partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:25:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Multiple studios?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Multiple studios?  (Read 1781 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« on: February 02, 2010, 11:55:16 PM »

What's your take on having 2 or more studios?

ie. One studio for Standard, another studio for Latin

or

ie. One studio for competition training, teach at anoter studio

At the moment I face the potential of doing my assistant dancesport coach course at one studio, do my competition training at another studio and teach at a third studio.  Undecided
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:27:13 AM »

We have two coaches that operate at two different studios. was a bit tricky at first but they are both happy now. we feel secure that we are rceving the best on offer in our state between the two of them.

Works for me

It just depends on how much time you have?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:26:44 AM »

What's your take on having 2 or more studios?

ie. One studio for Standard, another studio for Latin

or

ie. One studio for competition training, teach at anoter studio

At the moment I face the potential of doing my assistant dancesport coach course at one studio, do my competition training at another studio and teach at a third studio.  Undecided
we use three.  I have keys for one so we can practise where we like then coach teaches at two different ones.  The neat thing is that one has a slippery floor and the other a very sticky one!  Just don't put us on a good floor OK?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:03:54 AM »

yes I think providers don't mind as long as you are up front!

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:44:58 PM »

Nothing wrong w/ it, at all. One pro/studio for smooth/standard; another for latin.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:09:07 AM »

I think you must look after yourself and the growth of your dancing and if that means being at three studios so be it.

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 08:29:18 AM »

Just had a chat with one of the studio owner, ideally he would want his teachers to be exclusive to his studio, but things can always be worked around. I think that's true with most cases, ideally they want you to be exclusively with them, but they won't stop you from going else where either.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 05:29:40 AM »

some studios here have that rule, but in the end you have to do what is best for your dancing.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 08:10:23 AM »

Just had a chat with one of the studio owner, ideally he would want his teachers to be exclusive to his studio, but things can always be worked around. I think that's true with most cases, ideally they want you to be exclusively with them, but they won't stop you from going else where either.
I think its the same everywhere.  However, in the states at least they get the teachers to sign a do-not-compete contract that protects the studio for a radius of how-ever many miles.  Sometimes these are totally absurd to the point where one studio tried to stop one of its teachers from teaching elsewhere when the studio had closed!  Fortunately, the judge threw it out in court....

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »

Well I guess another thing is protecting the student's best interest too. I will be teaching medallist competitors (bronze, silver & gold). So if my students from the two different studios are to compete against eachother, it gets tricky. At least I know that I will not be partnering any students in teacher-student events. Phew...
samina
Silver

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 12:34:26 PM »

i sure like the independent studio hosting independent instructors paradigm... it's just about paying for space, then, no politics or contractual agreements. seems to be less prone to political drama as well...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 09:14:34 PM »

yes, and I feel it would be great that you can move to different ones without guilt!

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 12:07:47 PM »

sure like the independent studio hosting independent instructors paradigm... it's just about paying for space, then, no politics or contractual agreements. seems to be less prone to political drama as well...
thats the way I've done it for over 10 years now.  It really depends what you are looking for - I was only after training but if you also want to create a social scene by getting to know fellow dancers at a similar stage then a studio can be a great way to do it.  Of course, as you say, there are also hazards such as being estranged and picked on (childhood memories here...) but some people seem to fit into such groups easily and seamlessly...
i

samina
Silver

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »

i like that approach because it supports the independence of the participating instructors... keeps them from the kind of servitude/virtual slavery that i've heard horrid tales of when they're brought over by domineering studio owners who relish taking advantage of the vulnerability of their young imports.

but, well... even that can be a great education for those young'uns. they'll value their independence for the rest of their lives... Smiley
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 02:18:28 AM »

indeed

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: