partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 09:09:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Bouncing back from a disasterous competition
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Bouncing back from a disasterous competition  (Read 3052 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: March 01, 2010, 09:39:27 AM »

Any tips on how to bounce back?

This topic originates from my post in the results topic which I will copy here:

"I suppose I should report.  We did the Ontario closed Saturday (R was in the same competitions - they did well congrats!!).  We were entered for two pre-champ events and two championship ones (dancing up for experience).  However, DP was terribly ill - we had a hard time practising that morning.  He could not do one side trying out the comp floor without gasping for air and was forgetting routines.  He agreed to cancel one championship event.  I thought he was too sick to dance but he insisted so we did.  I just wish we had not, it was not a positive result.  We came 4/4 in the senior I pre-champ and 7/7 in the senior II 0- and thats after making the finals in the former and winning the latter two weeks earlier at the classique. 

Don't get me wrong its not about loosing (well to be honest it is a bit) but its much more about dancing to potential.  When I leave the floor I want to feel as if we did our reasonable best then I don't care so much about the results.  But Saturday we struggled all the way through and it was simply a relief to finish.  Now I'm worried that despite the conditions it will affect our standings and our future dancing due to a blow to confidence.  I know I should not, but the feeling is there both because of the result and because we never do as well here.

I've fretted on this for the last too days but am coming out of it now.  I suppose its situations like this that really test your competetive metal - can you bounce back?"

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:30:45 PM »

Sorry to hear what happened to you EE!

First of all, what do you mean "Bouncing Back"?? Do you mean you forget about what happened and have a mentality of everything "ok"Huh

Well, if that could be possible, every single human-being on this planet would never suffer from anything. But, that is not true. If you say you could, I would say that you simply lie on that. Would I be angry and depressed if I were in your shoes??? Yes, yes, yes!!! No doubt.

But, the thing is that I don't have a power to change the past, also don't have a power to predict the future. Dang!!! That sounds so unhappy and depressing. Well, but I could do something right now based on the past and the future might be different. To do that, I think you probably need to use your head instead of your feeling and emotion. And give some love to yourself. You deserve it. Cheesy

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:19:42 PM »

The great thing about a setback EE is that it leaves the field wide open for a terrific comeback!  I bombed at my last competition with a capital B.  It didn't sting as much as I thought it did because it did two things: our competitors no longer see us as a threat, and we learned so much from that experience that we otherwise never would've.  We've been tying up all the loose ends that we didn't even realize were loose until that day of the competition.

If I were you EE, I wouldn't worry about future placings.  Consider it a strategic "hustle" you did.  You went out there and showed your competitors that you are no threat to them.  Now you've got them squarely where you want them.  They won't be looking behind their backs for you anymore.  That makes them prime candidates for a dance floor annihilation.  They'll never see you coming.  Forget the judges.  They only compare you to your fellow competitors.

On a further plus side, you now know never to compete in a bad state of health.  So when you do win your next competition the judges will see you as someone not to be doubted.  In fact, it will look better for them to see you again in good health because they will perceive rapid improvement from you.  You're in a unique position in that you haven't really created your "first impression" yet on the judges.

Grin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:23:21 PM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 02:32:42 PM »

On a further plus side, you now know never to compete in a bad state of health.  So when you do win your next competition the judges will see you as someone not to be doubted.  In fact, it will look better for them to see you again in good health because they will perceive rapid improvement from you.  You're in a unique position in that you haven't really created your "first impression" yet on the judges.

I buy it all up to this point - and thats really the root of my dejection.  In ontario we get judged by the same judges at virtually every competition - so these judges have seen us umpteen times before.  We were just starting to make a little headway up the rankings locally and I susepct most of them heard about our success at the Classique - thus I feel that this showing blew all our progress away.  Thats what stings.

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 02:49:22 PM »

I buy it all up to this point - and thats really the root of my dejection.  In ontario we get judged by the same judges at virtually every competition - so these judges have seen us umpteen times before.  We were just starting to make a little headway up the rankings locally and I susepct most of them heard about our success at the Classique - thus I feel that this showing blew all our progress away.  Thats what stings.

Well if you believe that, then you will give off that energy at the next competition.  You could use this feeling you now have to your advantage and create the "fight" within you on the competition floor.  Embrace this feeling to turn it into energy you can use.  If you convert that energy and hit it back with, "pardon the previous competition.  This is what I can really do", I'm sure they'd be too happy to reward you.  If they haven't seen you compete at this level before, then grant it, some of them might have been disappointed that you couldn't "cut it".   The fact that your competitors aren't going to try to outshine you makes your job even easier.  If it was your first time up, if the judges see you a second time keeping toe-to-toe or blowing away the competition, then they won't just write you off.  Sure, some judges might be too puzzled and stay "safe" and give the incumbent the victory, but your job now is to make it clear to the judges that incumbent/shmimcumbent.   
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 02:54:22 PM »

Well if you believe that, then you will give off that energy at the next competition.  You could use this feeling you now have to your advantage and create the "fight" within you on the competition floor.  Embrace this feeling to turn it into energy you can use.  If you convert that energy and hit it back with, "pardon the previous competition.  This is what I can really do", I'm sure they'd be too happy to reward you.  If they haven't seen you compete at this level before, then grant it, some of them might have been disappointed that you couldn't "cut it".   The fact that your competitors aren't going to try to outshine you makes your job even easier.  If it was your first time up, if the judges see you a second time keeping toe-to-toe or blowing away the competition, then they won't just write you off.  Sure, some judges might be too puzzled and stay "safe" and give the incumbent the victory, but your job now is to make it clear to the judges that incumbent/shmimcumbent.   
love it
Ever thought of being a life-coach Roll Eyes
I know of a client... Cheesy

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »

You know, if you always get same judges and you danced better in front of them before, they probably would think that you were having a bad day. The last OSB wasn't my best competition either. As a team we had some issues which interfered with our dancing - neither of us was at 100% physically there. Surprisingly enough, we had some recalls and my attitude is - if we danced so badly and still had some good marks, how well will we do if we are at 100%. And in my case, since there were so many people there and I don't compete that often, nobody will probably remember.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 06:03:27 PM »

Ever thought of being a life-coach Roll Eyes
I know of a client... Cheesy

Not yet!  I've got a long way to go.   Grin  I'm merely repeating the advice I've gotten from my coach and some really high ranking pros.  It was reassuring to see that really high ranking pros that currently compete and I look up to also have had bad days and have had horrendous results once upon a time.  The only way they got to where they were is by learning to tie up the loose ends that caused the bad results and embracing the loss to create a fight within them that made them come out swinging stronger and harder than ever. 
samina
Silver

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »

not in anyway to undermine the frustration you have felt, ee, but mebbe one approach is to just not build it up as a big deal. it's all about the story you tell. you could switch the story to something like: "my partner was sick, we competed anyway, it was a valiant effort, and we're looking forward to when we're both in great health and can dance our best!"

it's like beating a drum... the story you tell and every time you tell it, and the feeling it invokes in you, thumps a powerful vibration into the the universe saying what you believe and what you expect. "if it was such a tragedy", it hears, "and she keeps repeatedly invoking feelings about that, i guess she must want more of it... more frustration, more disaster, rather than Grace, success, & ease..."

law of vibration and all that good stuff. Wink  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 06:20:49 PM by samina » Logged
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 06:49:31 PM »

Wow Samina!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 07:34:51 PM »

hmm.
thinks............

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »

Elisedance: You probably looked better than you think. Out of the four competitions we have entered I have yet to finish a single routine without a major error. This last comp was no different yet our marks improved. By checking the marks and who gave them (we all know the judges and how they mark) it was obvious that our poorest marks came from judges who valued musicality least. I know this because we know how they themselves danced in the past years. Our best marks came from people who admired the attempted failure and lo and behold they were themselves dancers of greater renown. One judge who put us squarely in the middle of the pack will reward effort but is impatient with forgetfulness.
We got what we deserved. We were at the same time over and undermarked but I came away knowing where I had to spend my practice time.
Get someone to video your dancing so that your teachers can study it. If we have you in our videos I will let you know what I see.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »

I think its good to go into solitude and reflect long and hard what the h..l went wrong. I have had many long agonizing conversations with myself on the so-called "couch  of depression " specially reserved for sore losers like myself. I cant for the life of me figure out how anyone can walk around with a smile on their face after coming in last in anything. BEcause I am just a mediocre dancer, the greater the struggle the more I want to win.
samina
Silver

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 08:31:44 PM »

Wow Samina!

hmm.
thinks............
i realize that elsewhere on the internets i might find myself lynched for making such a suggestion, lolz.  Shocked Grin

how dare i diminish the importance of someone's pain! Angry

but since we are students here of The Laws... seems a great place to explore practical ways to invoke them. Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 09:10:26 PM »

I certainly took no offence!!  Tell it like it is, honesty is its own justification and kindness...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: