partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:39:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  The (new) Quantal Shift topic
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: The (new) Quantal Shift topic  (Read 10019 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2010, 10:54:03 AM »

That is a HUGE breakthrough!  Welcome to dance bliss!  I'm sure your partner is also telling you how much clearer she can read you now.  I equate it to typing and playing Xbox games.  If I think of which keys or buttons I want to press, I do them both horribly.  If I don't control it and only think of what I want the outcome to be, my body takes care of all the buttons perfectly.  The only key on my keyboard that I can tell you where it's at is the letter "Q", .... and of course, the space bar.  I couldn't even tell you where the "enter" button is.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:55:44 AM by Some guy » Logged
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2010, 11:21:42 AM »

the difference for me has been not just rise and fall but gradual acceleration and decelleration during the action.  It feels more and more like riding that bicycle up and down the little hills...

straight to the double entendre thread with you , missy!

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2010, 11:31:10 AM »

the difference for me has been not just rise and fall but gradual acceleration and decelleration during the action.  It feels more and more like riding that bicycle up and down the little hills...

straight to the double entendre thread with you , missy!
wait a minute, should the banished be the who wrote it - or the one that read it that way?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
BLOD
pre-bronze

« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2010, 01:50:37 PM »

just seems to be a universal thing, whether it's dancing or anything else in life. same principles, same process... how bad do you want it and how easy can you let it become? the paradox...lolz... Smiley
[/quote]

yes!!! I love this. Everything that I learn about dancing, processing through the movements and working with a partner is applicable to life. Letting yourself be successful, adapting to change, and being open to seemingly abstract ideas that sometimes grow into common knowledge. In my career I have worked through so many problems that became opportunities to grow into a better dancer. And while this happens my parallel life off the dance floor goes through the same obsticles.

Love it :-)
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2010, 09:49:39 AM »

Had a bit of a revelation over my frame the other day because of something SW said to me. I am now using a much larger left side poise resulting in a larger neck line and an internal rotation. The thought that did this for me was the 'seatbelt' idea, stretching on the space in which a seatbelt sits, this coupled with a new idea i have been toying with involving my shoulders has majorly improved my shape. Now just to create it into a subconscious thought...

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »

Had a bit of a revelation over my frame the other day because of something SW said to me. I am now using a much larger left side poise resulting in a larger neck line and an internal rotation. The thought that did this for me was the 'seatbelt' idea, stretching on the space in which a seatbelt sits, this coupled with a new idea i have been toying with involving my shoulders has majorly improved my shape. Now just to create it into a subconscious thought...

Zac
Ah!  The strong left side!  A good way to get this into your system is to drop your right hand when in hold and see how far you get just with the left hand hold.  Do the Viennese Waltz for maximum results!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »

Zac
Ah!  The strong left side!  A good way to get this into your system is to drop your right hand when in hold and see how far you get just with the left hand hold.  Do the Viennese Waltz for maximum results!
yes, but just remember that dropping your right side you are also eliminating the responder's main frame... Wink

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2010, 03:35:58 PM »

yes, but just remember that dropping your right side you are also eliminating the responder's main frame... Wink
What frame?   Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2010, 07:37:25 PM »

the one you use with the foot-training wheels Tongue

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2010, 12:14:42 PM »

Zac

Hmmm...interesting... wouldn't you drop your left and keep your right hand in hold to see how far left you can stretch whilst maintaining hold and the common centre?
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2010, 03:48:33 PM »

Hmmm...interesting... wouldn't you drop your left and keep your right hand in hold to see how far left you can stretch whilst maintaining hold and the common centre?
Yes, but for a person to whom the strong left side is new, there's a tendency to revert to the "old" way of projecting right side only.  Also there's a tendency to lead the lady with right hand in close embrace.  With only the left side, you're stuck with only using your center and a strong left side projection.  Actually, I shouldn't say, "strong", I should say, "stronger than before" 'cause once you get it, it doesn't really feel "strong" anymore and if you try to make it strong it can cause issues.  My 2 cents.
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2011, 05:06:19 PM »

Dance Forums - View Single Post - the quantal shift - good to ...
22 Feb 2009 ... Articles and discussion on salsa, swing, tango and ballroom dancing.
www.dance-forums.com/showpost.php?p=666077&postcount... - Cached

I like this post - well said samina. Dancing has also changed my everyday life in little ways. I see things differently - I don't know if I can fully explain it yet, though. I see person-to-person interaction differently...like it's made up of little pieces. Those little pieces are actions and reactions, and they have patterns. It's almost as if those patterns have been drawn to my attention in dancing, and then - when I learned how to identify them - I started seeing them in everyday interactions. Once I saw the patterns, I could predict what would happen next. Also, after seeing the pieces and patterns, I'm starting to learn how to manipulate them. An example would be eye contact. One of my coaches told me to focus on my partner when we're standing on the floor waiting to begin. When we're focused, it's like we create a beam or a wall between us and no one else takes that space or tries to set up between us. I've found it successful and I've practiced it in everyday life. If I focus on something in front of me, I don't have those awkward, "Which side are you moving to?" situations in hallways and such.

I'm not a physicist (far, far from it!), but I just realized that what I wrote sounded a lot like particle physics. The image I had in my mind was of John Travolta in Phenomenon.

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
samina
Silver

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »

just seems to be a universal thing, whether it's dancing or anything else in life. same principles, same process... how bad do you want it and how easy can you let it become? the paradox...lolz... Smiley

yes!!! I love this. Everything that I learn about dancing, processing through the movements and working with a partner is applicable to life. Letting yourself be successful, adapting to change, and being open to seemingly abstract ideas that sometimes grow into common knowledge. In my career I have worked through so many problems that became opportunities to grow into a better dancer. And while this happens my parallel life off the dance floor goes through the same obsticles.

Love it :-)
missed this comment -- you still around, BLOD?

i can soooo relate. Cheesy

(and an aside note... even though your quote didn't say who you were quoting, i knew instantly it was from a post of mine when i saw the word "paradox"...lolz... my middle name.  Tongue Cool )
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:59:06 AM by samina » Logged
samina
Silver

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »

Dance Forums - View Single Post - the quantal shift - good to ...
22 Feb 2009 ... Articles and discussion on salsa, swing, tango and ballroom dancing.
www.dance-forums.com/showpost.php?p=666077&postcount... - Cached

I like this post - well said samina.

Thanks for linking to it... was helpful for me, personally, to re-read it:

from my DF post which you quote: when i hit the studio, my lessons, and the comp floor again, i do expect to have made perhaps the largest quantum leap in my dancing so far. and it's because of little things i'm doing every day *off* the dance floor...

Have been thinking every day of late, "the time is near to get back on the floor and see how things have really changed during this down." Am so looking forward...

Dancing has also changed my everyday life in little ways. I see things differently - I don't know if I can fully explain it yet, though. I see person-to-person interaction differently...like it's made up of little pieces. Those little pieces are actions and reactions, and they have patterns. It's almost as if those patterns have been drawn to my attention in dancing, and then - when I learned how to identify them - I started seeing them in everyday interactions.

It's powerful, isn't it? I can say the same for myself.

When we're focused, it's like we create a beam or a wall between us and no one else takes that space or tries to set up between us. I've found it successful and I've practiced it in everyday life.

It's powerful to make the correlation how our focused mind affects our energy & physicality. For me, it is always just amazing...and new.
I'm not a physicist (far, far from it!), but I just realized that what I wrote sounded a lot like particle physics.
Nice. My dad's a physicist... and he doesn't even think like this. I believe I got that "meta-physician gene set" that skipped his generation. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:00:46 AM by samina » Logged
samina
Silver

« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2012, 03:14:12 PM »

So...over on DF the "quantal shift" thread has been revived. Although nobody is posting much in its new go-round, the subject is alive and well in my own mind, and I thought I'd share my thoughts over here, where the community is generally more in alignment with the premises that were discussed in its first go-round.

I'll lead with a copy of what I posted over there:

"as a preface to any new posts, i'd like to share that my hope is that new comments evolve the discussion beyond where it has already been. personally, i'm not interested in another 1000 posts of rehashing "left brain" vs. "right brain", as to my mind that's a pop-psychology over-simplification of a larger mechanism.

i'd love to see this go a bit further in defining that mechanism...and then specifically how to apply it to make a "quantal shift" from a dancer's perspective, however that dancer defines what their quantal shift would entail, be it rapidly becoming the kind of dancer that an adjudicator will give marks to at a particular level of competition, or a comfortable, present & connected social dancer who is happy in her own skin.

and then there are the challenges particular to an older dancer who is trying to make a quantal shift -- there are body challenges involved in that journey that may not exist for a younger dancer, or they may be less of a factor. and there are particular challenges for a late-starting dancer who hasn't spent his or her whole life dancing, even if that dancer has relatively free-flowing body awareness & movement.

there are still a lot of directions or areas this thread has yet to go, beyond the limited (IME) "LB/RB" paradigm."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:06:37 PM by samina » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: