue at a local council that will be cheaper but still  nice to dance in. Why does it have to be so hard.... Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: