partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 02:16:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  noticing positive changes
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: noticing positive changes  (Read 1090 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« on: January 28, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »

OK, just for kicks I decided to look at some of my videos in chronological order. So I picked 4 vids each about a year apart. While there is a hugely noticeable difference between the 1st and the last one, I don't see as much difference between the last two. I see that the overall look in the latest one is better than in the previous one, but it's hard point out "ok, this was clearly wrong in the one from 2008, this is now correct in 2009". I'll try to elaborate later, got to go now.

Adding: so I tried to expand on this experiment. I found a spot in each of the vids where I am doing same thing - nat. spin turn in waltz. In the very first one I was visibly off-balance in it (so it was clearly wrong). In the next one, I wasn't off balance, but it looked sort of flat, and in the next two vids there was progressively more shape, but frankly except for the first video, there were no heinous mistakes in that pattern, it just acquired more and more quality. So I was wondering - maybe at some point progress becomes not so much about going from wrong to right, it becomes more about going from OK to good, and the difference seems more and more subtle.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:16:53 PM by ttd » Logged
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:33:36 PM »

I suppose it's like creating a stone statue.  At the beginning you are knocking off large blocks of stone but as the statue gets closer and closer to completion you are down to only small chips then dust as you polish the fine features.  Of course at the beginning you can go fast and bang away with a hammer but toward the end it is the honing of the the small details with a file that takes considerable time but makes all the difference ito the final product.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 01:11:26 AM »

You missed a stage: first you have to chip the rock chunk out of the quarry Cheesy  But I like the analogy.  My only difference is that you can not be too scared about accidentally knocking the head or an arm off, thats almost a required stage of its own!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »

I like that analogy too. Another thing to think about is the style of the sculpture. If you pick a certain style, you would have that in mind while lobbing off the big chunks, then refine that style as you go along. Hopefully the decisions made in style and refinement are the ones that give the best result and wouldn't have to go back later to start from scratch. (I think I had to start from scratch again with my ballroom sculpture.  :-) )

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 01:14:41 AM »

I still think it is a great idea to do...as it give you some clarity and judgement that there is improvement, small that it may be some times. I always look at vids and think I am so high off the floor, so we are working on betting lower and using ankle rise much better. so by the end of the year I hope to see a big improvement int he videos. it sis but a journey after all Tongue

Good of you to do so.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 09:33:41 PM »

I think that's awesome.  

Makes me want to plan ahead and do some really simple choreography, then compare it year to year.  What a great idea! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 04:10:19 AM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 02:36:34 AM »

yes and to see video now, I can actually look at it, still notice the faults but it is way better than it use to be. Change can be in small steps or big ones but to look back and see where you have come from it is great thing.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 03:28:32 AM »

Thanks.  I really appreciate that.  I will work on getting some video to work with in future. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 07:22:16 PM »

But don't you notice without video?  I'm very aware when I can do something with ease that I had to struggle with before.  Best is when you return to something you did a while back.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 10:09:05 PM »

I notice change without video as well. certain steps become much easier to do and flow.  Dancing becomes effortless.  Not that that is always a good indicator. But I think you can tell improvements without video.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 02:59:05 AM »

The best indicator is when my partner stops complaining Shocked Grin

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:53:50 AM »

well I wont know abut that for a long time I think he has a lot to complain about Cheesy Tongue

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »

LOL!  once you solve one, another arises for sure...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 09:30:52 PM »

I think it is when others come up and tell you how much you have changed, we dont notice the small things any more but others do. So if people dont say anything any more then I think it means that we have either got there Tongue or it is time to give up?

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 08:01:58 AM »

I think it is when others come up and tell you how much you have changed, we dont notice the small things any more but others do. So if people dont say anything any more then I think it means that we have either got there Tongue or it is time to give up?

Depends, if you are only dancing to change then maybe.  BUt if you are dancing because you love it whats wrong with that motivation?  People are more likely to say they love your dancing than you have improved...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: