partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:28:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  One correct way to dance? Or every couple has their own way?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: One correct way to dance? Or every couple has their own way?  (Read 2071 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 09:30:43 PM »

The teacher is female and a great technician but young.  She did mention that I could mention that I did not understand the step or what he was doing but I would be just saying that to make him feel like I was not attacking him.  I think she has alot of students who fight and she is hoping that if one of them does not say anything than there will be no arguments.  Of course her tactic did not work for her as she and her partner split, though are still friends.

Many young teachers have not been fortunate enough to have their mentor/teacher/coach help them to learn to teach. I have found that when the students each have their own jobs to focus on then they argue a lot less. It doesn’t help to just have one person say nothing, as the problem doesn’t get solved that way. It sounds like you need to find a different way of finding and developing the communication skills needed for a great partnership to work. There are many ways of finding and developing these skills so go out and look for a new way.

I look at it this way.  You are not going to agree with everything but you don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  I may not agree with everything she says but she does have alot of good things to offer and we have learned a great deal from her, especially my DP.  I have had to know what works and what does not for me and also for my DP.  He has mentioned that we can stop going to her but her value in other areas would keep me going to her. 

I agree. You will never agree on absolutely everything. I don’t know any partnership that does. Sometimes my partner and I would just agree that we disagreed. You have to look at what you are gaining from the lessons. If you gain is worth the price you pay according to your (you, your DP and the partnership) view point then you stay, if not then you leave.

I suppose that is all part of it, being able to understand and make informed decisions on what works for you, your DP and your partnership.  I find most people have a tendancy to stay with an instructor long after their shelf life due to loyalty.  We have to realize when to stay and when to move on and why.   

That is very true. It is all about what you, your DP and your partnership deicide is good and working for you. My partner and I would actually make a list of our teachers and go through each name to make sure we were getting what our moneys worth with each and everyone of them. I must say that in the 5 years that we danced there were teachers that just didn’t work for where we were going with our dancing.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: