partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 09:31:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Photography-Video (Moderators: Rugby, Lioness)
| | | |-+  Taking photos at comps
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Taking photos at comps  (Read 1982 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« on: January 25, 2010, 10:42:06 AM »

I'm getting more and more into photography and dancesport photography is something I would like to try next. I did one photo shooting at the nationals last december, but I was mainly taking photos of friends, and from a distance that no one noticed (the venue was huge). Now I'd like to pay attention to anyone on the dance floor that is pleasant to look at and take photos of everyone. And some of the smaller comps, I'd be sitting literally next to them when I take photos. I wonder how people might react seeing someone completely random taking photo of them dancing at competition. There's always a professional photographer at competitions, he wears special clothes so people know he's the professional event photographer. But I'm just a random...

So what's your opinion on someone random taking photos of you and other random dancers at competitions?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »

they are clamping down here - basically the rule is you can't use a 'professional' camear (read reflex) to ensure that the pros get the best pics.

I think most people are OK with photos - the problem is what are you going to do with them?  If you want to upload them anywhere you have to get their permission or run the danger of being sued for violation of privacy etc...

So if you think you have a great shot approach the person after and get them to sign a disclaimer... You can still publish the picture (at least in our laws) if the person is not recognizable - its not enough to know that its them, the laws are that an impartial person would have to be able to recognize them.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:54:38 PM »

If you have paid for your license the only thing you are not allowed to photograph are the professional and the floor show. everyone that comes into the comp by default of paying the entry it states that you have agreed to be photographed or seen on television.

As long as you have checked out the rules and paid the license you don't have a problem

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 07:53:25 PM »

You can do that?  Here photography is contracted out to one company and they are the only (paid) photographers allowed.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »

You can do that?  Here photography is contracted out to one company and they are the only (paid) photographers allowed.

yes as long as you pay the license fee, you can take photos, they just assume the people that come dont have as fancy camera as the professional

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:15:09 PM »

yes as long as you pay the license fee, you can take photos, they just assume the people that come dont have as fancy camera as the professional

I think my camera might be fancier than the one the professional uses.  Shocked
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 11:18:40 PM »

they are clamping down here - basically the rule is you can't use a 'professional' camear (read reflex) to ensure that the pros get the best pics.

I think most people are OK with photos - the problem is what are you going to do with them?  If you want to upload them anywhere you have to get their permission or run the danger of being sued for violation of privacy etc...

I have a dSLR with a telephoto lens.  Shocked

What do I do with the photos? I enjoy the process of taking photos more than what I do with the photos. Most of my photos get processed, cropped and stored in my computer. Sometimes I print off a few just cause I have monthly free printing from a camera shop.  Roll Eyes
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:04:22 AM »

well what is it that you want to do with the photos you take at a comp?

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:11:07 AM »

well what is it that you want to do with the photos you take at a comp?

Not much really, if people ask, I can send them copies.
But this is probably going to be a problem with the professional photographer as he's trying to make a living selling his photos and I just give my away for free.
Not that I'll be advertising my photos. I'll only give photos to friends.

As with all my other photos, I just keep them for self enjoyment. They look good, simple as that.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:16:25 AM by SwingWaltz » Logged
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:21:45 AM »

you dont take as many as he does and will still focus more on people you know or admire, he has to take them of everyone

Dance Forum
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 06:03:13 PM »

I have recently started taking pics at comps as a way of improving my photography skills. I have no problem handing out my pics for free. If the professional can't take better pics than I can, either i should turn pro or he/she should revert to amateur.
i personally believe that anyone should be allowed to take pics. Quick google found this link. http://ambientlight.ca/laws.php#You_are_guaranteed_the_right_to_take_photographs

According to this site, Candian Charter of Rights and Freedoms says I have the right to personal expression through photography.

Recent comp I took around 1300 pictures (including 62 I kept of Elise and partner, why not ask her to post one). I have so far filtered then down to around 400. I intend to choose a selection of my favourites and post on Flickr. I would then post the link here. Should anyone not want their picture posted, then I would (as I am a nice person) remove it on request. A good picture would show the spirit of dance, it just so happens to be of a couple (or individual, or part of same).
If people are out performing and presenting their skills in public, then publishing pictures on the web should not be of any issue - as far as I understand the law (not a lawyer, that's how I read it). I'm pretty sure a lawyer could argue it one way, and another could argue it differently. That's how they make their money after all.

Should the competition organisers restrict photography at their event, I wouldn't go in any case. As events are held on private property, the NO PHOTOGRAPHY requirement would have the be indicated prior to entry. If I was informed after entry, I would request reimbursement and leave (and make a big fuss and make as much negative publicity as possible). Photography is a big part of what I would attend for, and also to support the dance world as a second reason.
Graham
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 07:18:34 PM »

[I'm going to post at least one GH, - I just haven't had a chance yet ]

Have you come across the new approach which is 'no professional equipment' - which is a euphamism for an SLR?  Obviously, the idea is to make the pro's pictures alwayw better...

Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 10:41:43 PM »

I turned up at the Blue Silver comp with a DSLR (Sony A350), an 18-250mm lens (great to follow you around the floor no matter WHERE you were (and get close to full frame shots at the far end), top of the range flash (GN 58, enough to light you at the far end easily), a 60mm F2 lens (great for ambient light (and even then I was at my limit, say around ISO 800, f2, 1/160) - and that was with the 16 large spots being used for better light). Plus a monopod. I think I was at well equipped compared to the pro's.
 I know some of the more recent cameras (Canon/Nikon) have better noise control at higher ISO's (not the Sony, but it's pretty decent at ISO 800, not so good at ISO 1600, which I would have preferred), and you can get mid-range zooms at f2.8 (if money isn't an issue).

So far no issues with regular equipment mistaken for pro gear.

Reminds me of my wedding a couple of years ago. The pro who turned up got immediate camera envy. Several of the guests turned with TWO cameras around their necks, both of which were far better than his own single camera. Most of the wedding pics we used for dissemination were not his (only the obligatory group was kept). We ended up with 1400 pics from all the guests. Some great ones amongst them.
Perhaps HE should have banned 'professional' equipment.

BTW, what a picture opportunity the wedding was. Ballroom themed. Wedding dress converted into a ballgown, I wore full-on Fred Astaire attire (top hat, tails and cane).

graham
Graham
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 10:46:03 PM »

Oh yeah. Also the modern DSLR's with HD capacity (esp 1080 - from Canon) are going to provide some great pics. Around 2mb per frame, 30fps. Admittedly the compression they use is pretty high, so a lot of details is lost, but for the general user (5x7 prints, perhaps 8x10 with some quality loss), it's gonna cut into the pro's pockets.

One of my favourite of you is no. 46. Great bokeh. Patrick is out of focus (looking better  Grin) and you're just in focus 9could do with some sharpening. Just love the background.

Graham
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 10:41:35 PM »

I think the rules may vary from comp to comp.  If you're not an approved vendor, the rules can be pretty strict, at least at comps in the US.  Not sure about Australia.

But it seems that SW has figured it out.  Wink Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: