partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 03:58:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Judging (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Technique, Energy, Expression or Artistry - which do judges favor?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Technique, Energy, Expression or Artistry - which do judges favor?  (Read 3450 times)
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 10:13:01 AM »

E! I don't think I missed your point. Also, I have never said technique is not an important factor in a judge's placement list. However, the question is not asking just about technical point. The question is what judges favor overall at a competition, correct? So from what my reading from DF, here is the percentage from the post. This came from one of judges, so it can be different from one judge to the others. I also was very surprised when I read the post.

1. Body language or visual use of body: 55%
2. Personal Interpretation: 38%
3. Technique: 7%

Well, there is 5% missing, but I am not sure if the person who wrote made a mistake or not.

Of course, you are correct about what you mentioned. Without a good technique, someone might not be able to do 1 and 2.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:38:25 PM by dlgodud » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »

'Hung by my own petard'!
You're right, I sorta made nonsense of this topic... needs some more thought.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »

Each judge is different.  I know some judges who are mainly technique saying that presentation is like the pictures and wallpaper whereas technique is the foundation of the house.  Without a strong foundation the pictures and wallpaper will not hold.  Other judges like a mix of both.  At a competition I look at the judging panel and can get an idea of what we have to show more of. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 06:21:40 AM »

well from what I am told here in Australia especially with New Vogue they look at shaping. In the early rounds they look at the shaping and top line to weed out the good ones from the bad ones, then as the rounds thin out they also look at technique. As someone has mentioned if you dont have good technique it is like a house of cards and it will collapse. Judges only have such a small amount of time to view you so sell sell sell

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 12:05:53 PM »

Each judge is different.  I know some judges who are mainly technique saying that presentation is like the pictures and wallpaper whereas technique is the foundation of the house.  Without a strong foundation the pictures and wallpaper will not hold.  Other judges like a mix of both.  At a competition I look at the judging panel and can get an idea of what we have to show more of. 

This is intriguing.  SO you get to know what each judge favors?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 06:40:11 AM »

Round here we get almost the same judges at every comp.. and then you take lessons from them.  Pretty soon dancing is totally proscribed - not an iota of creativity left in the comp soup Tongue

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 10:40:24 AM »

Is that why you travel to go to comps out of state or out of the country?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »

Is that why you travel to go to comps out of state or out of the country?
out of province Wink .
Yup.  to get a fresh perspective - and when you get to Montreal - its just the same judges again Tongue
well, to be accurate, there are new ones too.  You have to go to Eurpoe to really change the judging scene

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 06:39:50 PM »

Sorry about the province thing.  I got you mixed up with Q for a minute.

I wonder what the judging scene is like in the US.  It seems that many of the comps here have different judging panels, but I suppose that,if you compete a lot, the faces get familiar pretty quickly.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 11:46:04 PM »

Sorry about the province thing.  I got you mixed up with Q for a minute.

hehe - globally you could not be much further wrong Cheesy

I wonder what the judging scene is like in the US.  It seems that many of the comps here have different judging panels, but I suppose that,if you compete a lot, the faces get familiar pretty quickly.
Yes, there are local differences but then there are also judges that get invited a lot - I guess there are sects of sorts too

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: