partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  I'm Impressed
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: I'm Impressed  (Read 6545 times)
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2010, 03:37:25 PM »

Okay, I'm convinced, we've all been punked.  You got us good Albanaich, or should I say, "Ashton"!  I consider myself totally punked. 
samina
Silver

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »

I do find most 'Champion Standard and Latin Dancers' grotesque. . ..  . . when I say most, I mean I haven't found one I wanted to watch, though there must be one out there.

this says a mouthful.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2010, 03:42:12 PM »

To borrow from a TV show I was recently watching: "If everybody has a problem with you, maybe the problem's [expletive] you!"

Gonna repeat this, since it seems nobody noticed it the first time around--and to me, it says it all.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2010, 03:48:37 PM »

I mean this 'real' cha cha cha looks good, its smooth, rolls with the music, lovely dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUycViLg2w

This just looks totally unrhythmic. . . . .all those snappy steps and grotesque arm movements have nothing to do with the music. It's just awfuil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISmOGkAniZ4

I actually found the first video to be somewhat boring. It's good social dancing but not much more there. The second one is a performance, done with great skill and precision. Now I didn't particularly care for the music in either of these videos, but it's hard to please me when it comes to chacha songs. However, those two guys can dance to an icky song and still look awesome.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »

Well I would have thought that was inevititable, given I'm challenging the whole ethos of a dance form. . . . .. . duh.

To reverse the point.

The point is most dancers outside of the ballroom can't comprehend why or how anyone  can consider competition ballroom or latin to have any aesthtic value.

Everyone in the ballroom community says its highly musical.

a) No outside of ballroom can see it

b) If it was musical, why would you need strict tempo music. Isn't that a contradiction?

This is not a debate that anyone can win, its about getting some facts across so we can understand each other.

When someone says 'Slavik is a wonderful dancer' I have to say, on behalf of lot of people outside the ballroom community, 'I can't comprehend the basis on which you make that judgement'. My idea of what makes a good dancer is something completely different.

It's no use getting upset about my opinions, you just have to aware of them an accept them.

albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2010, 04:06:25 PM »

I think the point is, to eyes, 'the great skill and precison' completely destroys any musical interpretation or rhythm.

I want the dance to look smooth and flow with the music, not be interrupted with jerky and fllamboyant arm and legs movements.

They are great displays of skill sure, but they do absolutely nothing for the musical interpretation, quite the opposite.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2010, 05:04:15 PM »

I think the point is, to eyes, 'the great skill and precison' completely destroys any musical interpretation or rhythm.

I want the dance to look smooth and flow with the music, not be interrupted with jerky and fllamboyant arm and legs movements.

They are great displays of skill sure, but they do absolutely nothing for the musical interpretation, quite the opposite.

To your eyes, yes. To mine, on the contrary, it enhances otherwise crappy song, which would cause me to switch stations asap if I caught it on the radio. We can't really argue personal taste.

Here's another example of them dancing cha-cha basics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_jOljHgWI&NR=1
pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2010, 05:23:18 PM »

Why do trolls do it? (from www.flayme.com/troll/)

"I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?"

Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!).

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2010, 08:14:53 PM »

Why do trolls do it? (from www.flayme.com/troll/)

"I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is 'recognition'; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it's a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?"

Remember that trolls are cowards; they'll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that's what they do!).
thanks for the reminder pruthe.  One word comes to mind....
pathetic.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2010, 09:41:45 PM »

This is not a debate that anyone can win,

Then stop trying to.

You've put enough facts across, and so have we. It doesn't seem to be working. We can't understand each other at all.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »

It's no use getting upset about my opinions, you just have to aware of them an accept them.

Why do we have to accept this opinion?  Because it's yours?  That is a statement of pure, utter, pathological narcissism. 

Alb, your being here is just not going to work out.  At this point, you have a choice.  You can leave voluntarily, or we can ban you.  Take your pick.
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »

This is a really unfunny funny type of experience I had.

I was driving back home from work listening to a slow waltz music Io Ci Saro.

The music is really emotional so I started 'dancing' in my mind.

Unbeknown to me I got so much into the song that I actually 'sway' into the other line.

With body sway and all.

Geezzz, that was a close call to accident !

A loud honk from an irritated car behind me 'wake me up' pretty fast !

I don't think I really 'think' about music. I just got overcome by it most of the time.

Hence now it is radio only in my car NO ballroom dancing music !
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2010, 08:29:20 PM »

This is a really unfunny funny type of experience I had.

I was driving back home from work listening to a slow waltz music Io Ci Saro.

The music is really emotional so I started 'dancing' in my mind.

Unbeknown to me I got so much into the song that I actually 'sway' into the other line.

With body sway and all.

Geezzz, that was a close call to accident !

A loud honk from an irritated car behind me 'wake me up' pretty fast !

I don't think I really 'think' about music. I just got overcome by it most of the time.

Hence now it is radio only in my car NO ballroom dancing music !

Oh you have no idea, sometimes I'm on the train listening to ballroom music from my mp3 player and my body would sway as if I was doing a particular step. Quite often I end up dancing my comp routine in my head, and I end up with more sway in the oversway. Shocked Ofcourse, people on the train look at me weirdly.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: