partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 06:22:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Pastimes & Chatter...
| | |-+  Just to chat... (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Optimist ..... Pesimist
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Optimist ..... Pesimist  (Read 1676 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: February 25, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »

It varies according to events or mood for sure, but underneath I think we tend to one of the other ...

what brought this to mind is that I often play spider solitaire (its part of the XP windows package) I find it very dissociating and restful and there is little pressure because no one else sees how I am doing.  Basically, you try to get all the cards into running suits and clear them off the board - with each deal you get to move them around untill you run out of options.  

Well, what I' have noticed is that when I deal the next round of a hand I get a surge of positivism that the cards are going to be good.  This is is true even when the deal is awful.  I've always known myself to be an inveterate optimist - it has carried me through the toughest periods of my life (yes, there were a few Wink ) but this is the cleanest demonstration I have seen - the inner expectation that things are going to work well that truly defines an optemist.

So, how about you?  Do you react to chance with a positive expectation or a negative one?

ee
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:29:22 PM by elisedance » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:05:27 AM »

I am an optimist. I have always been an optimist and never look at the P word  Cool. I am surounded by P people it must be my role in life  Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Peaches
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 12:39:44 AM »

I'm not really sure. 

I think I'm probably an optimist...maybe.  I guess I don't tend to think in those terms.  Will things turn out/generally go well or poor?  Dunno, doesn't much matter...they'll turn out how they turn out.  Sometimes that sucks, but it can always be worse.

I'm also very cynical, and that affects things. 

...and then there are certain political/social/religious issues, where I'm 110% cynical pessimist.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 01:26:13 AM »

I just choose to look on the brigher side and if things dont work out I still take a postive stance on it. I wont head down to the mud I always look up at the stars. Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 01:39:02 AM »

I think I am an optimist. Tongue

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 04:29:18 AM »

I'm not sure.... where I stand. I've been picking myself up for years, but setbacks often make me wonder if things are worth the effort. I'm a worrier and I think that makes me more pessimistic....

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 04:43:02 AM »

I'm not really sure. 

I think I'm probably an optimist...maybe.  I guess I don't tend to think in those terms.  Will things turn out/generally go well or poor?  Dunno, doesn't much matter...they'll turn out how they turn out.  Sometimes that sucks, but it can always be worse.

I'm also very cynical, and that affects things. 

...and then there are certain political/social/religious issues, where I'm 110% cynical pessimist.
I find it complicated to apply the term to everything I do but greatly simplified wne I think only about that initial sensation - is something going to work or is it more likely that it will fail?   

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 06:48:20 AM »

I'm not sure.... where I stand. I've been picking myself up for years, but setbacks often make me wonder if things are worth the effort. I'm a worrier and I think that makes me more pessimistic....

There is a song"Always look on the bright side of life" Tongue Can you hear Monty Phython

Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 04:11:16 PM »

Watch those dead toes twitching...
Anyways, I'm pretty much an optimist. Occasionally I get really pessimistic, and incredibly cynical. But tat doesn't happen often (approximately once a month...) so it's all good.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 05:15:26 PM »

I am an optimist. I have always been an optimist and never look at the P word  Cool. I am surounded by P people it must be my role in life  Tongue

Could be, but I sometimes feel that because I am extremely optimistic, I see people a lot of people as pessimists.  Shocked
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »

Could be, but I sometimes feel that because I am extremely optimistic, I see people a lot of people as pessimists.  Shocked

occupational hazzard - though if you are REALLY an optimist you think that they are all going to work out OK 'at the end' Cheesy

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 07:46:28 PM »

no not for me.. I try to encourage them to look at it another way. Words are a powerful thing, use the right words and you can change the situation.

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »

occupational hazzard - though if you are REALLY an optimist you think that they are all going to work out OK 'at the end' Cheesy

and they will! Tongue

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 07:17:02 AM »

wavering today but still an optimist...it always works out especially after a good sleep

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »

optimism had a bit of a knock - but I seem to have a lot of bounce Cool

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: