partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 06:20:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Lessons before comps?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Lessons before comps?  (Read 1827 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »

Really?  So I take it you also like it when coaches coach during the competition itself?  Sometimes it really helps - like 'you are not extending your neck enough' at the last comp ws invaluable.  OTOH sometimes its disasterous, in particular I think very specific comments like 'point your toe in the throwaway' because that kinda takes over your mind.  I suppose its the pre-comp coaching in its worst example...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 09:36:34 PM »

I have had lessons right before the competition, and right after. My preference is to do so right after. I will do it before again but with the understanding that this is something to revisit later, and not try to put in for this event.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »

Yes EE I would value a coach's input even in between dances if it were possible. Certainly between heats is invaluable and I see it quite often in prechamp and champ. I have seen your coaches do this to their students and wish mine were there to do the same for me.
In all sports there are coaches barking out instructions even as the action unfolds . Due to the anal character of competitive dance this type of help will never occur in our lifetime.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »

Yes ttd, I think a lesson right after the event is the best way to go especially if it included close up video of the dancing to emphasize the points. Hard on the ego for most.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 11:23:45 PM »

I will see what can happen bout after the comp. but nothing new or dramatic changes prior....need to have done it at least 21 times but more like 21 days before it becomes  a habit.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 12:41:11 AM »

We are too far away from our instructors to be able to go a few days before the comp to get tips.  For us we have to do everything the day of or before if we are staying over.  I would love to have my instructors at the comp so they could tell me between heats what I am slipping on or what would help in comparrison to the others.  Even for my DP and I we only see each other once or twice between comps, so we have to make every opportunity to dance together and get help count.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 07:51:52 AM »

one of our coaches does not come to the comps and the other does but he is often judging and cant make comments Undecided so we dont get advice, only from friends that are there liek SW or mummsie if she can attend. ;P

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 08:36:16 AM »

that may be a good thing...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 08:00:08 AM »

yes. well I dont look for the advice it is too late, just get on and do it...

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 08:52:19 AM »

I am sorry to bring this up again but it comes back to the problem that many teachers/coaches doesn’t learn how to teach as they don’t have dance parents to teach them that part of the business. They are therefore forced to use the students to learn and it is often by the trial and error method. It is not really fair to either the teacher/coach or the student but that is how the business is done most places.

I always saw it as there being at least 4 different kinds of lessons. This plan was the plan I used and the plan I used when I used to teach couples on a weekly basis.

1. Planning lesson: Deciding what needs to be improved and/or changed and then set a schedule/plan by when/how this needs to be done.

2. In-depth lesson: Taking things apart to the very basic principle and get the bottom of issues. Learn how the dancing is build layer by layer.

3. Building lessons: Putting the principles into action and intergrading the principles into the dancing.

4. Pep talk lessons: This is the lessons that prepare the couple for the competition. The main job is to find what the focus for the competition (I was told to never have more then one thing to focus on) is going to be. Finding the mindset needed for the competition. Do at least one imitation final during the lesson.

As I said earlier this is what I used for weekly lessons. I have had to revise it slightly as I often work with couples now that I don’t see every week. Those students will get homework that they have to work on until I see them again.

My main teacher used to say that before a competition you should only take lessons with people that make you feel great by the time you walk out of the lesson. If they make you think then don’t use them before a competition. There was one coach that my partner and I used to go to that always made us feel great. He did make us think in any way or form he just made us feel great. My main teacher was able to teach that way as well. Those two teachers were the only teachers we would use 21 days before a competition.

Sorry I got a little carried away.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 09:12:27 AM »

Terrific advice and information (as usual DSV Wink ).  One more thing though:  did your teachers ever coach you during a competiton - between heats?  And if so what kind of advice did they give?

I think for me this is the most sensitiive issue - its very hard for the couple to avoid this without being rude and yet I have found that it can have both very useful or disasterous outcomes.

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »

Terrific advice and information (as usual DSV Wink ).  One more thing though:  did your teachers ever coach you during a competiton - between heats?  And if so what kind of advice did they give?

My instructor has done that for me on several occasions.  Usually, it's one of two things: (1) a brush-up on something that we might have noticed during morning warm-up, or (2) if we find out that the judges are focusing on something in particular, we'll do some quick work on improving that.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 08:41:47 PM »

I think for me this is the most sensitiive issue - its very hard for the couple to avoid this without being rude and yet I have found that it can have both very useful or disasterous outcomes.

I do my best Wink.

Let me just make it clear that “the one thing” you are to do in the competition can and often is different between the man and the lady.

He would sometimes remind us of each of our “one thing” that we had agreed to show in the competition. He would stand nearby so we could feel his energy and felt safe and taken care off. If he was around and we didn’t need reminding of “the one thing” then he would just small talk and that would calm us down. He never talked about anything technical during a competition. He was very intuitive and would only be around when he felt we needed him around.

He actual told be that if I didn't want anybody around to sit on a chair facing the wall. This would be an indication of "leave me alone" without being rude.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »

yes i agree, now I know the style of the visiting coach his information was very valuable but came at a wrong time. I will work on a different sheudule for his expertise  to be put into our dancing. Smiley

Dance Forum
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »

about 48 hours  prior to our last competition we had lessons (yes plural !) with a respected female instructor . Her point was elegant. She told us bluntly what we had to do to improve but did not mention anthing about winning. She emphasized posture and confidence and did not overburden us with details. 4 hours before the competiton we had yet another lesson with a much younger and more spirited female instructor. we had to contain her enthusiasm for more choreography changes and reign in her obsession with details. She watched us perform almost every dance and made a few encouraging and pointed remarks. I am thankful to both of them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: