partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 04:35:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Argentine Tango (Moderators: captain jep, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Is this Argentine Tango
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Is this Argentine Tango  (Read 3645 times)
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« on: January 28, 2010, 08:15:32 PM »

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2kJsVv6gOs

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 06:50:49 AM »

I have no idea, because I've never danced AT, but it looks sort of silly.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:40:16 AM »

Well maybe, or put a differentt way, what's the difference between thins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2kJsVv6gOs

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj12nUQKrBE

or this, which might particularly amuse you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4vhOq6wymM

And this. What kind of music is that they are improvising to? I'm reliablly informed this is impossible :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brARNW74fH0&feature=related

Peaches
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 05:34:23 PM »

It all depends on how traditional/narrow a definition you have for AT.

The first two videos are of Nuevo dancing; the first one, in particular really pushes the form with very alternate embraces.  The first is done to "alternative" AT music, the second done to "electronic."

The third video is more traditional (certainly with the music, if nothing else), but done in a very stagey style.  I don't care for that performance at all.

The fourth is another traditional, more social-style AT.  I don't really understand your question...it's a modern performance of one of the most famous traditional tango valses ever.  What do you mean you are reliably informed that it is imposible.  It was done...obviously it's not impossible.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »

I find the first version very unmusical, and it is in my opinion a pretty awful piece of music to dance to. The very choice of music seems to me to indicate the dancers are pretty defiecient in musical interpreation. It looks like ballroom dancers trying to do an 'interpreation' of AT, all technique and no passion.

I like the second version. It looks and feels right - there's passion, musicality and joy in it.

I agree with the third being 'stagey' but its meant to be, I know the context within which it was done.

The 4th was choosen because it was a valse, and we were having a discussion about whether it was possible to 'improvise' a ballroom waltz. My arguement was that since its routine to do that in AT, there are no physical barriers to doing it in ballroom all the barriers are psychological.

The reaction was that it was impossible to anticipate what was going to happen in the music and plan something to fit it.. . .. clearrly the people doing the valse are doing the 'impossible'

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 08:37:32 PM »

The 4th was choosen because it was a valse, and we were having a discussion about whether it was possible to 'improvise' a ballroom waltz. My arguement was that since its routine to do that in AT, there are no physical barriers to doing it in ballroom all the barriers are psychological.

Wait a minute - is this the same poster who was railing on about not being able to see the point of dancing one dance to music from another?

Troll you just totally outed (and made an ass out of ) yoursellf.

And lost any semblance of credibility....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »

A valse is waltz. . . . . . its in 3/4 time

Jumping to the conclusions you want again I fear Elise. . . .

If you knew a little about Argentine Tango you would know that it is not just 'one dance' but a group of dances. Salon, Milonga, Valse. . . .. 

It seems to me that anyone who brings anything new and outside your experience to a debate instantly becomes Troll

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 09:10:16 PM by albanaich » Logged
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 09:10:06 PM »

No, a valse is in 6/8 as is the 4th video you just posted...

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 09:33:16 PM »

A Vals can be either 3/4 or 6/8

Either way, they are still doing the impossible, improvising to the music as it is being played. . .  . no set seqence, no routine, your witnessing 'the impossiible'
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 09:42:22 PM »

I do not believe they would not be using a sequence or two that they like. It would not have been completely made up on the spot, which is very similar to what professional ballroom dancers do all the time.

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
samina
Silver

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 09:48:47 PM »

who said it's not possible to improvise a ballroom waltz??? 

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »

People do it all the time...

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 09:50:13 PM »

I've done it more than once.

And I'm not even a leader...
samina
Silver

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »

People do it all the time...
absolutely. crikey, pretty much every ballroom social dance i've done is improvised... such silliness.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 10:01:20 PM »

I cannot speak for each indivdual case, but I can assure you that AT is generally 'made up on the spot', as is Swing. Yes surely we fit in patterns we are famiilar with, but they are fitted in to suit the music, not ourselves.

That is the fun in dancing for most non-ballroom dancers, whether they be doing AT or Swing or Salsa.

Just because you believe its 'impossible' doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If ballroom improvised, why the discussion in another thread about memorizing sequences and routines?

I'm getting contradictions all the way down the road here. . . . . its musical but you need strict tempo music, its improvised but you need to memorise routines.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: