partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 02:12:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  I'm Impressed
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: I'm Impressed  (Read 6674 times)
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 03:45:26 PM »

Oh, and it would like a bit silly dancing a set sequence to a Waltz in 6/8 time that was was muscially complex becuase. .. . . . . get this, your dancing would bear not relationship to what happening in the music. ..  . . . .get it?

Because it is a completely different time signature than what that modern waltz sequence is danced to... Get it?
Maybe you didn't know this, but modern waltz is danced to a 3/4 time signature, meaning that firstly from what you are suggesting you would like me to dance polyrhythms for an entire dance? Do you even know what polyrhythms are?

Zac
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:53:00 PM by ZPomeroy » Logged

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 04:23:22 PM »

Not to mention that Modern Waltz steps are designed for slower music than Viennese.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 04:58:31 PM »

I was suggesting that if you had a Swing or Argentine Tango attitude that would be exactly what you would want to do, it fact, trying to figure out how to make your movements fit the the polyrhythms is the reason why you would be dancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj12nUQKrBE

The reason for posting that music was to show that its impossible to dance to using any set formula, or sequence (the above piece is much the same). If you were to attempt to dance to it you would have to 'make it up as you go along'

This 'making it up as you go along' is the REASON, the motivation,  for non-ballroom dancing. The more musically complex a piece of music is, the more you want to dance to it.

The idea of figureing out a nice complicated sequence of moves, and then picking a nice pice of music with the right tempo and the right time signature to fit it is completely the opposite to the way they approach dance.

That's not to say that what you do is wrong. It's what you do and its what ballroom dance is, but its completely different from every other partner dance.

Someone (a very experienced ballroom and swing teacher)  a few years ago said to me, 'If you want to learn Swing and Ballroom you are going to have to learn to switch brains, you can't do ballroom with swing brain and you can't do swing with a ballroom brain. You'll screw up both, but in different ways'

It's just beginning to come together for me with the ballroom. It was nothing to do with my dance ability, steps, patterns, sequences are comiing together very fast. I have the physical control to do them.  What I was doing wrong was trying 'think' about what was doing in relationship to the music. If you think about the muisc while you are dancing you can't do it.

It's the difference between improvised jazz and following sheet music. You can be a good musician/dancer have all the techique and physical control to play the instrument/your body but if you don't completely change your approach to what you are doing you won't be able to do it.

It ballroom you have to follow the sheet music, with absolute precision, or write out your own stuff and follow it. The rest of the dance community is trying to play along with the music the way a Jazz duet might jam together.

Are you gettiing this?

I'm not saying Bach is better than Dave Brubeck, I'm saying that to fully appreciate them you have to understand what they are trying to achieve and how they operate.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 06:26:06 PM »

Just because she did ballet does not make her a skilled dancer in other styles of dance.  If she did ballet what's with the sway back?  A huge nono in ballet is it not?  She does not look good to me but that does not mean she isn't a good dancer.  To some people putting rings around their neck to make it look long or plates in their bottom lip just sends the boys wild in some parts of the world but here it looks insane.  At a previous job I had two very hefty ladies work for me and every time a couple of our single Italian men came in they would try and pick them up.  I also had a girl that was a model working for me as well and they would look past her and I saying we were way too skinny.  Who is right and who is wrong, nobody, it's in the eye of the beholder.  Brian appeals to some and not to others but if they (myself included) have gotten something out of his instruction than power to him and them.  Job done.

When it comes to music you can't put everyone in the same box.  When I see WC and Country dancers here (and the one couple are World Champions) they dance every WC the same, evey Two Step and so forth the same even though each WC (or Two  Step etc.) song is very different.  I may as well just yell out WC and count the beat, it's all the same.  I'm a ballroom dancer but I dance mainly to not strict tempo music in both standard and latin.  I have waltzed to country, rap, opera, rock, you name it and each time my waltz represents the song and the singer, not just the beat.  Actually it's a pet peeve of mine as well when I see people dance every waltz or cha cha or what have you the same, regardless of the music.  What the heck are they feeling?  I like to play with the timing according to how the song and the emotion of it makes me feel.  Same with the other dances.  Give me "Tea for Two" and it's tough to put anything into it.  Give me something like "In These Shoes" or "Going To Shenzhen" and I am a wild girl.  And a heavy African beat samba brings out my inner animal.  They effect different chakkra points if you will.  My DP rolls his eyes when I say this.

I do understand and agree with your points about some dancers, but it's them all, not just ballroom.  I think competitors may be effected more of having less musicality because it is like compulsary figures in skating that we all get so worried about getting them correct and better than the other person that the music suffers for it.  My World Champion friends, same has happened to them.  It does not matter what you dance, it's just the nature of the beast and the human condition.   

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 06:33:03 PM »

There are plenty of biographies of Melissa Rutz on the internet - clearly she has spent all her life, from being a child, as dancer.

You can only Waltz to 3/4 time music, which is quite unusual. If you do the Waltz to anything else, you will be off rhythm.

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 06:52:26 PM »

There are plenty of biographies of Melissa Rutz on the internet - clearly she has spent all her life, from being a child, as dancer.

You can only Waltz to 3/4 time music, which is quite unusual. If you do the Waltz to anything else, you will be off rhythm.

Some people can dance all their life and be pathetic....like you!
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 07:25:29 PM »

"If you think about the music while you're dancing you can't do it" - albanaich

I need to add this to my collection of dance gems.  Keep 'em coming, I'll make a killing compiling these one day as nobody has as yet published a book of hilarious quotes from the mouths of ballroom dancers.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 07:31:59 PM »

"If you think about the music while you're dancing you can't do it" - albanaich

I need to add this to my collection of dance gems.  Keep 'em coming, I'll make a killing compiling these one day as nobody has as yet published a book of hilarious quotes from the mouths of ballroom dancers.
well its not going to happen soon - I would think that the last thing alba would describe himself is as a ballroom dancer

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »

Why do ballroom dances need strict tempo music?

No serious music is 'strict tempo'

In ballroom dance it is absolutely vital that you ignore the music, you can't possibly do it if you are liistening to the music.

albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 07:39:42 PM »

Given I'm am a  lead figure in running a Ballroom dance club and am doing ballroom classes twice a week, I'm quite happy describing myself as a ballroom dancer. It's most definitely not my natural inclination in dance, but I'm heavily involved in it.

Your problen (and that goes for all the ballroom dancers who don't do improvisational dance) is that you have no desire or interest in understanding why the rest of the dance community see ballroom dance as pretty bizarre.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »

" No serious music is 'strict tempo' " - albanaich

" In ballroom dance it is absolutely vital that you ignore the music, you can't possibly do it if you are liistening to the music. " - albanaich

" Your problen (and that goes for all the ballroom dancers who don't do improvisational dance) is that you have no desire or interest in understanding why the rest of the dance community see ballroom dance as pretty bizarre. " - albanaich

Ooh! Keep 'em coming!

Also, would you be able to get the rest of the dance community that described ballroom dance as "bizarre" to sign up on PDO?  It will be a blast.   Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2010, 08:18:57 PM »

Alba: clarify something for me?  I assume you hang out with an AT (or other) crowd and you have said you live in a non-ballroom city.  Is dumping on ballroom dancing one of the occupations your dance community partakes in - sort of a bonding thing? 

Also, since you are such a great dancer, teacher and ballroom officionado could you please upload a video of you doing ballroom on Utupbe?  Perhaps we could all learn something.  Oh, and before you ask I have posted three of me, warts and all...

albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2010, 08:35:06 PM »

I am not even an average dancer. . . . . get this, and I have repeated it many times.

I do a huge range of dancing. I do 10 dances - and that does not include the 10 in the ballroom repotiore.

This is not a competition about how good anyone is, its about what we understand dance to be.

I know, because I do it, and you know, that ballroom dance is about getting a good sequence of patterns together,  executing them perfectly then finding a piece of rigid, strict tempo music to find the steps.

I know that, you know that - please accept and admit that.

The rest of the dance world is about finding the most complex piece of music you can  then showing of how you can interpret that piece of music through movement

There's nothing 'offensive' in this. It is how it is.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »

I am not even an average dancer. . . . . get this, and I have repeated it many times.
Then you sound more and more like person that 'I don't know much about art but I know what I like and Picasso is awful.'  What would you say, for example, if I pronouced that Ediinburgh was created as an elitist, obnoxious, self-engrossed city that on the precept that there are real people (aristocrats) and serfs (or servants) and the latter should not be seen or heard by the former?  And further, that that is still how it is.

[disclaimer: I don't believe the above but one can make a darn good argument up to the last sentence.]

For the 20 billionth time you are entitled to your opinions - we like diversity and find difference stimulating - but you are not entitled to ram them down every one else's throats.  Obviously every one here has heard them and while there are elements of your argument that are interesting, even appealing, it seems that no one has bought in nor is interested in hearing any more.

So give it a rest or find another place to ply your pen....

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »

To borrow from a TV show I was recently watching: "If everybody has a problem with you, maybe the problem's [expletive] you!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: