partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 10:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Argentine Tango (Moderators: captain jep, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Tango Walk
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tango Walk  (Read 1641 times)
Subliminal
Intermediate Bronze

« on: March 08, 2010, 02:49:42 AM »

Hi all, just thought I'd get the ball rolling in this forum again. Wink

So, how is your tango walk coming along? Mine is starting to feel pretty good. I'm currently refining my back steps (leaders don't usually do many, but if you're gonna do 'em, do 'em right), and working on keeping loose and leading strongly during syncopation/traspie.

I started out going toe-heel, but switched to heel-toe on my forward steps. I think it works better for my balance, and feels a little more even.

How about you? Have you learned anything new about the walk?
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 03:59:22 AM »

hello! it has been awhile since I did AT, Peaches and a few others are more proficent that I am...but I remember when I did it going backwards for the women it is a toe lead but the timing between the toe and the heel hitting the floor is not very long. so it almost feels like a reverse heel lead, not sure if that was done correctly. once I finish comp ballroom I may revisit AT Grin

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Subliminal
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »

That sounds right. I'm not sure how you walk in heels, but I know part of the technique for both leads and follows is to keep the heel as close to the floor as possible, even with toe-leads.

That's great, you should totally join us in tangoland. Smiley
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 04:30:46 AM »

Hi all, just thought I'd get the ball rolling in this forum again. Wink  How about you? Have you learned anything new about the walk?

Perfect. Every class should begin with a few to many minutes of the basic walk (outside/inside/inside).

once I finish comp ballroom I may revisit AT Grin

IMHO, a well done tango and bolero will better everything else in your repertoire.

That sounds right. I'm not sure how you walk in heels, but I know part of the technique for both leads and follows is to keep the heel as close to the floor as possible, even with toe-leads.

The most difficult part of the walk is to relax the knees at the collection, and completely straighten the legs at the open. This sets up the necessity to move by squeezing the adductors, and bringing the thighs together.. . which sets up the necessity of rolling through the feet and always moving them on an inside edge.

Now, on a personal note, thanks for rebirthing the tango thread. We on the PDO seem to be more interested in learning and bettering the dance than persons on... ahem... [whispered] ...that other forum.   Shocked   Wink
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 04:33:33 AM by TangoDancer » Logged

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 09:05:20 AM »

[now TD: don't entice me to break my new resolution Cheesy (did you see the 18721 topic?)]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Subliminal
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:05:41 PM »

Thanks TD. Smiley

I would be happy to have a more technical discussion, I'll probably post the rest of my "syllabus" tonight.

To continue the topic of walking, what you say makes sense. What's interesting is how we all have different issues at first. I think the softening the knee was something that I picked up fairly unconciously, but I had other issues, like pushing too hard off of the back leg before collecting.

Right now I am revisiting CBM on forward and back steps to clarify the lead and make the step more natural and flowing.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 04:05:42 AM »

[now TD: don't entice me to break my new resolution Cheesy (did you see the 18721 topic?)]

Oh, whatever do you mean? Interested now...................  Huh  Wink

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 07:20:48 AM »

Oh, whatever do you mean? Interested now...................  Huh  Wink

you will need to go and take a look at the thread 18721  and it will explain it.. but it relates to the other  unmentionable forum... Tongue

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 07:50:20 AM »

...but it relates to the other  unmentionable forum... Tongue

wait a mo - everything is mentionable here.  Most of our members are on DF and I would still be too if I could.

If anything, its this forum thats unmentionalble Wink

[but to see the 18719 (somehow we had # creep Wink )topic I'm afraid you are going to have to look outside the partnerdance area Shocked  its OK TD, most people do come back Tongue
here, I'll make it easy:
http://partnerdanceonline.com/index.php?topic=1157.0]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 07:52:49 AM by elisedance » Logged

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 04:11:37 AM »

Missed that, somehow.  Roll Eyes But, PDO is, actually way  Cool .

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 04:57:29 AM »

Missed that, somehow.  Roll Eyes But, PDO is, actually way  Cool .
tooo truuuue Wink

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »

Hi all, just thought I'd get the ball rolling in this forum again. Wink  How about you? Have you learned anything new about the walk?

Perfect. Every class should begin with a few to many minutes of the basic walk (outside/inside/inside).

once I finish comp ballroom I may revisit AT Grin

IMHO, a well done tango and bolero will better everything else in your repertoire.

The most difficult part of the walk is to relax the knees at the collection, and completely straighten the legs at the open. This sets up the necessity to move by squeezing the adductors, and bringing the thighs together.. . which sets up the necessity of rolling through the feet and always moving them on an inside edge.

Now, on a personal note, thanks for rebirthing the tango thread. We on the PDO seem to be more interested in learning and bettering the dance than persons on... ahem... [whispered] ...that other forum.   Shocked   Wink

Not sure if TangoDancer is still around, but I found this post intriguing. 

Anybody who knows:  Relax the knees at the collection?  Huh?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 10:50:39 PM »

Sounds like something you do in church.. Roll Eyes

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 11:36:23 PM »

Tango walk in AT is different to Standard Tango, connection pint is much different. walking in tango goes in a circle, not sure if AT does the same. I love tango, one of my favs..... we have not done some practice walks lately must do that again before we start to practice  this week.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 02:26:33 AM »

Sounds like something you do in church.. Roll Eyes

Maybe TD or btm can clarify. Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: