partnerdanceonline.com
November 27, 2014, 02:32:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Samina's Dance Blog  (Read 3222 times)
samina
Silver

« on: March 11, 2010, 04:53:12 PM »

I just started to formally study the precious bits & pieces in the access-limited Advanced Ballroom section, and elise suggested blogging about it... which I think is excellent idea... and so, here we go! Smiley

I started out with studying the "Schools of Thought in Standard" thread created by DSV. I'd read through it previously, but not with the same care as today, and this more thoughtful read has been illuminating.

My self-diagnosis (which a comment made by DSV within the thread seems to validate) is that my training thus far has been Body/Square. I had originally thought it was primarily Square with a bit of Body, but I think because of the influence on my primary instructor and his partner, it's actually a primarily Body approach that has made its way into my instruction.

The biggest tip off: DSV's comparison descriptions of the positioning of the body during the Feather. I've been trained from the beginning that the default position of my body is right-forward, which caused me no end of puzzlement when I started entering into technique discussions on another forum and found not one person who could validate a right-forward body position, with everyone else asserting it was definitely left-forward. It was this exact point that first caused me to ask on the forum if there were different schools of thought... in fact, that there simply had to be, because here were dancers receiving quality instruction who were at odds with this very simple piece.

I also recall when I first started dancing Foxtrot with my last lesson & practice partner, with whom I did take a lesson with my own primary instructor, and with whom I took regular coaching for a time. The minute we'd take off, it felt all wrong to him because I was *not* left-forward in my body. I wonder now what his own pedagogical lineage is... if it is more Round-dominant. Am going to inquire to puzzle that one out.

But right-forward as default has been drilled into me, by both my primary instructor and his partner. I can see her again & again always bringing that right side (not shoulder, but actually the right side of her torso) toward her partner and even up a bit, with very precise isolation. And one thing I noticed the last time I danced with my instructor (it was late August or early September), was that the freeing up of my body which I've been accomplishing all year enabled me to do this right-forward isolation with more relaxed ease. It seemed to allow a radically improved coordination of body action, which was very palpable to him, and felt so good to me.

Don't know if I'm off-base with all of this regarding the right-forward body, but that's the first thing I've taken out of today's read-through of the thread.

For my own benefit, I'm going to summarize the Schools of Thought in Standard thread under a separate post.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:16:01 AM by elisedance » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 06:32:10 PM »

wow!  what a PDOodle feature...  thanks so much sam..

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:59:42 PM »

my pleshj, elise... thanks for suggesting it. i know i'll enjoy doing it, and that it will be personally very helpful. Smiley
samina
Silver

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:00:41 PM »

Actually... I'm thinking it may not be kosher for me to post my personal summary of the Schools of Standard here, as it is outside of the permission-protected domain where it originated. For the moment, I will keep my summary to myself, unless the forum agrees to allow it here.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:48:53 PM »

Actually... I'm thinking it may not be kosher for me to post my personal summary of the Schools of Standard here, as it is outside of the permission-protected domain where it originated. For the moment, I will keep my summary to myself, unless the forum agrees to allow it here.

Good point - I should have thought about it.  However, why don't you correspond with DSV about how to handle this?  I am happy to set you up an area within the protected area if she is cool with the idea. Smiley

samina
Silver

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 05:51:41 PM »

Sounds like a good possibility, since pretty much all the stuff I'm going to be studying right now is from that protected area. I would love to know that DSV would feel free to respond openly. I'll give her a holler... Smiley
samina
Silver

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »

I've finished giving a solid read to the Body School Terminologies and the X-rated Teaching threads, and have a bunch of questions, but I'll wait til I hear back from DSV before I share.

I will say however, that these threads so rich information are drawing me back into Standard training... just in my mind at the moment. Once I get a few of my questions answered, am looking forward to bringing some new actual practice drills into the mix. Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 03:37:47 PM »

you will have to keep us updated on how that works - reading so much information before being able to actually do it

samina
Silver

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 06:05:33 PM »

I also recall when I first started dancing Foxtrot with my last lesson & practice partner, with whom I did take a lesson with my own primary instructor, and with whom I took regular coaching for a time with Giampiero. ..I wonder now what his own pedagogical lineage is... if it is more Round-dominant. Am going to inquire to puzzle that one out.

Sounds like Michelle Officer and Iveta Lukosiute have been direct instructors, with other overseas coaches bearing their pedagogical influence.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:17:13 AM by elisedance » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 07:20:09 PM »

Which gleave do you mean?  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:17:36 AM by elisedance » Logged

samina
Silver

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 12:38:16 PM »

Thanks, ee. Any inkling about Michelle Officer and her Standard style?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:18:03 AM by elisedance » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 05:02:36 PM »

I think I remember that she is in... we need some help here Smiley

samina
Silver

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 06:05:49 PM »

So, while we wait for DSV to return, let me shoot out a question to the group about the Body School terminologies...

It has to do with the very first point in that thread, having to do with foot positions 1, 2 ("platform"), 3, and 4.

Is 2 full up on the toe, 3 halfway down, 4 flat on the floor, and 1 halfway back up? And I take it that foot position 4 is considered "neutral" position, which is the same thing as a "lowered" position?

I was actually surprised that nobody asked this in the main thread because it was instantly a puzzle for me, but mebbe it's just obvious to others and I need a little special-ed assitance, lol.  Tongue Smiley
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 06:36:30 PM »

Michelle Officer danced with Benoit Pappineau, who, if I recall correctly, was taught by Anthony Hurley.  Anthony Hurley I believe is Body School.  I know Benoit is as I had a lesson with him a few weeks ago.  So it might not be a stretch to assume Michelle Officer is also. 

As for the footwork questions, my experience so far is that I've been able to figure out footwork quite easily if I allow my body to determine it when I'm with my partner.  If I'm by my self my body doesn't do too good of a job with the heels and toes.  With my partner, the heels and toes seem to come naturally.  Same for her.  Quite uncanny how that works out.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 06:37:13 PM »

...Oh, and I was SO happy when I saw that you had started a blog!  Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: