partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:29:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Split Floor at Competitions
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Split Floor at Competitions  (Read 1558 times)
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 01:28:45 AM »

We have routines but i've never had a problem having to change it up on short floors, I just noticed that a lot of people do... they tend to get flustered and forget to look where they're going or something like that. And for higher level smooth, routines are kind of necessary you know..

Though I completely disagree with the necessity of/for routines, I completely agree with the rest of this post. Split floors are not as uncommon as many believe, and a good dancer should be able to recognize the elements of the movements of the routine, and adjust.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 01:49:18 AM »

I think that is what all dancers strive to be good dancers and to be able to adapt and that is the biggest difference between the two

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
IrenaAlexandria
pre-bronze

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 05:58:11 PM »

I've only seen split floor for syllabus-level events. And even then it was painful to watch as the floors were terribly crowded. I could not imagine what it would be like to dance open smooth or standard on a split floor. Yikes! I guess if it happens frequently enough, I would consider an alternate modified routine... but wow, that's just wrong.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 06:25:57 PM »

Well, I used to think that too - until we won Grin
That made me think very differently because what the split floor did is to force everyone to show if they could do floorcraft.  And we could.  On an open floor the rote-dancers doing their practised routines win because they can but on the cramped one its actually about dancing Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 10:10:14 PM »

Totally true ee.  The benefit that we and you have is that we still social dance and have to get used to odd shaped and crowded floors.  The place where we will social dance has an octagonal floor.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:22:43 PM by Rugby » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 11:16:04 PM »

When our routine doesn't fit the floor, we just keep doing it and turn the corner. We could probably put in some step that effectively turns the corner for us, but as social dancers before comp dancers, we just don't see why we can't turn the corner when it gets there, and never mind about making different routines for certain length floors.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 01:14:27 AM »

When our routine doesn't fit the floor, we just keep doing it and turn the corner. We could probably put in some step that effectively turns the corner for us, but as social dancers before comp dancers, we just don't see why we can't turn the corner when it gets there, and never mind about making different routines for certain length floors.

It gets harder as the routine gets more complex - some step sequences are not easy to segue out of, in particular when you have spent a gazillion hours learning it!  But you are still right, you should be able to do so...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: