partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 07:47:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Mixing social and competetive dancers and dancing...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Mixing social and competetive dancers and dancing...  (Read 4296 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2010, 08:53:43 AM »

no not yet. I think we are lucky that we can go to a social dancing place that has dancers than enjoy better quality dancing....but if I had to go to places where it is not so accommodating, I give them a miss and watch the TV or a movie. I find it difficult to sit still so long about an hour at a time and I am bored.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2010, 07:34:13 PM »

Not yet, dancing is still dancing. If we sit a couple out, then we talk about dancing. If we don't dance a whole lot, it's usually because one of us is really tired.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2010, 09:49:40 AM »

I have found my enjoyment of social dancing is changing.....it has become a form of practice and I only do the dances I am meant to do. perhaps later when I am no longer competitive I will go back to all the dances

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2010, 01:10:28 AM »

I have found my enjoyment of social dancing is changing.....it has become a form of practice and I only do the dances I am meant to do. perhaps later when I am no longer competitive I will go back to all the dances
Yup.  same here.  Worse perhaps, I only dance with DP now - much as I love it I have so little experience with different men - only him and pro Undecided

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2010, 07:20:38 PM »

I try to dance only with DP or the coaches. Most of the social dancers mutter about me being all high and mighty if I even stand up straight and try to keep a decent shape.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2010, 02:17:49 AM »

I have heard from others that when you dance with too many others your own dancing it effects your dancing. If you are just doing it for soical then it does not matter but if you are trying to compete, it is best to stay with your partner and learn to know there leads.

Even though every now and then I think it would it is not a bad idea to dance with someone else to prove that you can follow or lead  Tongue

Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 02:19:01 AM »

I try to dance only with DP or the coaches. Most of the social dancers mutter about me being all high and mighty if I even stand up straight and try to keep a decent shape.

let them mutter...this is your dancing journey.... Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2010, 08:03:08 AM »

I have heard from others that when you dance with too many others your own dancing it effects your dancing. If you are just doing it for soical then it does not matter but if you are trying to compete, it is best to stay with your partner and learn to know there leads.

Even though every now and then I think it would it is not a bad idea to dance with someone else to prove that you can follow or lead  Tongue

I'm not sure I agree.  While this may be true on the short term, learning how to follow multiple leads can really help you to tune into the man's body...
Least I think so , I don't get the opportunity... Undecided

dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2010, 06:55:13 PM »

Social dancin completely ruined DP's dancing !

He is moving his head around in standard to look around in case we are going to bash into someone rather than keeping it left. This throw his headweight in the wrong position hence throwing his balance then he hang on to me. And then we have the 'I have to drop my arms because I may elbow someone' hence ruining the frame. Then when the floor gets really crowded his reaction is to 'protect' me by death gripping my back.

I just don't understand.

Social dancing never done anything bad to me but DP just cannot seem to keep up the same standard while social dancing and his whole dancing is totally wrecked.

I always keep my posture in social dancing even though I may not be able to shape as much.

So it really depends from person to person I guess !
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2010, 08:14:42 PM »

Maybe it depends on how socially conscious you are?  On the competition floor everyone maintains frame so your DP does the same - but on the social floor the focus is to not hit anyone and to accomodate all varieties - so he's just adjusting to that.

I think you are right though - keep him off the social floor, its obviously not good for his competition technique - assuming, of course, that the latter is the priority... Wink

waltzelf
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2010, 10:31:58 PM »

He is moving his head around in standard to look around in case we are going to bash into someone rather than keeping it left.

You need a new teacher if your teacher is telling the man he should have his head "left."
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2010, 12:59:05 AM »

He is moving his head around in standard to look around in case we are going to bash into someone rather than keeping it left.

You need a new teacher if your teacher is telling the man he should have his head "left."
Isn't that a bit extreme?  Do you look straight ahead when you dance?

dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2010, 07:22:38 PM »

Okay forget left, I meant straight and still.

But dont the man still stretch to the upward left hence for most part the eye is looking straight but more towards the left of the partnership ?

I am really bad with words so may not be able to convery myself properly ...

Actually looking at elisedanse partner .... that was what I meant by 'left'

He is very 'fidgety' when he is on social floor. He just can't keep the stillness !

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:26:10 PM by dancingirldancing » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2010, 08:14:39 PM »

I thought so too DGD - I'm hoping WE comes back and explains...

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2010, 08:39:35 PM »

DGD - his being fidgety on the social floor is likely him looking out for potential collisions. It is impossible to dance socially exactly how you would at a comp. Very few other people are looking out for you, they all move slower, and they're unpredictable.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: