partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 12:36:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Argentine Tango (Moderators: captain jep, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Is this Argentine Tango
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Is this Argentine Tango  (Read 3636 times)
samina
Silver

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »

there's no point discussing this further with you, IMO, alba. it's not worth the effort because you do not listen -- in the end, it's like having spoken all this time to a brick wall. i have witnessed numerous lengthy dialogues on all of these subjects, across two forums, and it appears you have not absorbed any of the information people took the time to share with you.

for my part, i am done dialoguing with you. the rest of PDO can do as they see fit. all the best to you with your dancing.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 10:06:07 PM »

If ballroom improvised, why the discussion in another thread about memorizing sequences and routines?

Because there is a large difference between social dancing and competition dancing. In Ballroom competition, you memorise a routine, because you don't really want to take a risk of leading something your partner wasn't expecting, and then her not following it. This makes you look incompetent. Far better to memorise routines, and once they're memorised, work on the technique.

That's not to say that we don't get joy out of improvising. The most fun I've had dancing recently was when DP switched from QS to Viennese in the middle of a QS song. It was a 'What on earth are you doing?' moment, but it made me lol.
But just because we have fun while improvising doesn't mean that we also don't enjoy dancing to a strict routine.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 10:09:59 PM »

I cannot speak for each indivdual case, but I can assure you that AT is generally 'made up on the spot', as is Swing. Yes surely we fit in patterns we are famiilar with, but they are fitted in to suit the music, not ourselves.

That is the fun in dancing for most non-ballroom dancers, whether they be doing AT or Swing or Salsa.

Just because you believe its 'impossible' doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If ballroom improvised, why the discussion in another thread about memorizing sequences and routines?

I'm getting contradictions all the way down the road here. . . . . its musical but you need strict tempo music, its improvised but you need to memorise routines.

So if you memorize a cooking recipe does that mean you can not cook without a recipe.
Such blather...
But I agree with Sam - and its really the reason a forum does not need to ban members because they are rude or self-servingly argumentative - eventually everyone just gets tired of the game and goes home - and you become a laughing stock.

Eventually you will either leave on your own accord or will quietly disappear with a little help with no one really caring.  Even the most sympathetic people can get bored.  I suppose at that point you move on to some other forum and play your games all over again - each time thinking I suppose that you are having an impact and a meaning when in fact you are the virtual embodiment of the incredible shrinking man.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »

that topic is about sequences we use. In competition, espically in the lower levels couples do have specific routines, but when we go to the open or professional levels the lead decides what steps are done, to suit first the floor and using floorcraft to avoid eachother, and then secondly to suit their own personality. I do agree with you that couples should also start to think about the musical aspects as well, but is likely not to happen. Ballroom dancers do not specifically need strict tempo, except for in competitions i believe, because first each round in a competition would need to use the same music which would be unfair for the first group of dancers to go on, and would be an advantage for the last group to go and dance. So because of this reason i believe non strict tempo music can only be used for floorshows/showdances, which does happen.

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
samina
Silver

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 10:14:12 PM »

i think that banning has its place... the same way that you delete spam. it is a disruptive invasion into a protected community culture.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »

i think that banning has its place... the same way that you delete spam. it is a disruptive invasion into a protected community culture.
I agree.  But in such cases it should be done collectively - and based on a general malaise with trying to make it work rather than anger, personal differences or retribution.

It seems we are getting pretty close here...

ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2010, 10:56:50 PM »

He actually has quite a valid point, its just the way he has been arguing it that is irritating. Before he was banned last time i did explain what i thought he was trying to get across and it is a very interesting point actually

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
samina
Silver

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 11:03:18 PM »

He actually has quite a valid point, its just the way he has been arguing it that is irritating. Before he was banned last time i did explain what i thought he was trying to get across and it is a very interesting point actually

Zac

it isn't that he doesn't have a valid point... his original point has been made and discussed so many times... and yet his point has not evolved to accommodate the new information that has been generously shared with him. it's as if he's bringing it up for the first time... again, and again, and again.
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 11:06:16 PM »

Yes, i do agree with that Smiley i just didn't write it like that Roll Eyes

Zac

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 01:06:32 AM »

I just don't know what he wants us to say...Oh I see the light you are the right way and the rest of the 99% is  wrong. Undecided move on or move out

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Peaches
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 09:21:12 AM »

I find the first version very unmusical, and it is in my opinion a pretty awful piece of music to dance to. The very choice of music seems to me to indicate the dancers are pretty defiecient in musical interpreation. It looks like ballroom dancers trying to do an 'interpreation' of AT, all technique and no passion.

I think the point is, that when it comes to AT you don't have anything resembling enough background in the dance to be able to pass judgement like this on other people.  Ditto wrt ballroom.
Peaches
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »

I cannot speak for each indivdual case, but I can assure you that AT is generally 'made up on the spot', as is Swing. Yes surely we fit in patterns we are famiilar with, but they are fitted in to suit the music, not ourselves.

That is the fun in dancing for most non-ballroom dancers, whether they be doing AT or Swing or Salsa.

Just because you believe its 'impossible' doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I'm getting contradictions all the way down the road here. . . . . its musical but you need strict tempo music, its improvised but you need to memorise routines.

How about you try actually learning and understanding something before passing idiotic judgements? 

Oh...wait...nevermind.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 09:36:58 AM »

That's how I learn. . . . .
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 12:44:25 PM »

which is ironically, his last post on PDO.... (er, at least as albanaich...)
ironic because I didn't see an iota of learning in his entire time here which is rather sad really...

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »

That makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.........
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: