partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 06:46:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  The (new) Quantal Shift topic
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: The (new) Quantal Shift topic  (Read 9393 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: February 04, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »

Hold on, this is not the same as the other one - thanks to DSV we already have that one all over PDO Smiley

What I've noticed is that we work on our dancing for ages and little things change, I think there is a slow evolution in technique, but then sometimes there's just this click - a massive shift in how we dance.  Sometimes its triggered by a lesson - the coach hits something that brings all the little bits together - sometimes not, it just happens and you are not the same dancers any more.

I think we just went through two in quick succession: the first was more dance related - it was our partnership, suddenly we started to apprediate each other a whole lot more.  This was triggered by a melt down (by me) but it clearly involved and changed us both. 

The second was a lesson-related one - I learned something in a solo lesson with coach and was so impressed I passed it on to DP and he, smartie that he is, incorporated it in a few minutes.  The straw that healed the camels back Wink

Anyone else have the same eperience?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 09:22:41 PM »

Not sure about that in particular... will have to think about it a bit.  However, I have had my "oh, THAT's what I've been doing wrong!" moment the last two weeks.  Basically, my issue is that I've been excessively concerned with alignments, to the extent that I've been chopping off a lot of my turning and rotating motions.  For instance, when initiating a pivot in waltz, I've been working hard to make sure my first back step is straight down LOD -- and killing all of my angular momentum in the process, to the extent that it becomes a significant physical strain to complete the back half of the pivot.  By letting that initial back step continue the turning movement, I'm finding pivots vastly easier to do. 
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:20:27 PM »

I'm so glad you started this up EE.  The last thread like this turned my whole world around.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 01:08:08 AM »

We have gone through a few partnership meltdowns in the last while as well.  We have had to rethink why we are competing and how so that we can make it work.  It has caused us to realize that we have gotten too intense and forgotten the reason we started.  Now we are trying to put the fun back into our dancing.  We may still be on a rocky ledge but at least now we are trying to get back on the same page.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:24:13 PM »

3 months with my 2nd teacher moved me to the next level definitely. I did not enjoy partner dancing before I met my 2nd teacher.( Yeah! I know it sounds weird.)
I did not have that much style in my dancing and danced like a machine. But, after 3 months I got confidence and changed the attitude toward dancing.

Well, I miss him...... Cry
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 07:25:02 PM »

We have gone through a few partnership meltdowns in the last while as well.  We have had to rethink why we are competing and how so that we can make it work.  It has caused us to realize that we have gotten too intense and forgotten the reason we started.  Now we are trying to put the fun back into our dancing.  We may still be on a rocky ledge but at least now we are trying to get back on the same page.   
Same here.  I guess we all go through rough patches.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 07:40:19 PM »

I have never hear of a couple that didn't go through some rough patches from time to time. If the couple can work out the rough patches and get back on the floor, then they will be stronger a stronger team.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »

I think discovering my ballance was a more rational quantal shift for me - I finally realized that I was responsible for my own weight.  Strange huh?

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 10:30:39 PM »

I finally realized that I was responsible for my own weight. 

Really?  Wink

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 04:03:41 AM »

I finally realized that I was responsible for my own weight. 

Really?  Wink
Yup, I suppose thats what it was put on my feet for.  Though it was difficult at first to not hang onto that person that was conveniently placed infront of me, seemingly for me to be a chrismtas tree ornament on...

drj
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 02:04:47 PM »

May I please have a definition of "quantal shift" because I'm thinking quantum leap and don't know if that's what you're talking about. Thanks.

Looking up "quantal" in the dictionary did me no good here.

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 02:32:08 PM »

heh, same thing really - its probably my subconscious being its usual different-drummer self!

I just checked on google and the first thing that came up (not kidding) was:

Dance Forums - View Single Post - the quantal shift - good to ...
22 Feb 2009 ... Articles and discussion on salsa, swing, tango and ballroom dancing.
www.dance-forums.com/showpost.php?p=666077&postcount... - Cached

Cheesy  twas one of the best threads they ever had... which is one reason I am here Wink

I associate it with chemistry or optics and there are links such as:

v = Vo(r) + V*(r)P2(ri.
by AS Dickinson - 1979 - Cited by 2 - Related articles - All 4 versions
Since this quantal shift is comparable with the effect of the anisotropy, in our comparisons of rainbow angles we have scaled our purely classical ...
www.iop.org/EJ/article/0022-3700/12/18/017/jbv12i18p3005.pdf

but maybe, after the DF experience, its come to mean 'a sudden and dramatic improvement in dancing ability'.  In which case I have achieved a life-goal, which is emulating (if in a very much more humble way) one of Thomas Hardy's semantic achievements...

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 01:47:37 PM »

I just checked on google and the first thing that came up (not kidding) was: Dance Forums - View Single Post - the quantal shift - good to ... 22 Feb 2009 ... Articles and discussion on salsa, swing, tango and ballroom dancing. www.dance-forums.com/showpost.php?p=666077&postcount... - Cached

Cheesy  twas one of the best threads they ever had...

Agreed. One of the best, and I'm glad we're talking about it again. at the risk of sounding ...however, I have had amazing coaching from amazing persons from the beginning, and thankfully have been able to apply/teach a great amount of it. What I find from threads such as this, is that I continue to grow as well.

Love it.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
samina
Silver

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 03:29:58 PM »

What I've noticed is that we work on our dancing for ages and little things change... but then sometimes there's just this click - a massive shift in how we dance.  Sometimes its triggered by a lesson ...sometimes not, it just happens and you are not the same dancers any more.

yep. i'm thinking it's all about how you handle the "things not changing" or even the "things really, really sucking" times. not allowing frustration to paralyze... reaching through the limits to find the answers one needs "no matter what"... questioning, being open, paying attention, listening... creating less and less effort however one can... and eventually some new "quantal" shift happens.

just seems to be a universal thing, whether it's dancing or anything else in life. same principles, same process... how bad do you want it and how easy can you let it become? the paradox...lolz... Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 04:39:13 PM »

What I've noticed is that we work on our dancing for ages and little things change... but then sometimes there's just this click - a massive shift in how we dance.  Sometimes its triggered by a lesson ...sometimes not, it just happens and you are not the same dancers any more.

yep. i'm thinking it's all about how you handle the "things not changing" or even the "things really, really sucking" times. not allowing frustration to paralyze... reaching through the limits to find the answers one needs "no matter what"... questioning, being open, paying attention, listening... creating less and less effort however one can... and eventually some new "quantal" shift happens.

just seems to be a universal thing, whether it's dancing or anything else in life. same principles, same process... how bad do you want it and how easy can you let it become? the paradox...lolz... Smiley
beautifully put...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: