partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 09:46:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116405 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Int'l Foxtrot: 3 step vs. Feather step
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Int'l Foxtrot: 3 step vs. Feather step  (Read 1581 times)
Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« on: May 31, 2010, 10:12:54 PM »

I think my DP has fallen into the trap of over analyzing; and once there, it's hard to escape without help.

He's wondering how he maintains the "rise" of the feather step for longer than the "rise" of the three step. He feels he's "up" for the same amount of time in both steps (i.e. for the QQ)

I've tried explaining it, but it's just not striking a chord with him; coming from a follower's perspective, the words don't really resonate, I guess.

Any tips?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 11:23:18 AM by Dancerette » Logged
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 12:38:08 AM »

Sounds like you're foot work is wrong. They are very different. A feather step is rise e/o 1, up 2, up 3, lower e/o
A three step is: down on 1, rise e/o 2, up 3, lower e/o 3.

There should not be a problem maintaining rise. its just a forward step on a toe. A lady does these for example in a weave, T, T, T, T... etc..

Potentially, the length of the 3 step of the feather step is too long, ie: reaching for a step.

I never teach anyone to 'reach'. Never reach back or forward, just move on to a step.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 05:43:48 AM »

I never teach anyone to 'reach'. Never reach back or forward, just move on to a step.
great advice...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 04:40:59 PM »

Thank you, ah Smiley I will pass this information on to my dance partner when we practice tonight.

Greatly appreciated, and it makes sense to me.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 10:22:28 PM »

why when I watch top pros do I see a reaching or a stretching of the body . in particular I see it in luca but maybe its an illusion. surely there is a bending and stretching of the body and legs when they absorb the forward motion of the three step. I have never been taught to stretch my legs but if I dont try to magnify something I might as well be walking a dog in the park.  I stand waiting for enlightenment
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 05:07:09 AM »

why when I watch top pros do I see a reaching or a stretching of the body . in particular I see it in luca but maybe its an illusion. surely there is a bending and stretching of the body and legs when they absorb the forward motion of the three step. I have never been taught to stretch my legs but if I dont try to magnify something I might as well be walking a dog in the park.  I stand waiting for enlightenment

I beleive you are right, I am often told that it is an illusion how to create that illusion is an art we are all striving for. Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ahowlett1
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 06:45:06 AM »

When you watch them dancing, do you see a static picture or a video in motion. Are you seeing them reaching or simply having their body weight between their feet?
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 09:23:18 PM »

I have watched several videos of foxtrot by many pro couples.I am starting to see the space between the movement. The more the man apparently reaches or extends his leg or foot there seems to be a quietness or even weighlessness. I also see a bowing of the mans spine that enhances the apparent reaching . Does all this make sense?
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:29:13 PM »

Do I see a reaching?  Unfortunately or not I think I see a longer step that looks like it is reaching but it is balanced because the mans spine is still centered between his feet
Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »

Oh, oh.

More to think about during foxtrot Wink

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 03:21:25 AM »

Yes but fortunately, its just they guy Tongue

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: