partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 08:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  dancing to your strength
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: dancing to your strength  (Read 3029 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: February 06, 2010, 03:26:20 AM »

This topic comes from advice from my coach - that you can not be good at everything (well, unless you are the world champion perhaps - and if so, welcome to PDO Cheesy)

We all have strengths and weaknesses, they depend on our physical and psychological selves and also on our partnerships.  The trick to success is to emphasize the former and minimize the latter.  Also, coach said that you should not try to do everything but be sure to sell your chosen strengths so that the judges get a clear picture. 

I've thought on this some and think it great advice.  We are a tall couple and we move well so movement, frame and grace are our strengths - however, its difficult for us to do very sharp and quick actions, so we can look sluggish doing very complex and quick steps.  This means clear strong actions in tango but not so much snappy routines.  Also in quickstep we are good at scatter chassee types of actions but less so at woodpecker static ones or moves that require fast changes in direction.

What are your strengths and weaknesses?  How are you selling your best?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:39:25 PM »

Realizing that it is not directly answering the question.... wise words from your pro.

My strength/s... understanding music and kinesthetics. OK, ...tangos and the latin dances. But, though we won our share (including top 6 at Ohio once), my coach shockingly told me, "You are going to make one hell of a coach. A much better coach than competitor. Quit, and focus on that." Can you imagine? So, I guess my real strength is teaching.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:43:17 PM »

Realizing that it is not directly answering the question.... wise words from your pro.

My strength/s... understanding music and kinesthetics. OK, ...tangos and the latin dances. But, though we won our share (including top 6 at Ohio once), my coach shockingly told me, "You are going to make one hell of a coach. A much better coach than competitor. Quit, and focus on that." Can you imagine? So, I guess my real strength is teaching.

thats pretty funny - but also could be grossly undervalued.

I can only make analogies to my own career (obviously not to my dancing).  I have been fortunate to publish in some of the worlds best journals - not a lot but enough to experience the thrill.  I have also trained a couple of outstanding scientists.  The difference is uncomparable - whereas the thrill of the publications lasts for 6 months to perhaps a year, that of the young scientists is life long - you sit back in awe and see what you contributed to...

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 11:50:16 PM »

My strength/s... understanding music

I'll ditto that for myself, and expand it to include emotional connection and character of the dances.  Although I'm not sure how we dance to accent that other than my being very picky about choreography for showcases.  At Bronze, you don't have much opportunity for it at competitions.  My pro and all my coaches also say I've got great legs, but again, not sure if or how I dance to accentuate that.

Of course, I guess a better question would be, can you even have true "strengths" at a Bronze level? Huh
samina
Silver

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 02:37:10 AM »

for my part... still evolving to the point where i can begin to really see/know what my strengths are and are not. too early to tell, IMO. learn, learn, learn at this point... and remove the hindrances to those potential strengths.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 03:14:59 AM »

My strength/s... understanding music

I'll ditto that for myself, and expand it to include emotional connection and character of the dances.  Although I'm not sure how we dance to accent that other than my being very picky about choreography for showcases.  At Bronze, you don't have much opportunity for it at competitions.  My pro and all my coaches also say I've got great legs, but again, not sure if or how I dance to accentuate that.

Of course, I guess a better question would be, can you even have true "strengths" at a Bronze level? Huh
Of course - just look at a bronze competition with a different eye: every couple is working on something different.  Sadly we tend to differentiate them by their weaknesses (a common flaw IMO) we should be looking at them for their strengths.  Though a suppose lack of weaknesses are strengths too in a way...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 04:34:29 AM »

I think my strengths are interpreting the music and presenting the dance. I am often told that we have presence on the floor. As we are early in our dance journey Iwonder whether some of things that we are strong in will go back and others come to the fore?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 06:47:18 AM »

I've been told that my strengths are my arm movements, because they usually look good without a lot of tweaking, and suit the character of the dance.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 10:53:14 AM »

I think my strength was that I dance the ladies job more then most other ladies. The reason I say "I think" is because I always saw and still see room for improvements so I didn’t really see it as strength but more as a necessity.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 11:05:31 AM »

I think the biggest key to this little exercise is looking deep within and making an honest checklist of one's weaknesses.  For example, I "think" my Latin is better than my Standard, but my coach laughed when I said that.   Grin

Once I've identified all my weaknesses I can start to showcase my strengths.  Right now, I don't have a clear idea of what my weaknesses are.  What I thought were strengths are apparently weaknesses... which is the worst place to be at!
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 11:07:48 AM »

Another reason I miss my previous teacher who will not be available for 3 months. hehe.....

I heard this many times from my previous teacher, and he wanted to emphasize my strengths in the routines.

According to him, I have nice legs, feet, and ankles. Also, I am very fast and can spin and turn very well.

One of my weaknesses is that I am short. Huh So I can't create graceful movements and lone lines compare to girls who
are much taller than I am. But, he still managed to talk to me create longest lines possible.

Another weakness I have is my upper body. I have kind of stiff upper body,especially shoulders, and it shows while I am dancing.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 11:18:49 AM »

Another reason I miss my previous teacher who will not be available for 3 months. hehe.....

I heard this many times from my previous teacher, and he wanted to emphasize my strengths in the routines.

According to him, I have nice legs, feet, and ankles. Also, I am very fast and can spin and turn very well.

One of my weaknesses is that I am short. Huh So I can't create graceful movements and lone lines compare to girls who
are much taller than I am. But, he still managed to talk to me create longest lines possible.

Another weakness I have is my upper body. I have kind of stiff upper body,especially shoulders, and it shows while I am dancing.

You have the important strengths  - specially for latin and also for tango and maybe quickstep in standard.  You can also do well in the other standards since you can easily add complex routines.  We giraffes have to go for basics with lots of gracious movements...

But do work on that back, its essential for an effective latin action.  Perhaps you can get specific excercises to loosen it up...

samina
Silver

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 06:52:49 PM »

Right now, I don't have a clear idea of what my weaknesses are.  What I thought were strengths are apparently weaknesses... which is the worst place to be at!
lolz... weaknesses i've always been good at identifying for myself with dancing. like shooting fish in a barrel...  Cool
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 07:37:47 PM »

lolz... weaknesses i've always been good at identifying for myself with dancing. like shooting fish in a barrel...  Cool

I would so agree with that statement. I would probably hit at least 10 to 20 with one shot Tongue. I have millions things that I know I could have done and can do better. Oh well..... life goes on and the next generations are going at it.  Cool

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 09:36:25 PM »

I am not sure what my strengths and weaknesses are either. I have issues I am working on, but I don't want to see them as weaknesses, because for me a weakness implies that it is something that cannot be fixed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: