partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:50:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Split Floor at Competitions
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Split Floor at Competitions  (Read 1599 times)
Becca
Open Bronze

« on: March 14, 2010, 10:35:53 PM »

I don't know if they do this at competitions outside of the US or outside of pro/am even... but... sometimes competitions divide the ballroom in half so they can judge several events at once. It isn't so much of a problem for Latin and Rhythm, but for Smooth and Standard (if you have choreography) you really have to change things up! I've only ever seen it done for single-dances, but it's still irritating...

So.... What do you do? Do you have different routines for small floors? Do you make everything small to fit the floor? Or do you just scrap the routines altogether and lead/follow?

Just wondering... Smiley   Roll Eyes

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:43:05 PM »

This is another reason I don't do routines.  I've run into split floor situations before where it turned into something almost like a social dance -- the short side isn't long enough for a natural turn, and you'd better keep your elbows in.   Shocked
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »

no I have not seen it here. the oly thing they might do is combine events, I am sure then you are still judge for your grde but it saves time and space. If split floors is a regular thing I believe we would have to reevaulate our routines also. But we are changing the angles so we can get around people

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 11:16:37 PM »

I think they tried it here at Canberra or Souths a couple of years ago.  But I think they got a lot of complaints.  It really throws you out if you lose your orientation of the floor.  mm
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:19:48 PM »

I think they tried it here at Canberra or Souths a couple of years ago.  But I think they got a lot of complaints.  It really throws you out if you lose your orientation of the floor.  mm

Just as well I did not go those years, I would have freaked out!

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 02:32:46 AM »

Routines are terrific for doing complex step sequencies - but surely they should not be the only way to dance (excepting of course if you are doing sequence dancing) IMO if you can't adjust to a different floor - you really can't dance.

The classique has a very long floor and often splits it - the result is one that is not quite a full length - they then sometimes put multiple heats on there so the floor is also crowded.   The best dancers just carry on!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 04:36:10 AM »

then I cant dance... I might as well give up Embarrassed

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 05:35:42 AM »

then I cant dance... I might as well give up Embarrassed
but I thought you wrote elsewhere that you now don't think of steps and only follow Huh 
what difference does the floor length make then?

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 07:15:01 AM »

well I do, but still know the routine, I am getting better at following but we are still routine based. Our skills are developing, but we would not be fluent..

Dance Forum
Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 11:01:19 AM »

We have routines but i've never had a problem having to change it up on short floors, I just noticed that a lot of people do... they tend to get flustered and forget to look where they're going or something like that. And for higher level smooth, routines are kind of necessary you know..

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 11:06:26 AM »

And for higher level smooth, routines are kind of necessary you know..

good point.
I'm beginning to see smooth as something between standard and NV ...

Funny thing was at the classique we had 7 couples in our pre-champ heat and then (I guess to torture them) they threw in a pre-championship smooth couple.  It was hard on us with all those arms flying around - but it must have been torture on them!

samina
Silver

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 05:21:18 PM »

I encountered split floors a few times. Certainly a moment for lead-and-follow to show its beauty. Just keep it simple, relax... dance your energy like you're still on a big floor... and c'est la vie. Just like life, it's all about what you make of it. Smiley

Am recalling I nearly got 1st in Silver Standard at Manhattan on a split floor (lost by rule 11... I consoled myself by knowing I received the most 1sts, lol). But split floors do feel like second-class...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »

An advantage that my DP and I as well as ee and her DP have is that we still social dance.  This means we have to be able to lead and follow 90% of the time and adjust to different size floors and the amount of people to dance around. 

I think in Montreal ee and her DP were able to adjust due to this whereas the rest of the competition could not.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 08:11:14 PM »

I think in Montreal ee and her DP were able to adjust due to this whereas the rest of the competition could not.   
Wink

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 04:53:39 AM »

NV would not be an issues on a split floor. as long as everyone is doing the same dance as they can go against line of dance and not at the same time. Shocked

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: