partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:01:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116436 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Guy Problem
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Guy Problem  (Read 2909 times)
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« on: January 21, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »

Ok, so we had our first College Ballroom  class on Wednesday - it was a modest success in that we turned up 2 competion dancers who had stopped dancing (that's 4 in total that have been brought back into the fold) and 2 more who were on the point of abadoning dancing for lack of a partner.

On top of that with had another 8 of varying ability - no complete novices.

But. . . . . . . these were all girls. There was one guy, I thought I was going to 'cut and run' but as ever I ended (with the male German student) up being 'dance dummy' for these 12 girls.

The question is, anyone have any novel ideas for getting guiys involved. I know they are out there, I've had emails and met the odd one dancing AT and Swing but finding them and getting them to come along seems a big issue.

samina
Silver

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »

have the girls invite the men they know? have the girls give the men they know and love "ultimatums" requiring their participation? Wink
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:25:07 PM »

Advertise letting the men know that men are needed and it is the perfect way to meet women.  I always mention to men that where are they going to get into an activity where they will have at least 2 to 4 women hanging off their arms and up close and personal.  Shocked

I did tell a couple of hockey players that they can hang out with their sweaty friends or hang out with a bunch of good looking women in high heels and sexy clothing.  They asked where they could take lessons.  Did the same thing a few years later with some weight lifter guys.  They too became very interested. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »

Seems to be a lot of resistance to learning dancing from most of the guys I know . Certainly the hockey and ball groups would not be overly receptive. Developing dancing from a young age and building a macho stigma around it would really help.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:28:58 AM »

gosh...this problem is universal anyone who has the answer will make some money, it is a bit like bottling peer pressure that would be on the shelves in no time Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 02:09:30 AM »

I've found the guys are more attracted by the prospect of beating other guys than dancing with beautiful women.  Weird I know (least to me Wink ), but give guys a chance to win a medal and they will do almost anything.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 05:40:11 AM »

It's a problem unique to Ballroom locally. Last night I was doing WCS and we had 4 too many guys, I've done AT ckasses with same problem. A couple of years ago I was in a WCS class where (gasp) we ended up with guys dancing with guys (the shortage of girls problem continued for about a year).

This is one of the reasons I feel so strongly about dance not being confined to one form. It's silly for a girl balllroom dancer to be sitting home pinning for a partner when just down the street there's a young guy doing Argentine Tango who looking for a girl. If either of them changed their focus the problem would be solved

I've emailed some guys and they've promised to turn up next week. I do hope things improve. The next problem of course is going to be absolute novice guys and very experienced girls. Some advice on that one would be welcome too.

It's looking good otherwise, we had a young woman (not a student) turn up who had been in college team for 4 years and she's keen to organise the team and get things going. It's made a big difference to the competition dancers to know that they are not alone, there was a lovely buzz and excitement about the whole thing.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 06:29:59 AM »

It is the image of ballroom dancing, do men think they must be on the feminine side?Huh if they do what a shame they miss out on a myriad of girls. Seem they like to impress their mates more than the opposite sex. Roll Eyes

I am trying to get more men/boys into dancing  Tongue

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 08:18:10 AM »

It's a problem unique to Ballroom locally. Last night I was doing WCS and we had 4 too many guys, I've done AT ckasses with same problem. A couple of years ago I was in a WCS class where (gasp) we ended up with guys dancing with guys (the shortage of girls problem continued for about a year).

This is one of the reasons I feel so strongly about dance not being confined to one form. It's silly for a girl balllroom dancer to be sitting home pinning for a partner when just down the street there's a young guy doing Argentine Tango who looking for a girl. If either of them changed their focus the problem would be solved

I've emailed some guys and they've promised to turn up next week. I do hope things improve. The next problem of course is going to be absolute novice guys and very experienced girls. Some advice on that one would be welcome too.

It's looking good otherwise, we had a young woman (not a student) turn up who had been in college team for 4 years and she's keen to organise the team and get things going. It's made a big difference to the competition dancers to know that they are not alone, there was a lovely buzz and excitement about the whole thing.

[this is a great theme alba ... Wink ]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »

Ok, I'm going to put my head on the chopping block here again.

IMHO there's a few of reasons young guys don't get into ballroom.

I think firstly the image of the Tux, sequined dresses and girls with lots of slap is not cool. If guys are going on looking for a social dance (and a hot chick) - forget the Tux. Here's my local lLindy crowd dancing. See any sign of a Tux?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7sAWYxYTjc

The Counting House dance club featured in the film does Lindy and Argentine Tango on alternate nights. The kids doing Lindy are doing Argentine Tango as well. so its nothing about technique or style of the dance - its the completely informal atmosphere.

Secondly, the way Swing and AT are taught make it much more attractive.

In both cases the emphasis is on lead and follow with the aim of getting folks on the floor dancing, however badly, as quickly as possible. In both AT and Swing they don't encourage fixed partnerships with beginners. The only way to learn about lead and follow as a beginner is to practice with lots of different people. If you are young and looking for that hunk or hot chick, at some point in the rotational class you'll get and opportunity to dance and make a play for him or her.

Another feature of teaching the body lead method (as used in AT) is that it gives the guy feedback and confidence. When the guy realises that if he moves a certain way the girl has to go with him. it like winning the lottery. It's rush to get that kind of control - and they want more of it:-)

And finally, a lot of the dynamic dance scene in Edinburgh is because the people teaching Salsa, AT and Swing have been very much influenced by the Modern JIve 'holoistic' approach to dancing, that is keep the lessons and the tuition to a miinum and to concentrate on keeping the floor full, never mind if people are doing AT, WCS, Jive and LIndy all the same floor - they are dancing.

At my WCS class last night we had discussion. And very illuminating it was to. We have a chap doing the class who wants to know everything in detail, what foot he should be moving, where is wieght should be, what is the correct technique, every minute detail.

The instructor was trying to explain that while that's fine, on social dance floor you can't carry an instruction book round with you, and that even if you did its quite likely your partner has a different instructiion book. You won't know until you are on the floor dancing wheither you partner can do MJ, ECS, WCS or Lindy. The lead has to lead, and if you want the ladies to be looking for you as a partberthat means making it up, improvising on the floor, and no rule book can teach you that. (the instructor who I know quite well was forceful about it)

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 11:10:09 AM »

I think firstly the image of the Tux, sequined dresses and girls with lots of slap is not cool. If guys are going on looking for a social dance (and a hot chick) - forget the Tux. Here's my local lLindy crowd dancing. See any sign of a Tux?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7sAWYxYTjc

I actually don't disagree with this piece.  There was an article that appeared on Yahoo yesterday about what men really find romantic (http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/singles/datingtips/88880/dating-101-what-do-men-find-romantic)--an excerpt for those of you that don't want to read the whole thing:

Overrated: Ballroom-dancing lessons
Underrated: Surfing lessons
Most any guy would love being active and learning new things with you. But if he has to worry about his footwork and balance, he'd rather not have to be wearing shimmery shirts while doing it.

When I read that, I literally wanted to bash my head against the table.  The only place I've ever seen men wear shimmery shirts is at competitions, and even then, 90% of them aren't.  At my studio's Saturday night socials, the guys are usually wearing dress slacks and some kind of t-shirt, polo, or informal button-down.  Some wear jeans.  It's about as far from "shimmery shirts" as you can get.

This kind of thing showing up in print certainly doesn't help the image of dancing as a "girly" activity.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 11:23:14 AM »

Well what can I say, those guys who don't dance have no idea what they're missing out on!  Wink
samina
Silver

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »

Well what can I say, those guys who don't dance have no idea what they're missing out on!  Wink
so true.

truly, if more women expected men to include dance as part of courtship, romance, and fun, more men would step up to the plate. this was suggested by a gentleman on another forum, and i heartily agree.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 12:52:19 PM »

That's the story behind Argentine Tango.

Women were in such short supply they could demand that a man be a good lead. If he could not lead they just dropped him on the dance floor, so the men learned to dance with each other. Being picked to dance by a woman was the highest honour.

And locally its not a case of 'young guys not dancing'. They are dancing - MJ, Swing, Argentine Tango, they are just not doing ballroom.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 12:56:14 PM by albanaich » Logged
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 07:36:37 PM »

well that is not the case here.. I think the style they are doing is Salsa.....definitely not AT, that is still the home for the oldies.

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: