partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 11:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  The (new) Quantal Shift topic
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: The (new) Quantal Shift topic  (Read 9737 times)
samina
Silver

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 09:25:54 PM »

He called it the black, white and red (phase). He said that all principles but go through every phase (color) and then once red has been reached then you should go back to black and this time it would be at a new and higher level. I am still just in the beginning of grasping it so I can't explain it in a simple manner. It would probable take me thousands of words to explain right now. I will keep working on it and get to a point where I can explain it in a simple manner.

DSV
has been working in my mind... i see the black as the darkness that prompts the Question, seeking answers... the white as illuminated Understanding... and red as Demonstration, putting action behind the Understanding. after the Demonstration, as the continuum of learning is infinite, a new question arises... how to apply with more depth, more freedom, with greater capacity for use of energy/creativity, etc.

don't know if that's anywhere near the paradigm that spoke to your mentors, but that's what mine are saying. Wink Cheesy

the BWR-QUD paradigm, lolz.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 11:36:17 PM »

You can make yourself nutso about anything -- step, action, in-betweens, whatever. Why on earth would you want to? This is a Nike moment, sort of: just *don't* do it.
So well put.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2010, 04:15:35 AM »

has been working in my mind... i see the black as the darkness that prompts the Question, seeking answers... the white as illuminated Understanding... and red as Demonstration, putting action behind the Understanding. after the Demonstration, as the continuum of learning is infinite, a new question arises... how to apply with more depth, more freedom, with greater capacity for use of energy/creativity, etc.

don't know if that's anywhere near the paradigm that spoke to your mentors, but that's what mine are saying. Wink Cheesy

the BWR-QUD paradigm, lolz.

That sounds a lot like what I am thinking. Looking back at my time with him that comes very close to the experience I had. I have been teaching that way but as a total unconscious competent.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
drj
Bronze

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2010, 07:47:46 AM »

Yes! Yes! And the Law of Rhythm appears AGAIN! Woo-hoo!

just one q: bwr-qud?  Huh

nevermind, black-white-red, question/understanding/demonstration Ok, I can read...  Embarrassed I"m going with qud, myself. Resonates with me. HUGE. Thank you!

ancora imparo
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 10:40:54 AM »

EEK  i'm outta here

snort
snort
snort

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 05:56:39 AM »

I think we had a quantal shift yesterday during practise.

We have had a chronic problem with dancing on time.  I always feel we are approximately there but it just never clicked - and both judges and spectators have commented.  Last night we were working on waltz (on a gorgeous floor with lots of space and very few other dancers) and we have a complex corner and exit into a drop lock followed by a fallaway-bounce.  After doing these a few times I commented to DP that I never feel the beat of the music during these two exiting steps and never knew whether we were on time or not. 

We danced them again - and something happened.  We nailed not only those two figures but everything after too.  Same thing next couple of times - then same in foxtrot.  You could set a watch to the beat of our dance!  It was truly exhillarating for me, I got lost in the dancing in a way I have not for years.  What had happened was that perhaps for the first time DP was dancing to the music and I was dancing to him.  The hierarchy was actually there.  I suspect that DP has just become suffidiently confident with the routines that he can dance the steps without focusing on them - and this frees him to listen to the music.  I'm hoping that this is going to make a true quantal shift in our performance.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2010, 09:01:32 AM »

Now that's an exciting shift-moment indeed. Did DP say how he felt as well? Similarly?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2010, 12:03:07 PM »

DP is the strong silent type.  Swoon.
 (And Grrrr...)

So he wouldn't admit there was anything different.  But I know he was rather pleased...

samina
Silver

« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »

it may be that you have the ability to assign some specific meaning to it that he doesn't, but that he can feel it anyway.

sounds good anyway you put it, tho.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2010, 01:46:45 PM »

Your post made me really think about my dances Elise. The only dance I was taught to follow the rhythm was the Tango, and therefore, it has been the bane of my Standard always chasing behind the music. On the other dances, I don't think about timing at all and therefore, I have no issues with it.  I need to really let go of timing in Tango.  I've been so scared to let go of it for fear of being off time.  However, I think that very same fear is keeping me behind the music (fear of stepping out too soon).  I need to just take the plunge and not fear the consequences.  No timing! ...ooh!  Actually I figured out that I have the same issue in Samba and Paso!  Thanks Elise!!!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2010, 02:11:54 PM »

Well, thats where we were coming from - no thinking about the timing and whatcha know, we were totally off.  I think there is a right of passage between being ignorant of the rhythm, of being on (as close as you can) the beat and then reaching the nirvana of not needing to think about it at all.

Istn't that the case for all of dancing - maybe all of any art.  A painter has to think very carefully how to mix and apply his paints when he is learning as does a musician for the quality of the note etc but once mastered no thought is necessary at all.

I find lots of paralells between my violin playing and dance - the thing is to learn about 'art' which supercedes both...

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2010, 07:23:53 PM »

Elise, that reminds me of my favorite quote from the movie, "The Forbidden Kingdom":

" Kung Fu, hard work over time to accomplish skill
A painter can have Kung Fu
Or the butcher
Who cuts meat every day with such a skill
His knife never touches bone

Learn the form
But seek the formless
Hear the soundless
Learn it all
then forget it all
Learn the way
Then find your own way

The musician can have Kung Fu
Or the poet who paints pictures with words

But do not name it
for it is like water
Nothing is softer than water
yet it can overcome rock
It does not fight
It flows around the opponent

Formless, nameless

The true master lies within
Only you can free him. "
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2010, 07:25:53 PM »

This also explains why my coach never imposes her way on me.  She only helps me find mine.  I guess she knows that the true master lies within and only I can free him.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 07:27:32 PM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2010, 08:06:55 PM »

I buy that - but lets not forget that many on PDO are beginning and have to go through the learning vstage to reach the promised land.  Surely we don't want to give the impression that you can go from crib to championship without a substantial amount of work?

drj
Bronze

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2010, 09:44:52 PM »

Elise, that reminds me of my favorite quote from the movie, "The Forbidden Kingdom":

" Kung Fu, hard work over time to accomplish skill
A painter can have Kung Fu
Or the butcher
Who cuts meat every day with such a skill
His knife never touches bone

Learn the form
But seek the formless
Hear the soundless
Learn it all
then forget it all
Learn the way
Then find your own way