partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 09:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Judging (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Medalist Levels - Judging at competitions
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Medalist Levels - Judging at competitions  (Read 4957 times)
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 09:25:50 AM »

Who decides which partner a medalist gets to dance with?  Is it your instructor or is the pro assigned at the event?

It depends. If a medallist has a regular partner (like me!) then they'll dance with them. If not, they'll get a willing person from the same studio (usually) to partner them.

Usual teacher (unless contra-indication eg they are judging...) or one of the others from same studio, or higher level medallist dancer.  I find dancing with some-one i have never danced with before difficult, esp at a competition.

Dance like you're going to fall over
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 05:28:18 PM »

I thought teachers weren't allowed to partner medallists. They aren't over here.

And yeah, if you were going to dance with a higher level competitor or someone who isn't a steady partner, you would probably train with them a bit first, just to get used to everything.
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 05:45:35 PM »

correct Lioness.  They usually tell you that if you have your Level 0 you are not allowed to dance with your pupils.  Cheesy mummsie
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2010, 03:23:55 AM »

I thought teachers weren't allowed to partner medallists. They aren't over here.

And yeah, if you were going to dance with a higher level competitor or someone who isn't a steady partner, you would probably train with them a bit first, just to get used to everything.

I think teachers are allowed to dance with their pupils as long as they are not examiners/judges.  The last one I was at, some people were dancing with other dancers from the studio but there were also people dancing with teachers.

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2010, 03:43:47 AM »

I think there are sometimes special teacher/student events, but they were a special case.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2010, 03:52:14 AM »

I think teachers are allowed to dance with their pupils as long as they are not examiners/judges.  The last one I was at, some people were dancing with other dancers from the studio but there were also people dancing with teachers.

Are you in Australia?
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 05:34:57 AM »

correct Lioness.  They usually tell you that if you have your Level 0 you are not allowed to dance with your pupils.  Cheesy mummsie

But if they are not your pupil then you are allowed to dance with them?

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 05:40:57 AM »

correct Lioness.  They usually tell you that if you have your Level 0 you are not allowed to dance with your pupils.  Cheesy mummsie

Zac

Level 0 coach with students have their own events.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2010, 05:43:21 AM »

I find this all very confusing - the coaches and the students have levels and there are rules as to who can dance with whom?  And everybody's levels require a medal - which means fees for every step in the dance.

How much does it cost to do a medal exam?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 07:30:46 AM »

Zac

I think no-one who has been registered or who has obtained a teaching qualification is allowed to.

Elise: You don't have to actually do a medal exam; in most competitions you can dance above your level (which, if you've never done an exam, is 'social')
However, after you've been competing in a division for 1 year, you must move up, regardless or whether you are ready or of whether you do your exams.
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 12:14:16 PM »

Am not in Australia, sadly!!   Cry  Over here you can dance with a teacher as long as they are not qualified to examine/judge (and even then I think there are exceptions...), or so I was told. May be the teachers didn't have any qualifications.  I will double check at my next lesson what the rules are.

I didn't know there were levels for teachers as well.

ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 05:58:49 PM »

I think no-one who has been registered or who has obtained a teaching qualification is allowed to.

It depends on the competition. Registered dances are allowed to couple medallist dances and i think this generally goes for most competitions in Victoria. I thought i read on the Ballarat competition that teachers are able to couple medallist students but are not able to have been their coach, or something to that nature...

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »

I find this all very confusing - the coaches and the students have levels and there are rules as to who can dance with whom?  And everybody's levels require a medal - which means fees for every step in the dance.

How much does it cost to do a medal exam?

Medal exams themselves cost approx. $30 to complete, though as L stated above it is not necessary to do these qualifications. What makes it worse is that the rules seem to change depending on the organizing committee that runs the competition...

Zac
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:13:10 PM by ZPomeroy » Logged

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »

because they operate on so many different rules it makes it confusing, but I don't think it will ever be universal

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 07:39:54 PM »

because they operate on so many different rules it makes it confusing, but I don't think it will ever be universal

thats probably a good thing - because once it was universal it would suddenly become compulsory... Undecided

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: