partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 04:30:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  maintaining frame and shape
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: maintaining frame and shape  (Read 3060 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 09:53:39 PM »

Yes, and no Wink  you can not take more than given - but you can take more than expected...  and most important, given practise time you can train the man to give you more Smiley

I wish more follows would do that, actually.  In my experience, too many follows try to stay in a tight little space directly in front of me.  Not only is it confining to them, but if they can't maintain an offset, then they are blocking my leg path. 
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 10:38:41 PM »

But I'd say, try fit in to what the man gives you.  Roll Eyes

Yes, and no Wink  you can not take more than given - but you can take more than expected...  and most important, given practise time you can train the man to give you more Smiley

Well, then it's the man's job.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 12:21:26 AM »

well I will make sure that each practice we keep that frame longer and longer. Shocked Hopefully when SW sees us in April he will notice the difference Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 01:23:32 AM »

.....and remember a fixed frame is an illusion. Learn to see past the illusion so you can see, feel and understand how flexible and giving the frame actually is.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 02:54:20 AM »

.....and remember a fixed frame is an illusion. Learn to see past the illusion so you can see, feel and understand how flexible and giving the frame actually is.

yes, the worst is that we round the shoulders, and I keep my arms stiffer to offer resistance...it is finding that balance Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 05:44:26 AM »

I wish more follows would do that, actually.  In my experience, too many follows try to stay in a tight little space directly in front of me.  Not only is it confining to them, but if they can't maintain an offset, then they are blocking my leg path. 

Soooo... when are you visiting Toronto next Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 05:48:58 AM »

But what should be your mind set?  I mean a collapsed frame can happen very easily - often when you have a difficult step - so what do you think of to keep the frame open while allowing it to breathe?

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 06:53:17 AM »

yes we find that also, I think because the energy is not match, we have the same issue that it can collapse at points. You can see from this that it just does not look relaxed
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:04:07 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 07:52:07 AM »

Actually, I think it looks pretty good - V's shoulders are down and his arms extend at the same angle; his head is in the right position and he has a slight leftward poise.  Your head is also nicely turned without being too much and your left arm looks nice with a good hand - though it may be a bit raised off his.  I think its nice - the frame could, however, be accentuated a bit more - try 'shaping round' him to your left.  But I think you need a coach to put that into practise.

I like it...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »

Soooo... when are you visiting Toronto next Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Kiss  I wish this had existed several years ago when I was traveling to Toronto regularly on business...

I'm starting to think that waaaaay too many follows are trained to maintain their dance position by reference to sight lines, rather than feeling the "pocket".  For example, they'll be told "you should be looking over the man's left shoulder", but if they haven't been taught where their head is supposed to be, that doesn't do any good. 

Of course, the follow isn't going to feel the pocket if the lead isn't creating a good, solidly rounded frame...  Shocked
drj
Bronze

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »

Much discussion of this today in my lesson with my instructor. He will no longer let me take hold. I have to give it. And yes, as DSV says, the frame that results is flexible, not fixed -- and yes, it's a bear to keep when my mind betrays me and I start thinking. But giving it, rather than taking, and making it a living thing, rather than static? Wow, does that change things.   Cheesy

ancora imparo
samina
Silver

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »

ooo.. i miss that dynamic. been so long since i got to enjoy that standard frame... yum.

my own teach said from the beginning "the frame is constantly being renewed... it's never held", but it was a long time before my body relaxed enough to feel and allow that breathability without collapsing. what a great feeling when that sensibility started to emerge. it was only just beginning to feel truly breathable when i last competed. felt like the beginning of where dancing could actually start taking place...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 05:19:37 PM »

we (you included of course) need you back on the (ballroom) floor sam... any plans?

samina
Silver

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 06:48:38 PM »

many plans, clearly laid out, not yet executed... i don't believe it will be much longer at all, tho. Smiley

and... i quite agree... Cheesy
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »

Actually, I think it looks pretty good - V's shoulders are down and his arms extend at the same angle; his head is in the right position and he has a slight leftward poise.  Your head is also nicely turned without being too much and your left arm looks nice with a good hand - though it may be a bit raised off his.  I think its nice - the frame could, however, be accentuated a bit more - try 'shaping round' him to your left.  But I think you need a coach to put that into practise.

I like it...

I often start like that and end up squarer I will try to be more consistant  Cool

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: