partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 01:20:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Making a competition dress
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Making a competition dress  (Read 2573 times)
pinkstuff
Bronze

« on: January 20, 2010, 05:51:34 AM »

I have had an idea (and I admit it may not be the easiest or best idea...) but I was thinking of making myself a latin competition dress as I don't dance at a particularly high standard and so am not ready for a proper costume, plus don't have the money to spend at the moment.  (plus should keep me out of trouble for a while  Roll Eyes)  I have found a cheap jersey "skater" style black dress with 3/4 length sleeves which I thought would be suitable as has movement in the skirt and if it all goes horribly wrong, am not going to cry about it.  My idea was to decorate the dress for exxapmle:
1) use large flat sequins (also black) around hem/neck line & then add a belt to the waist
or
2) Cut the hem vertically  to add more movement & sequin the edges in a different colour eg silver and add a silver belt
or
3) add some stones...

Has anyone ever tried to do this/or done this and any have any suggestions...

(seems the dress code rules are made to be broken from recent experience  Grin)

Dance like you're going to fall over
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 06:03:52 AM »

Good luck!  My first latin dress was a store-bought one that I had a friend stick sequins on. 
Does it work?  Didn't for me but I am not gifted either in design or in body shape!!  If you have a great latin body you can wrap yourself in toilet paper and people will love it.....

Er, better use lots of sticky tape come to think of it...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:20:31 AM »

If you have a great latin body you can wrap yourself in toilet paper and people will love it.....

True. If you have a body, people will love to see more skins than cover the body.  Grin
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 01:57:09 PM »

I used to make my own dress the first three years I lived in England. 

I would suggest that you stitch in hand with rough stitching what you would like to do together before putting a sewing machine to it. This way it is easy to change things that don’t work. Even dancing a little in the dress to see how it works before sewing it together for serious would help you in the long run.

All the best!

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:43:43 AM »

how has it gone? did anyone have success with making their own

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:11:24 AM »

Have found a professional seamstress to help with the first one & am then hoping to make some practice wear and progress from there....(could be extremely wishful thinking!).  Looking at patterns on eg Burda etc there seem to be some dresses that look like they could be adapted as I look better with something more covered for latin anyway.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »

There was a new company showing their wares at the Classique this weekend that I really liked.  The dresses were not just excercises in excess but were artistic - one had fantastic modern art patterns in the material.  I also liked the designer a lot and his prices are quite reasonable. 

I've decided to get a new dress once we move up to championship....

pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 10:42:46 AM »

Which company was that?  Have had a look on the internet a lot to see what is around other than DSI/Chrisanne/Vesa as my dancing doens't warrant that standard of dress.  There seems to be a huge variation in quality/designs & I haven't really seen much that I like for latin.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 04:16:54 PM »

Its called marc pellerin design - but I can not find a website Undecided

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 07:32:05 AM »

well as much as I love to sew I just dont have time to do it and I want it to look stunning and I would always be unhappy with what I made.

Dance Forum
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 01:59:20 AM »

I have been making ball gowns and latin dresses for years.  Have made a few latin dresses.  Normally I start with a normal dress pattern that you know will fit.  Sew it up in some cheap material if you are not sure.  Then lay the pattern out and add what you need - extra in the skirt or less in the top.  In the past for latin dresses I have made them around a skirt and a good fitting bra.  Drape the material and see how it falls.  Pin it, try it on fiddle with it until it feels right.  I never usually make pants for latin costums only ballroom ones.  I have found it best to get a pair of sports underwear as they are normally well built and not too brief and sew them in. good luck. mm
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 02:09:31 AM »

would you recommend a good dressmakers doll?

Dance Forum
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 07:51:20 AM »

I have been making ball gowns and latin dresses for years.  Have made a few latin dresses.  Normally I start with a normal dress pattern that you know will fit.  Sew it up in some cheap material if you are not sure.  Then lay the pattern out and add what you need - extra in the skirt or less in the top.  In the past for latin dresses I have made them around a skirt and a good fitting bra.  Drape the material and see how it falls.  Pin it, try it on fiddle with it until it feels right.  I never usually make pants for latin costums only ballroom ones.  I have found it best to get a pair of sports underwear as they are normally well built and not too brief and sew them in. good luck. mm

Have now spent sometime chatting with a friend who is a seamstress about this and we are going to start the 'experiment' shortly Smiley  Have also decided to go with the sports underwear option also as trying to find a bodysuit that worked is difficult & I don't have a machine that is suitable for making underwear.  Even if it doesn't work out, it will be an education!

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 08:48:12 AM »

I have just spent the evening stoning a dress. it had some but I got a gross and fixed up the missing ones and added more, it now has more depth

Dance Forum
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »

I used to make my own dress the first three years I lived in England. 

I would suggest that you stitch in hand with rough stitching what you would like to do together before putting a sewing machine to it. This way it is easy to change things that don’t work. Even dancing a little in the dress to see how it works before sewing it together for serious would help you in the long run.

All the best!

Good advice DSV! Just watched a documentary about Channel haute couture house, and they do exactly the same. They used white fabric to do the first draft and later used the fabric.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: