partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 11:38:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Lessons before comps?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Lessons before comps?  (Read 1824 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: March 06, 2010, 06:25:22 AM »

I was reminded of this by Q's post on a lesson she just had with a visiting coach before their comp on sunday. 

I find that such lessons (with regualar pro or visiting coach) screw us up almost more than anything.  What happens is that the information does not get incorporated and becomes disproportionate in my mind - dancing becomes whatever that lesson was about. 

How do you feel?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »

Never did it before, but I kinda agree what you are saying.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 08:59:26 PM »

I never have lesson the day of the comp, for the same reason Elise just said.
But if I have a lesson the day before the comp, I just treat it as any other lesson.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:51:33 AM »

I never have lesson the day of the comp, for the same reason Elise just said.
But if I have a lesson the day before the comp, I just treat it as any other lesson.
then you can assimilate the infor very close to the comp.  A lesson later than a week before seems to screw us up!

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:07:56 AM »

well I agree. we spent  our lesson on waltz and we blew it big time each time we went on the floor. we will not be having a lesson with a visiting coach again before a comp. The information he gave us was great but we did not have tIME to DIGEST THE INFORMATION into our routine and our timing went out the window. so disappointing as the couple that beat us were shocking in their presentation and generally off with their timing,  Undecided

but I wont do it again

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 02:48:29 PM »

I would not have a lesson with ANY new coach before a comp (1-2 weeks). But ALWAYS with a coach that knows me and works with me often. This coach will always know if you need the "reenforcement/build up lessson" or the correction lesson. This is the coach that knows you better than anyone.......
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 04:02:54 PM »

I would not have a lesson with ANY new coach before a comp (1-2 weeks). But ALWAYS with a coach that knows me and works with me often. This coach will always know if you need the "reenforcement/build up lessson" or the correction lesson. This is the coach that knows you better than anyone.......

Good point - but our screw up was with our regular coach.  He just puts so much into each lesson (bless him) we are usually sated for two weeks or more - but you don't want that much a few days before a comp....

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 05:51:33 PM »

Haha we have a comp here about every 2 weeks, no chance for any new coach.  Tongue
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 12:39:45 AM »

Haha we have a comp here about every 2 weeks, no chance for any new coach.  Tongue

lucky You! comps every two weeks that is Shocked

Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 12:43:16 AM »

having said that we are having a mini comp in two weeks and then the week after is the easter comp and then two weeks after that we have the crown....so we have a busy time ahead. Then nothing till June. Might look at the Geelong comp perhaps?

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 05:58:25 AM »

We've got two weeks between comps - and we are taking no lessons during that period.  Its partly because coaches are traveling a lot but they did arranged for excellent stand-ins.  Its just that we do not feel a need to learn but to consolidate so ethat we go on the floor relaxed.  There's time to learn after...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 06:29:05 AM »

yes well we are just having our regular coach before and leading up to our next comp. so we also will try to consolidate.

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 06:48:47 AM »

having said that we are having a mini comp in two weeks and then the week after is the easter comp and then two weeks after that we have the crown....so we have a busy time ahead. Then nothing till June. Might look at the Geelong comp perhaps?

I'll definitely be at Geelong!  Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:58:02 AM »

[please stay on topic here - we'd love to hear about the comps on the comp board or the Aussie one]

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 07:57:12 PM »

if it were possible I would be taking a lesson five minutes before walking on the comp floor. I wouldnt want choreo changes but certainly top line commments would be appreciated.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: