partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 06:04:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116513 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus
| | | |-+  New Vogue (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | | |-+  Reverse Viennese turns (swing waltz)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Reverse Viennese turns (swing waltz)  (Read 3011 times)
NZ_Guy
Intermediate Bronze

« on: February 16, 2010, 12:42:17 PM »

Does anyone have any advice for doing Reverse Viennese turns around corners? I'm finding it pretty tricky. They are smooth and fine on the straight, but when I have to turn a corner it turns very very messy.

Just a matter of practice, or are there things I should keep in mind?

Thanks!

(The New Vogue 'Swing Waltz' (and perhaps others?) require Reverse Viennese Turns, and it may be necessary to do them on corners)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:32:04 AM by NZ_Guy » Logged

-T.

Hanging out on the friendlier dance forum.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:33:28 PM »

Perhaps, if you can, space it so that you aren't turning a corner whilst waltzing. Apart from that, I can't really help.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:53:24 PM »

Does anyone have any advice for doing Reverse Viennese turns around corners? I'm finding it pretty tricky. They are smooth and fine on the straight, but when I have to turn a corner it turns very very messy.

Just a matter of practice, or are there things I should keep in mind?

Thanks!
both partners have to alternate a large and a small step, depending on where they are - if you are on the inside its small and on the outside its large.... resist the temptation to do all the work by yourself, it has to be shared

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:17:32 PM »

Use a Viennese left turn to navigate a corner?   Huh  I'd avoid that if at all possible.  You'd have to do 1-1/4 revolutions.  Use a right turn.  If you can't because you're on the wrong foot, use a twinkle or a foxtrot ad lib.  Am I misunderstanding the question?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:56:44 PM »

I hope I was too, seeing as we are talking NV dancing!  I was assuming that this one is based on VW and the challenge was to get round the corner not with a natural but with a right turn.  Its not the easier way but it does make life a lot easier since you don't have to add more change steps which don't look good and can end you up beyond the dance floor....

hope we're not off base here....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 10:08:57 PM »

Please ignore. I thought was talking about V.Waltz but apparently Waltz related question.

Update: Well I just watched a couple Swing Waltzes on YouTube and looks like based on V. Waltz. Not really familiar with NV. Anyway here is a YouTube with Luca and Lorraine doing rev turns around the short line. It's about 30 secs in. Maybe can pick up some pointers from that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feBDc7iKGpQ
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:23:16 PM by pruthe » Logged

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 10:49:11 PM »

I dont think it matters if it is new vouge or normal VW as they are the same... it is just that in a new vouge dance you only do a maxiuium of four before restarting the routine.

As someone has mentioned you must practice going round a corner and the person on the inside must make it smaller so the person on the outside has less to do. which dance were you referring it to?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 12:24:09 AM »

We try and time it so that we are not in the tight corner.  We sometimes cut the corner or dance more into the corner depening on how many couples are close to you and also the size of the floor.  You can also sometimes take the first bar at a slightly different angle to help you get around.  Your teacher should be able to give advice on how to get around easily.  I have never found it a problem.  Grin mm
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:15 AM »

cant say we have either, but where I do have problems is occasionally when doing the swing waltz and have to do the six step turning and it is a corner I can autally get further away from V so it is hard to come back to hand hold  Roll Eyes. but we are getting better at it.

Dance Forum
NZ_Guy
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 04:41:57 AM »

Tried it again today with some success.  Although the last three steps (when I'm on the inside) is almost a heel turn...  Undecided

-T.

Hanging out on the friendlier dance forum.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 04:59:08 AM »

Tried it again today with some success.  Although the last three steps (when I'm on the inside) is almost a heel turn...  Undecided
If I am right, you do forward, forward, cross (left leg on outside of partners and right leg brushed inside of same leg..this is visualizing the girl bit), then you do three small turn steps, step to the side close. which is virtually done on the spot. so that may be the bit that feels like a heel turn.

Mummsie is very good with the technique so is SW. I wait to see what they say

Dance Forum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »

then you do three small turn steps, step to the side close. which is virtually done on the spot. so that may be the bit that feels like a heel turn.

What she said... don't let your feet spin or pivot, just take really small steps.  As small as you need to, depending on how much your partner moves. 
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 06:55:15 PM »

yes the last three steps are quite small otherwise your poor partner will be doing a gallop to try and catch up to get back into the starting position.  If your steps are too big, you will find her passing her feet instead of closing on the last bar before you start your three step at the beginning. - mm
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 01:55:03 AM »

As a guy, I would stretch MORE to my left.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 02:38:10 AM »

I would treat the last 3 steps differently as a guy. What I aim for is for the lady to do less to end up where she's suppose to be at, and sometimes I end up having to do more to create the space for restart. Namely in the last 3 steps, I go back slightly diagonal, large step to the side and away from the lady, close.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: