partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 01:41:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Judging (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  what are judges looking for?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: what are judges looking for?  (Read 6115 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2010, 12:27:46 PM »

[I made a new topic out of your post C Smiley ]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 12:31:05 PM »

Excellent!  Thanks.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 12:40:26 PM »

[I made a new topic out of your post C Smiley ]

A good girl!!!  Tongue  Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 12:45:14 PM »

[thats a relief, I thought I might get into trouble... ]

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »

their students
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2010, 09:58:19 PM »

their students

Sadly enough some of them yes, some are also looking to get new students by being a judge. 

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2010, 10:08:24 PM »

their students

Sadly enough some of them yes, some are also looking to get new students by being a judge. 

I have heard of that before but that would not be all of them....it is highly competitative to have the best students at your studio so it will attract others.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »

their students
LOL!

Then we are at a distinct disadvantage... but on the bright side, when we do well it MUST be becaues of our dancing!

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 01:01:56 PM »

It is important to remember that a judge is asked to compare the couples that are on the floor to each other.  The judge may not like or agree with anything that the couple he/she marks to win is doing but they were the best that day/evening.  You also have to remember that what you may feel is great dancing, may not look great.  I think one of the most important things to remember is to be consistent. It is better to dance simple steps that you know inside out and you can do really well even in your sleep than try to something that is exciting. You are not trying to entertain yourself or the audience when you are competing.   You are dancing to win which means you must make it easy for the judge to mark you. Doing simple and easy recognizable steps is easy for a judge to compare.  If you dance intricate steps the judge may not have time to find another couple to compare what you did with.  This means you lose the mark as the judge couldn’t compare you to the other couples.  When I was taught to judge I was told that I should look for principles and not fashion. Below I have listed the principles that my teacher taught me to use when evaluating the couples.

1.  Timing
2.  Posture/Poise
3.  Shape/Swing/Sway/Lines/Rotations
4.  Centers and Body Actions
5.  Male/Female
6.  Footwork and Leg use
7.  Choreography – Balance/Character of dances
8.  Floor craft
9.  Grooming/Etiquette
10. Personality/Musical Interpretation

My teacher told me it would probably be very seldom that I would use all the points on the list to separate the couples.  He told me that he normally separates the couples within 3 or 4 of the points and doesn’t need to go further. Mind you, he was a very experienced judge.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2011, 06:44:55 PM »

It is important to remember that a judge is asked to compare the couples that are on the floor to each other.  The judge may not like or agree with anything that the couple he/she marks to win is doing but they were the best that day/evening.  You also have to remember that what you may feel is great dancing, may not look great.  I think one of the most important things to remember is to be consistent. It is better to dance simple steps that you know inside out and you can do really well even in your sleep than try to something that is exciting. You are not trying to entertain yourself or the audience when you are competing.   You are dancing to win which means you must make it easy for the judge to mark you. Doing simple and easy recognizable steps is easy for a judge to compare.  If you dance intricate steps the judge may not have time to find another couple to compare what you did with.  This means you lose the mark as the judge couldn’t compare you to the other couples.  When I was taught to judge I was told that I should look for principles and not fashion. Below I have listed the principles that my teacher taught me to use when evaluating the couples.

1.  Timing
2.  Posture/Poise
5.  Male/Female
6.  Footwork and Leg use
8.  Floor craft
9.  Grooming/Etiquette

My teacher told me it would probably be very seldom that I would use all the points on the list to separate the couples.  He told me that he normally separates the couples within 3 or 4 of the points and doesn’t need to go further. Mind you, he was a very experienced judge.

DSV

thats a fantastic - if a bit surprising (the order), list DSV - I think we fell to the first two points;  if the judges go no lower they wouldn't even have seen our movement and togetherness...

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2011, 10:33:26 PM »

1.  Timing
2.  Posture/Poise
5.  Male/Female
6.  Footwork and Leg use
8.  Floor craft
9.  Grooming/Etiquette

DSV

Fantastic DSV!

But may I ask, what is the ONE thing that is most important.  Roll Eyes
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2011, 11:05:33 PM »

1.  Timing
2.  Posture/Poise
5.  Male/Female
6.  Footwork and Leg use
8.  Floor craft
9.  Grooming/Etiquette

DSV

Fantastic DSV!

But may I ask, what is the ONE thing that is most important.  Roll Eyes

I can answer that.  #1!!

Without being on time you are not even dancing.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2011, 07:37:09 AM »

I agree that timing is everything.....and if you are out of time to get quickly back into time..... Shocked which leads to me to something else that I will post elsewhere.

I would say that on a crowded floor one of the first things to weed people out, is top line and shape? would that be correct?

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »

Fantastic DSV!

But may I ask, what is the ONE thing that is most important.  Roll Eyes

When I took my adjudicators exam in Europe they were very adament t that #1 was the most important rule. They actually said that "out of time" was an automatic last place.

DSV

[minor edit ee]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:03:55 PM by elisedance » Logged

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2011, 06:10:18 AM »

I agree with the timing. but on a crowded floor and you only a few seconds to view everyone.. would you first go for top line?

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: