partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 04:05:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Which harder: Man's job or woman's?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Which harder: Man's job or woman's?  (Read 4771 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 01:13:34 AM »

I would say it depends on who you are asking. In my opinion it really depends on the student, the teacher/coach and the School of Thought that is used.

Just saying that something is “difficult” will add on about 2-5 years to the time that it will take to get good or at least be decent. If a teacher is teaching for their livelihood then it would secure their income if they convince the student that it is difficult. Excuse me for saying so but the teacher/coach sure makes a lot more money if they stretch out the learning to several decades. From what I have seen and heard there are a lots of teachers/coaches out there that use that method of teaching.

I personally have always found the jobs about equal in difficulty to learn and do but very different to execute.

DSV

I wonder if it is conditioning on the part of coaches. as it is with children, we teach children what we were taught and they will repeat the behavior if they think it is reasonable. If they dont like it they will do it differently. So it applies to coaches as well, they will only change if they believe there is a benefit to them. Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 01:22:24 AM »

I would say that sounds about right.

Nobody changes unless they see a benefit to the change.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 03:05:21 PM »

I would say it depends on who you are asking. In my opinion it really depends on the student, the teacher/coach and the School of Thought that is used.

Just saying that something is “difficult” will add on about 2-5 years to the time that it will take to get good or at least be decent. If a teacher is teaching for their livelihood then it would secure their income if they convince the student that it is difficult. Excuse me for saying so but the teacher/coach sure makes a lot more money if they stretch out the learning to several decades. From what I have seen and heard there are a lots of teachers/coaches out there that use that method of teaching.

I personally have always found the jobs about equal in difficulty to learn and do but very different to execute.

DSV

I wonder if it is conditioning on the part of coaches. as it is with children, we teach children what we were taught and they will repeat the behavior if they think it is reasonable. If they dont like it they will do it differently. So it applies to coaches as well, they will only change if they believe there is a benefit to them. Roll Eyes

Though, DSV's reply is correct, there is often more to it. Of course changing (growing) benefits me, but, as a coach, I am always looking at things from the studetn's viewpoint, and if I see that changing something will benefit them, I do it. It could be something as small as changing the way I say something, or something as grand as growing/learning, and changing an entire ideology.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 06:33:59 AM »

that is it, we have to tailor it to the student as we all take things in different, I am a very visual learner and then by feel...doing a monologue wont help me at all  Roll Eyes

Dance Forum
drj
Bronze

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 07:58:56 AM »

DSV

In the beginning, I told my instructor, "Don't tell me it's hard! If I hear it's hard, I'll think it's hard, and then I will MAKE it hard! Believe me, I'll know if it's hard for me. But what you think is difficult may not be difficult for me, so please, DON'T TELL ME IT'S DIFFICULT!"

F'rex: for a very long time CBM was ridiculously challenging, even painful, for me, due to physical issues. For him, it's as simple, natural, and easy as breathing, so he never told me that it was hard. Until this week, when it wasn't difficult for me any more, and we talked about it for the first time.

Actually, it's all difficult for me. So telling me it's hard is a waste of breath and effort.

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 08:19:34 AM »

[I clipped Q's post to start a new topic on maintaining shape and frame]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2010, 01:32:02 AM »

ok no problem, it will be interesting I am all for some ideas, anyone?

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2010, 09:15:24 PM »

A man would say his job is harder.
A woman would say her job is harder.

I think we should make them reverse roles.  Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 12:50:29 AM »

I think the coaches job is harder... Roll Eyes

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 06:03:32 PM »

A man would say his job is harder.
A woman would say her job is harder.

I think we should make them reverse roles.  Tongue

well yes I think it is always good to reverse the roles so the other-one experiences, the issues of the other-side.

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 02:17:03 AM »

I think the coaches job is harder... Roll Eyes

Amen.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 03:55:17 AM »

on that basis. would it be good for both the man and the women to learn the other persons part? does it effect your dancing if you  do a boys part like for us in New Vogue or a moder sequence routine.

I assume a teacher has to know both bits, will it make you a better dancer?

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 05:07:36 AM »

There are a lot of comments on PDO stating that this is a big help.  I try to learn a bit about the man's part - I'm actually not sure it makes me a better dancer but what it does do is to really help us solve problems when we get stuck. 

What generally happens is that I will make a misstep in some sequence.  I try to work out what action on my part caused the mistep and we play around with different actions to see if we can fix it.  If that does not work I try to go through the man's motion to see if I can find it.  Most of the time its not much help but on occasion it has been (and then I'm as proud as a peacock - yes, not peahen Wink ) Smiley

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 04:11:37 AM »

There are a lot of comments on PDO stating that this is a big help. 

I am certain of it. One doesn't have to be proficient at the partner's part, but if one knows what the other needs to feel/do, one can better accommodate it. Yes, this makes you a better dancer, as you will move more efficiently in order to achieve the desired result/s.

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 07:57:31 AM »

Man's.....

firstly you have to overcome socieity's conception of how you should be....

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: