partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  The (new) Quantal Shift topic
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: The (new) Quantal Shift topic  (Read 10346 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 01:20:32 PM »

My biggest "quantal shift" moment came when DSV told me to imagine what I want to create in my body.  Just imagine in it, and watch what happens.  The hardest part was to not judge what my body would do, but instead, to just be a spectator.  I remember the first time I put it into action was at a competition we drove to out of town.  I was in the midst of moving to my house, so I had been packing and moving boxes for two days and every single joint and muscle in my body was sore and hurting.  When I got to the competition, my body was so badly bent out of shape that I couldn't dance how I trained to, even if I wanted to.  It felt like I was in someone else's body!  I couldn't move a single muscle the way I had practiced.  Having read the old "Quantal Shift" thread, I decided to just imagine what I wanted to do and let my body execute what I created in my mind.  That was the defining moment for me.  When I was on the floor, I realized that my mind didn't care what my body felt like.  Every single thing I did felt foreign to me as my body created what my mind was thinking.  However, looking back, it was one of those performances that I can look at today without cringing (even 'though objectively, it's still a pretty weak performance due to my first time trying this method).  That was my first experience of working from a higher potential (mental) to a lower potential (physical) and to me, that was what was my definition of a quantal shift.   
samina
Silver

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 01:22:51 PM »

i love hearing that story, SG. Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 02:11:35 PM »

i love hearing that story, SG. Smiley
Looks like some more gear shifts might be in the offing too Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 11:46:18 PM »

I just had a major quantal shift today. Grin  I just learned why I have such a hard time explaining the relationship between the male dancer and the female dancer. It was also difficult to explain where one took over from the other. How the two became one and how come when dancing in harmony then one couldn't tell who was in charge. Amazing that after 20+ years of dancing, I just now understand it today and from reading a book on Alchemy of all things.

This is what led to my new found discovery. If you just change the word "alchemist" and “student of alchemy” with dancer, "Sulfur" with male and "Mercury" with female then you have some pretty profound information.

"Sulfur and Mercury are like two dancers who change into one another as they spin around the dance floor. These two principles are sometimes so hard to distinguish from one another as where one is at the beginning and the other at the end of the work. Some alchemist believed they were actually two faces of the same thing. The strange love affair between Sulfur and Mercury is what makes alchemical transformation possible”.

“The kindred affair between Sulfur and Mercury explains a conundrum faced by most students of alchemy in their reading of alchemy text. In some descriptions, Mercury is associated with spirit and Sulfur with the soul. In other text texts, however Sulfur is spirit and Mercury the soul. We can now understand that both views are correct. The identities of Sulfur and Mercury depend on the situation or the context of the discussion. It all depends on where we stop them in their whirling dance.”

Dennis William Hauck

Wow, I now get it……or at least I think I do.  Tongue

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 01:53:16 AM »

I think this is very profound - well, to be honest the dance part of it more than the alchemy, but thereagain you never know what will give you inspiration!

We play with this alot, the alternations in energy and role and I always took that as a key element of body-school dancing, reinforced recently by the discussion on rise and fall (the man is the fall, the woman the rise). 

More insights please Cheesy

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 09:08:51 PM »

I have never read any of that literature so is sound slightly foreign to me. But that does not mean I will not get it down the track, it will happen as a small epiphany one day. Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »

I just had a major quantal shift today. Grin  

"Sulfur and Mercury are like two dancers who change into one another as they spin around the dance floor. These two principles are sometimes so hard to distinguish from one another as where one is at the beginning and the other at the end of the work. Some alchemist believed they were actually two faces of the same thing. The strange love affair between Sulfur and Mercury is what makes alchemical transformation possible”.

“The kindred affair between Sulfur and Mercury explains a conundrum faced by most students of alchemy in their reading of alchemy text. In some descriptions, Mercury is associated with spirit and Sulfur with the soul. In other text texts, however Sulfur is spirit and Mercury the soul. We can now understand that both views are correct. The identities of Sulfur and Mercury depend on the situation or the context of the discussion. It all depends on where we stop them in their whirling dance.”
I really enjoyed this, thanks for sharing, DSV. Cool quantum shift.

Interestingly... The planet Mercury is considered the astrological ruler of the sign Gemini, which archetypally is considered both "AC/DC" as far as incorporating equally and very alchemically both female and male energies, into a kind of "mystical marriage" that represents the interplay between spirit and soul, lower self & higher self, the conscious initiation of thought and the purposeful allowing of the subconscious to enter into the being and "make magic".

Gemini and Mercury are so often considered, astrologically speaking, as being superficial, but they actually represent that intensely transformative domain of alchemy. I have a lot of Gemini in my chart so... the subject is rather dear to my heart. Smiley

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »

My biggest "quantal shift" moment came when DSV told me to imagine what I want to create in my body.  Just imagine in it, and watch what happens.  The hardest part was to not judge what my body would do, but instead, to just be a spectator.  I remember the first time I put it into action was at a competition we drove to out of town.  I was in the midst of moving to my house, so I had been packing and moving boxes for two days and every single joint and muscle in my body was sore and hurting.  When I got to the competition, my body was so badly bent out of shape that I couldn't dance how I trained to, even if I wanted to.  It felt like I was in someone else's body!  I couldn't move a single muscle the way I had practiced.  Having read the old "Quantal Shift" thread, I decided to just imagine what I wanted to do and let my body execute what I created in my mind.  That was the defining moment for me.  When I was on the floor, I realized that my mind didn't care what my body felt like.  Every single thing I did felt foreign to me as my body created what my mind was thinking.  However, looking back, it was one of those performances that I can look at today without cringing (even 'though objectively, it's still a pretty weak performance due to my first time trying this method).  That was my first experience of working from a higher potential (mental) to a lower potential (physical) and to me, that was what was my definition of a quantal shift.   

I am going to try this - both in dance and with music.  There was a time when I would never have taken this seriously but I've either grown a lot - or gone soft in the head Cheesy  But its hard to argue with success however it comes....

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 10:58:07 AM »

Just had two more quantal shifts. Wow, this is amazing.

There were things that my dance father used to say all the time that I am just figuring out now what he meant by. I had actually totally forgotten about it until I read the exact same thing described. I just found out what my dance father meant when he said there are three phases to learning and why he use the colors he did to describe them. Pretty amazing that it has taken me this long to figure out and really hear what he was telling me.

I also found out what the picture that was in both my grandfather’s and my dancer father’s house is all about. I remember asking both of them about it and they both told me that they were not ready to tell me about it. They both told me that when I needed to understand then the picture would reappear and I would find out what it was all about. It was almost like there was a conspiracy going on. Well, there it was and now I understand why they were not ready to tell me and why it has taken me this long to have the picture reappear to me.

It is just so much fun to keep learning and to finally understand what I was told so long ago. Love it! Grin

DSV

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »

Is there any way we can see the picture?  Maybe we can begin our own discovery process...

three phases to learning?

for me:
question what you know,
question what you see; and
question how you interpret

then go back to 1.

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 12:06:06 PM »

Is there any way we can see the picture?  Maybe we can begin our own discovery process...

Sorry, I don't have a way of getting it from the book to the computer. It is also not a very clear picture in the book even when there is no doubt it is the same picture. It is a picture that made no sense to me in any way or form when I first saw it or even when I saw it several year later. I recognized the picture and now understand the rough idea of it but still really have not been able to full make use of it. I have a feeling it will take a little while to fully understand the whole picture.

three phases to learning?

for me:
question what you know,
question what you see; and
question how you interpret

then go back to 1.

He called it the black, white and red (phase). He said that all principles but go through every phase (color) and then once red has been reached then you should go back to black and this time it would be at a new and higher level. I am still just in the beginning of grasping it so I can't explain it in a simple manner. It would probable take me thousands of words to explain right now. I will keep working on it and get to a point where I can explain it in a simple manner.

DSV

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 08:05:54 PM »

I just had another large piece that fall into place. Grin

My main teacher used to say “Most great dancers learn unconsciously to dance in the between, great teachers are unconsciously able to get their student to dancing in the between and master teachers have the conscious awareness of how to get their students to dance in the between.”

The other thing he used to say was “Learn these two word fixed and volatile, learn what they stand for and then learn to dance between them.”

I just read this so now I think I understand what he meant. I have paraphrased it a little to fit dancing.

“Two words you’ll have to learn are fixed and volatile. To be fixed is to be matter-like. To be volatile is to be energy-like. Through various dance techniques, the fixed can be made volatile and the volatile can be made fixed. In other words, the dancing is happening between two states – matter and energy. The magic isn’t in the energy any more then it is in the matter. The magic is in the between.”

WOW, I think I get it.

DSV

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 09:50:32 PM »

Many years ago I studied (on my own) 'graphology' the art (its really not a science) of reading personality from handwriting.  [Or should I say the 'dead art' since few people still write by hand Undecided]  Everyone's handwriting is different and you really could discern quite subtle things about a person from how they did their letters. 

The reason I raise it is because the most effective graphology analysis was to look not at how people formed the letters but how they did the connections between them - the reason is the letters are conscious constructs - you think how to make a letter 'b' but you do not do so with the connectors - so they are a better window to the subconscious.  The analogy here is the magic in the writing is not in the letter or the next letter - but in the inbetween.

And if that is totally obscure then I'm sorry, its just what came to mind....

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 07:58:02 AM »

so is the in between , the time between the steps, moving from one to the other?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »

so is the in between , the time between the steps, moving from one to the other?
I think DSV means that only crudely.  As I read it, its between 'being' and 'behaving'  and isn't that true of all life?

Wow this topic has me waxing - but its a super description of a photon, the elemental unit of light.  It has matter and it has energy but you can not separate the two... perhaps that is a terrific mascot for this kind of thinking...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: