partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 03:00:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Pivots
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Pivots  (Read 8287 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2009, 09:11:56 PM »

and isn't that just one of the best waltzes ever?

It sure is ranked as one of the best...... Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
samina
Silver

« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2009, 02:12:46 AM »

gorgeous. really enjoyed watching it without the sound. mesmerizing. they are one of my fave couples... i so admire their musicality & body articulation.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2009, 04:34:15 AM »

Y E S !

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2009, 04:48:36 AM »

no dissenters eh?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2009, 06:48:28 PM »

My view of when I first started dancing years ago and I watched Pino: "oh look!  He's just walking!  It can't be THAT hard!".
When I started to compete and take two lessons a week: "oh look!  What he's doing is SO DIFFICULT!  He's a MASTER!"
Now: "oh look!  He's just walking!  It can't be THAT hard!".
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »

oh, that we could all learn to walk the walk!

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2009, 07:46:13 PM »

Isn't that funny? My partner often teases (now that she understands), about how she would become so iritated w/ me when she was confused, and I would say, "Just walk".

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »

The thing i did notice in Elise's video is that pivots seem to be so simple in terms to the steps. From what i saw in that video every step is taken forward or backwards from the standing foot, even the second step where the man moves around the lady the foot seems to just land gently underneath the body and in a straight line from the standing foot. Everything seems to me to be in straight lines. So is this how then to create the ease of movement seen in Pino's pivots?

Zac
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:24:03 AM by ZPomeroy » Logged

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2010, 12:39:42 AM »

The thing i did notice in Elise's video is that pivots seem to be so simple in terms to the steps. From what i saw in that video every step is taken forward or backwards from the standing foot, even the second step where the man moves around the lady the foot seems to just land gently underneath the body and in a straight line from the standing foot. Everything seems to me to be in straight lines. So is this how then to create the ease of movement seen in Pino's pivots?

Actually it isn't in straight lines -- that's an illusion, and it's what I've learned the last two weeks.  Watch what he does with his left foot when he's the partner going backwards.  Trying to make that left foot land in line with the right foot was one of the things I was doing wrong.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2010, 06:50:08 PM »

Zac
I believe that's correct Zac.  The first time I danced them for my coach she looked at me like I had lost my mind 'cause I was trying to create rotation.  Then she taught me that pivots are basically rocks forward and backward.  Creating rotary figures from linear movements is one of the best illusions about ballroom dancing.    
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2010, 04:04:36 AM »

Zac
I believe that's correct Zac.  The first time I danced them for my coach she looked at me like I had lost my mind 'cause I was trying to create rotation.  Then she taught me that pivots are basically rocks forward and backward.  Creating rotary figures from linear movements is one of the best illusions about ballroom dancing.   

can you expand then?  where does the rotation come from?
I find it important to create it on the step in (in waltz we enter from a spin turn).  Contrary to most spins we seem to accelerate if I increase my shape, but surely that is not the correct way to control speed.. 

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2010, 07:00:16 AM »

would it be the body rather than the feet instigate that rotation ? I have yet to see the vid BTW
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:06:20 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »

The step I'm aluding to is a pivot with an ankle lowering out of the spin turn - you use the energy created to power the pivots...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2010, 11:40:46 AM »

can you expand then?  where does the rotation come from?

Good question, and I'm not sure if I can put it into words... I'll ask my instructor tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: