partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 11:56:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116406 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  dancing with eyes closed
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: dancing with eyes closed  (Read 975 times)
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« on: February 23, 2010, 12:12:38 PM »

I danced (blues) last night with my eyes shut; and the 'I' that is my eyes disappeared and there was a lot more feel of the music and even my partner disappeared in favour of there being just music and moving.......

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 03:23:07 PM »

My coach makes me do this quite often during lessons to help me with following/feeling the lead & music.  Makes a huge difference to dancing and the feeling is amazing.  Ability to hear changes completely but I really have to trust the lead  Grin

Dance like you're going to fall over
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 04:09:08 PM »

I would have my eyes closed all the time if I could.  For me thats what dancing really is and I used to - but its not great for competition so I have to stop myself from getting back in the habit by not allowing myself to do it at all.  Well, maybe only rarely Wink

When I stop competing (~2,100) I'll never open my eyes again Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:27:38 PM »

My partner does as well... to a fault. I have even been known to quite often. Amazing how I seem to know (most of the time  Roll Eyes ) where I am. To bring blindfolds to class for the students is nothing foreign to my classes.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 04:41:24 AM »

with out the visual you have to rely on the other senses. we had a blind dancer on our DWTS he did quite well but because he was blind from birth his movement was not fluid or natural has he had nothing to compare it to....he danced very stilted but I thought he did a great job. I am sure if he had more time he would have got better at it.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 05:30:35 AM »

we had a blind dancer on our DWTS he did quite well but because he was blind from birth his movement was not fluid or natural has he had nothing to compare it to....he danced very stilted but I thought he did a great job. I am sure if he had more time he would have got better at it.

I'm not sure I see the logic there (though I'm not saying you are wrong).  Why would a person blind from birth dance worse than one that became blind later? 

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 06:01:54 AM »

we had a blind dancer on our DWTS he did quite well but because he was blind from birth his movement was not fluid or natural has he had nothing to compare it to....he danced very stilted but I thought he did a great job. I am sure if he had more time he would have got better at it.

I'm not sure I see the logic there (though I'm not saying you are wrong).  Why would a person blind from birth dance worse than one that became blind later? 

because some people are visual learners  and have to copy what they see. hence to ape or imitate. Even though he has been blind since birth does not mean that he would not have been a visual learner but he has learnt to adapt.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 06:44:44 AM »

Ah.  Perhaps.  But can one be a visual learner if one has been blind from birth??
I would have thought that that would be pretty stunted - if not its inborn, genetic and unalterable. 

Interesitng question.....

OTOH if he was kinesthetic he would be totally in his element Smiley

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:46:39 AM »

Ah.  Perhaps.  But can one be a visual learner if one has been blind from birth??
I would have thought that that would be pretty stunted - if not its inborn, genetic and unalterable. 

he was good a a sport and I cannot rember for sure, I think it was running... with his lovely dog!

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 04:08:50 AM »

I've taught several blind students, and worked with Marlee Matlin on a film with deaf teens. Both were very educational experiences for all of us.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 04:13:34 AM »

I've taught several blind students, and worked with Marlee Matlin on a film with deaf teens. Both were very educational experiences for all of us.
and how easy was it for them - did any become serious dancers?

[shades of 'scent of a woman']

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 05:03:34 AM »

No. they were all just social students. One of the blind guys did do comps. The kids were just there for the film, though some of them continued to dance.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 06:58:16 AM »

he was good at  sport and I cannot remember for which one, I think it was running... with his lovely dog!

Dance Forum
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:06:54 PM »

Is someone able to talk about different learning styles? Especially kinesthetic...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »

Thats me!  according to online tests I'm 80% K!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: