partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 05:40:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116483 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  The (new) Quantal Shift topic
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: The (new) Quantal Shift topic  (Read 10248 times)
drj
Bronze

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »

Wow this topic has me waxing - but its a super description of a photon, the elemental unit of light.  It has matter and it has energy but you can not separate the two... perhaps that is a terrific mascot for this kind of thinking...

Applause! Applause! That's PERFECT and so few things in life are perfect. My new dance metaphor: the photon. Thank you! Kiss

ancora imparo
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2010, 07:13:35 PM »

so is the in between , the time between the steps, moving from one to the other?
I think DSV means that only crudely.  As I read it, its between 'being' and 'behaving'  and isn't that true of all life?

Wow this topic has me waxing - but its a super description of a photon, the elemental unit of light.  It has matter and it has energy but you can not separate the two... perhaps that is a terrific mascot for this kind of thinking...
Well, if DSV is anything like her sister, then there is nothing more to read into it.  What she says is what it is.  I think her sister has made me understand a tiny piece of this.  The minute I started working on the in between part, the rest of it seemed to take care of itself.  It's really hard to explain, but really simple to execute. 
drj
Bronze

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »

Well, if DSV is anything like her sister, then there is nothing more to read into it.  What she says is what it is.  I think her sister has made me understand a tiny piece of this.  The minute I started working on the in between part, the rest of it seemed to take care of itself.  It's really hard to explain, but really simple to execute. 

Simple. But not easy, necessarily.
 Smiley

ancora imparo
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 07:43:41 PM »

Get to platform 9 3/4 go through the portal and you are there. Platform 9 3/4 is in between platform 9 and 10 but most people are so court up in the social consciousness that they can't imagine there is something beyond what their naked eye sees or what they perception tells them.

It is a little like the auras. Some people see them and some don't. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they are not there.

Dancing in between in something you learn when you learn to go beyond what the average dancer does.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »

so is the in between , the time between the steps, moving from one to the other?
I think DSV means that only crudely.  As I read it, its between 'being' and 'behaving'  and isn't that true of all life?

and for me the visual learner it looks like words on a page. I feel so stupid at times Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 11:45:09 PM »

thanks for sharing these thought-provoking personal shifts, DSV... they have me thinking. or rather... non-thinking. Wink
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 01:05:04 AM »

thanks for sharing these thought-provoking personal shifts, DSV... they have me thinking. or rather... non-thinking. Wink

Yes, I am not sure what to think or not to think. Cheesy Should I be thinking about it or should I be non-thinking?   Tongue

....Now that is a question worth thinking about. Wink

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2010, 01:15:13 AM »

Well, if DSV is anything like her sister, then there is nothing more to read into it.  What she says is what it is.  

My sister is much more “Vulcan” (cold) and pragmatic then I am. She is a controller/analyzer (which makes her be more direct, domineering and less patient then I am, Shh don't tell her I told you)  I am a analyzer/supporter (which makes me more subtle, going with the flow and patient). We have similar training but portray and convey our training different.

DSV

Shh, I still love her and all her little issues Wink Shh
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:39:00 AM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 07:31:38 AM »

we wont tell  Lips sealed our lips are sealed

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 06:56:07 PM »

Lips sealed  ...although I think I've already had this discussion with her.  You two are VERY different personalities.  

Going back to dancing in between, I pondered it more and realized that dancing in between takes away the expectation of the end point.  

One of the main reasons for arguments with my partner was that we always had a basis for comparison and comparing our performance from one step to the next, one day to the next, one dance to the next, etc., kept giving us an unattainable "constant" to try and achieve.  Law of perpetual mutation says that the only constant is "change".  However, in ballroom dancing, conventionally we're taught what a natural turn should feel like every time, or what a throwaway should feel like every time, giving us an unattainable constant to try and reproduce.  "That natural turn felt terrible compared to the one we did earlier in our routine", "last week it felt better", were the starting points of our arguments and frustrations.  

I think the trick your sister used was to give us a completely unpredictable in-between point to concentrate on that made predicting the end point impossible.  In other words, now it's impossible to predict what each step would feel like.  Having a different in-between point and a completely unpredictable end point took away all our expectations from one step to the next, from one picture line to the next, from one dance to the next, giving us no basis for comparing our performance.  Quite ingenious.  If only I had the mental capacity or verbal skills to put something so simple down on paper to where everyone won't go, "you're crazy".   Undecided  

drj, you're right, it's "simple" concept, but not necessarily easy... just like ice-skating (not difficult either).  
samina
Silver

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 07:07:51 PM »

Yes, I am not sure what to think or not to think. Cheesy Should I be thinking about it or should I be non-thinking?   Tongue

personally, i would like to hear more about both points. i feel like i only munched on the appetizer, and there's a great meal forthcoming...  Cool Tongue
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 07:11:47 PM »

i feel like i only munched on the appetizer, and there's a great meal forthcoming...  Cool Tongue

I have the same feeling. I would like to get to the main meal soon. I am looking forward to learning more and experiencing more.  Grin

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »

Going back to dancing in between, I pondered it more and realized that dancing in between takes away the expectation of the end point. 
and that sums it up exceedingly well.  But can you eventually end up anticipating the 'in between' so that the 'in betweens' become the actions themselves?  'I felt much more stable in between the natural turn and the turning lock than before'  so that they become the new enemy?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
drj
Bronze

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 08:25:03 PM »

and that sums it up exceedingly well.  But can you eventually end up anticipating the 'in between' so that the 'in betweens' become the actions themselves?  'I felt much more stable in between the natural turn and the turning lock than before'  so that they become the new enemy?

You can make yourself nutso about anything -- step, action, in-betweens, whatever. Why on earth would you want to? This is a Nike moment, sort of: just *don't* do it.

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 09:11:59 PM »

Cursed with an over-analytical mind Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: