partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:16:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116442 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Venues
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Venues  (Read 2845 times)
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: April 15, 2009, 09:58:52 PM »

Having been going to comps Locally, some of the venues are quite ordinary. I know that money must be an issue, but we danced on Saturday at a venue that was so small that we had to modify the steps and routine to fit it to the floor. I am sure that is all part of the dancing game. But for those that are new it is quite a challenge.
Anyone else had experiences like this?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:09:15 PM »

Having been going to comps Locally, some of the venues are quite ordinary. I know that money must be an issue, but we danced on Saturday at a venue that was so small that we had to modify the steps and routine to fit it to the floor. I am sure that is all part of the dancing game. But for those that are new it is quite a challenge.
Anyone else had experiences like this?

Yep - wait until you get to Canberra and have to modify your routine to make it "bigger" so you can cover the huge floor enough!

My partner and I did a show once where the floor wasn't big enough to do a single natural turn properly. You get used to dancing and modifying what you're doing to suit floors of different sizes after a while.

It's the ultra-fast floors I don't enjoy dancing on. Give me a 1 foot sized floor and I can be happy, as long as it's not like ice skating.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:34:20 AM »

Yes I know exactly what you mean I hate slippery floors and the wonderland floor can be quite slippery but the did a good job of making it good for dancing on Sunday. Except for the girl loosing her costume everywhere now that is another story!

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:44:35 AM »

Yes I know exactly what you mean I hate slippery floors and the wonderland floor can be quite slippery but the did a good job of making it good for dancing on Sunday. Except for the girl loosing her costume everywhere now that is another story!

!?

Do tell.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 01:33:13 AM »

She was wearing a Latin outfit with bugle beads all over it and when she was doing a cha cha or samba they were flying off her costume and littering the floor. It was a miricle that only one person fell over, which was her own partner....

I know there was another girl out there 20 weeks pregnant I was so worried that she would fall over and hurt herself.

Dance Forum
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 03:17:56 AM »

In America most of the NDCA and USA Dance comps have big and beautiful floors. NDCA comps usually held at nice hotels, but admission tickets expensive.

College comps usually take place at gym  so even though not as beautiful as NDCA comps, but space never been an issue. It only happened once at once comp such small space, and a lot of couples didn't like that so this comps got very low attendance the year after (participation in champ standard dropping from semi-final to 2 or 3 couples), even after they changed to bigger space the year after. It seem small floor are pet peeves for standard couples in USA.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 06:38:27 AM »

I think the same here...I hear it is the cost of the venues that are an issues..and then it has a flow on effect to the cost of the tickets.... I know of a venue locally where the hire rates climbed from $900  to $1500. You need quite a few people to come through the door. Then you have to pay for musics to be played, even if you have volunteers for the rest... you have at least $2,000 for run a comp...

I don't know how to fix the problem

Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:02:45 PM »

Wasn't a comp, but I once danced in a club that had a circular floor with a diameter of about 20 feet.   Shocked  Did a waltz consisting of nothing but right turns...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 02:20:38 AM »

did you get dizzy :-)

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 10:21:23 PM »

Wasn't a comp, but I once danced in a club that had a circular floor with a diameter of about 20 feet.   Shocked  Did a waltz consisting of nothing but right turns...

Ah, so that was you.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 02:45:02 AM »

Well not good to have a small dance floor for ballroom, it is social then you rock on the spot, not the sort of dancing that appeals to me.

Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 11:55:51 PM »

I once did a vienesse waltz demonstration on a floor 15X18. Obviously there were no explosion lines---but alot of shaping.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 02:55:22 AM »

You are clever! dont know if I am skilled enough for that yet.

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 11:38:35 PM »

Had to do a dance in a place with raised tiles.  Not something you would want to do too often if ever.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 11:41:38 PM »

The floor at the International Championship in Royal Albert Hall, London is oval.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: