partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  maintaining frame and shape
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: maintaining frame and shape  (Read 3494 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« on: March 05, 2010, 08:13:57 AM »

[I thought this would make a good topic on its own ee]

What is the secret to a man or a women maintaining shape. I know it is not meant to be difficult, but we are struggling with that more at the moment. I think that if both do their job of maintaining it the others job becomes easier.....that must come down to practice and is it better to focus on it for a bit and then when you feel it faltering, stop and start again?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:32:23 AM by elisedance » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 01:33:41 AM »

yes, it seems to be an internal problem we have of not maintaining that great  upper body posture. I am better at my head being int he right direction , could look up more but remind myself often..

any ideas will be greatly appreciated about if there is anything that you can do to remind yourself about your frame.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:35:20 AM »

I think you mentioned some time ago that it takes a certain amount of time to establish a new behaviour (can't remember how long it was).  This is very hard to do with the frame since if you could maintain it you would not need to establish it!  I think the key is to break the process into steps - thats what coach did with me - starting with my back and shoulders and then adding one piece at a time as each was established

However, I obviously am not there either since in the photos from the classique I think I am in frame only about half the time so I'm back to the workshop on this too..

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 07:07:11 PM »

I think it must be done in stages...you need to be consciously aware of supporting yourself through your abs, and then you forget and flop back to old habits, I am sure that topline is similar you do it are aware and then forget and have to go back to it, just hope that it is not on the comp floor as it would look quite strange the constant shift. Shocked

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 08:11:56 PM »

you obviously want to get to the point where the frame is automatic.  To some extent it must already be but the challenge is to identify the steps where you loose it and fix those.

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 08:56:47 PM »

Frame & shape should come natrual, instead of forcefully maintained.

I think the bases of frame and shape is how you stand. If you stand up as tall as you can, with spine stretched straight up towards the ceilling, raise your left hand to lady's eye level and right hand on lady's shoulder blame, you should naturally have a good frame/shape.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 12:56:44 AM »

This is great advice - but I think it assumes a person who has not suffered the ravages of time.  I think we pay too little attention sometimes to the differences between a young person starting/learning to dance and an older one doing the same.  The former should do just as you said.  However, the latter may have to deal with a ton of misused body structure problems before they can even stand up straight let alone take a woman and start to move.  Changing your body is something that most people resist passionately - until they hit the brick wall of not being able to advance at a cherished goal.  Its certainly what happened to me....

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:42:12 AM »

ED is right in that it is different for all, and can be difficult for some depending on age and other factors. I believe that the answer is to understand CPA and centers. These are unique to the individual, but essential to all good dancing, and to the partnership.

CPA - Corrective Posture Arc: standing with the body straight and tall, and forward at the ankles until it is placed over the arches of the feet; the arc is the measurement between this forward posture and that when the body is placed above the heels.

The 3 Centers - Side/Center/Side: knowing that there are 3 centers of balance, and which one needs to be over at a given moment; these, of course, are 1- side R (from the inside of the shoulder, through the pectorals, through the hip joints [balance points], down the seam of the pant, and through the instep)... center from the gloital cave (at the base of the neck), through the sternum, through the navel, and lower center... side L (same as side R).

My exercise: positioning the arms in a ballet 2e (rounded and lifted afront of me), and, while looking straight ahead into a mirror, rotating the body/arms from side center to center center to side center without moving the eyes/head. Rising to the toes at each position, take time to notice, feel, accenuate the balance/shape at each.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 05:49:33 PM »

thanks for that. V will read it also and work on it.... and I will continue to maintain my shape. and when it falters bring myself back

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:11:36 PM »

We are constantly working on frame and posture, particularly because it needs so much work! We're a good deal better than when we started; both of us are standing up straight and looking up most of the time. However I'm looking at the wrong place, and DP's left arm keeps falling down. We constantly remind ourselves where they need to be.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 09:15:08 PM »

We are constantly working on frame and posture, particularly because it needs so much work! We're a good deal better than when we started; both of us are standing up straight and looking up most of the time. However I'm looking at the wrong place, and DP's left arm keeps falling down. We constantly remind ourselves where they need to be.

yes he also needs a focus point as he looks straight past you and not to the left. At least he does not look down but he must improve looking to the left Cheesy

Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 09:27:03 PM »

and we are no no means perfect so we strive for that perfection every-time we go on the floor Tongue

Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:52:30 PM »

I think the bases of frame and shape is how you stand. If you stand up as tall as you can, with spine stretched straight up towards the ceilling, raise your left hand to lady's eye level and right hand on lady's shoulder blame, you should naturally have a good frame/shape.
Straight up??  Are you speaking about the man's frame? For me, the ladies shape is different----
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »

Straight up??  Are you speaking about the man's frame? For me, the ladies shape is different----

Yep, I was talking about man's frame. I don't know much about lady's frame.

But I'd say, try fit in to what the man gives you.  Roll Eyes
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 07:41:06 PM »

But I'd say, try fit in to what the man gives you.  Roll Eyes

Yes, and no Wink  you can not take more than given - but you can take more than expected...  and most important, given practise time you can train the man to give you more Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: