partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 01:34:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Bouncing back from a disasterous competition
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Bouncing back from a disasterous competition  (Read 2897 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »

Well... they were very compatible for me.  With DP I got a lot of practise and we have to work through how to actually do steps.  With pro I got to dance at the edge of my abilities (and sometimes over the edge Shocked Smiley ) and lessons were all about me.  But my AM partnership took a very positive turn with a change of attitude that I felt  we were pulling together and I thought we could make some sort of impact in our little world.  Another factor (also important) is money - I have to save a bit now and you know what pro/am is like for emptying the bank Undecided

So here we are.  I don't think its a permanent decision and I intend to keep taking lessons by myself, but I'm leaving it open...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 10:20:28 PM »

Perhaps listening to a teacher well versed in basic syllabus steps and strong on presentation is a good step from here. I was told months ago that my frame was wobbling and  refused to pay attention to it until I watched my posture on video.  That camera is one cruel master.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 10:47:42 PM »

Don't I know it.  We are all semi-legends in our own minds until we see ourselves and realize we are far from it.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 01:13:28 AM »

Perhaps listening to a teacher well versed in basic syllabus steps and strong on presentation is a good step from here. I was told months ago that my frame was wobbling and  refused to pay attention to it until I watched my posture on video.  That camera is one cruel master.

yes but sometimes we need to see it on video to understand which part of the frame is not working. or that you are not lowering enough..Learn from it and move on. dont tourture yourself!

Cool

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2010, 03:24:25 PM »

What this whole experience has done is to make me look much deeper into my dancing to see what else might be up, why in particular we are so variable.  One thing that has changed is that I'm only dancing with DP now so I don't get the weekly kick-into-shape with pro.  I think that means I have to get more disciplined about how I prepare and how I maintain my standards. ...  
How lucky you are to be dancing am/am!! I always think that with pro/am there is a "bail-out", the pro is there to help you.
In am/am, you are "on your own" - the success is ALL yours.
Although I only do pro-am, it is too easy to have a pity party -often wonder about the $$ and effort.

{I edited to put your reply outside the [/quote] ee}
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:00:24 PM by elisedance » Logged
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »

I have the opposite relationship with the camera. Quite a few times I got off the floor thinking that it didn't go so well, and then I am pleasantly surprised by the video.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 12:44:09 AM »

well we are back to the drawing board....i get down for a short time and then back up again to start anew... Grin

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 05:54:16 AM »

I have the opposite relationship with the camera. Quite a few times I got off the floor thinking that it didn't go so well, and then I am pleasantly surprised by the video.
Lucky you!
Actually, I quite like the videos of me its the photos that look so awful. 
Strange that - I used to be photogenic Sad

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2010, 06:56:39 AM »

well depends on the angle and what is being filmed I find that the video just don't not necessarily show the effort that we have put into it Undecided

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2010, 07:46:02 AM »

well depends on the angle and what is being filmed I find that the video just don't not necessarily show the effort that we have put into it Undecided

Actually, that may be good.  The idea of hte effort I think is to make it look like there is no effort Cheesy  I do know what you mean though - the look as if you are walking around the floor ...

(can't wait till DSV sees that Cheesy )

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »

I thought the angle and the timing are even more important for still photos. If they are taken somewhere in the transition, they look weird. I even heard Tony Redpath say something about that in her seminar (she was talking about waltz and said something like "we reach the biggest shape here and hopefully this is when they take the picture").
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2010, 12:36:21 PM »

Yes, but really good dancers seem to always look good in their photos - I think you have hit on why photos are so useful because they tend to NOT catch you when you pose.  The aim should be to look good at every moment....

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »

Yes, but really good dancers seem to always look good in their photos - I think you have hit on why photos are so useful because they tend to NOT catch you when you pose.  The aim should be to look good at every moment....

That's what actually Tony's point was in that seminar - that if you pause during a transition, it will not necessarily look good. It may actually look downright weird. But because you move through them, it's OK. The photos however, are another story, this is why even if you look at photos from pro events, some of them do not look that great, because they were not taken at the right moment.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »

I've got some friends on Facebook that are top dancers, and trust me, even they find humor in the photos that catch them at just the wrong moment.  I've seen their photos.  Smiley

However, I do agree, the goal is to try and look "normal" throughout the whole movement, kinda like walking. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »

I've got some friends on Facebook that are top dancers, and trust me, even they find humor in the photos that catch them at just the wrong moment.  I've seen their photos.  Smiley

However, I do agree, the goal is to try and look "normal" throughout the whole movement, kinda like walking. 

Hmm.  Ever watched Quasimodo walk?

Besides, I think I must look weird walking - I'm always trying to improve my posture and probably look like a total stuffed-shirt...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: