partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:07:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Judging (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Medalist Levels - Judging at competitions
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Medalist Levels - Judging at competitions  (Read 4617 times)
pinkstuff
Bronze

« on: January 18, 2010, 05:29:57 AM »

I was observing at a competition this weekend & haven't previously attended medallist level competitions.  I'm interested to know what people are judged on as watching through the levels there seemed to be a huge variation in technique between couples at the same level, (and lower level couples appeared to be much better than those at higher levels), and some-times these people got into the finals over dancers with better technique but may be less flashy styling.  Also dancers at lower levels weren't penalized for wearing full dance-dress with stones etc etc  From my understanding judges need to notice you & then you get judged on performance, technique, style/appearance..  Am just curious as this was my first time attending a medallist comp Smiley  Thanks

[just flipped your title round to make it clearer - you can change it yourself if you like ee]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:05:08 AM by elisedance » Logged

Dance like you're going to fall over
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:40:46 AM »

From what i've seen and heard it is a very hard business being a Judge, I mean imagine of you were a judge and the amount of time you spend on your feet in one day, and moving from section to section ect. it would be hard work! With this in mind i think Judges sometimes have a preconceived idea as to who should be in the finals and the placings before the event even starts - i know this shouldn't happen, but the fact of the matter is it does. It's almost like waiting in line for your turn. This can unfortunately happen in any level (well this is my experience anyway). Another factor could be the amount of competitors in the earlier rounds. Sometimes there are just so many competitors on the floor, and with the short amount of time judges have to actually pick the recalls, what can occur is that judges end up just writing down the first numbers they see - this can happen especially towards the end of the music and with an empty scorecard. My coaches have told me that judges look for 3 main things:

1. Entertainment - if judges are entertained by your dancing you are much more likely to be recalled/ receive placing, i have often heard from judges that they do not want to be taught while there judging, but rather to enjoy themselves
2. Technique - this is pretty self explanatory
3. Movement - movement shows something to judges, i'm not quite sure what exactly, but i believe it shows good technique and also brings an entertaining aspect to the dancing. It is likely to catch the judges eye, and after all isn't that what you want?

Also dancers at lower levels weren't penalized for wearing full dance-dress with stones etc etc 

Where abouts are you from? rules on dress code are generally specific to countries, but can also be specific to competitions as well, for most competitions held in Victoria stones are allowed for medallist competitions i believe.

These are just my experiences and thoughts Wink

Zac
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:43:50 AM by ZPomeroy » Logged

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:54:10 AM »

My understanding that timing it the 1st prerequisite for judging. Then you would start on the other things  that you mentioned. I am sure there must be some concession about the entertainment for medalists it is about the technique with footwork as well.

Here in Adelaide I know that you are not allowed to wear anything with sparkly things...if you are a contender for a placing you will be warned. But with all judges they only have 1.40 to judge  up to 12 couples in standard and sometimes 20 for New Vogue. that does not give them very long to make there decision.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 06:57:19 AM »

Ah yes, but that really goes without saying, timing that is

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »

........i think Judges sometimes have a preconceived idea as to who should be in the finals and the placings before the event even starts - i know this shouldn't happen, but the fact of the matter is it does. It's almost like waiting in line for your turn.

Very true - and why I like to travel to distant competitions to get a real evaluation of our dancing.  Incidentally, we almost invariably do a lot better but maybe thats also because we try harder or our expectations are lower.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 11:34:13 AM »

The 'competition dress' wearers were also doing social & pre-bronze which I was told wasn't allowed but I guess the rules aren't enforced that much.

Out of curiosity - is New Vogue the same as sequence?

Dance like you're going to fall over
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 03:39:50 PM »

The 'competition dress' wearers were also doing social & pre-bronze which I was told wasn't allowed but I guess the rules aren't enforced that much.

[if you browse through the Australian regional board you will find quite some discussion on this - as I understood it, the answer was yes and it is derived from English (or may be European) sequence dancing.]

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 06:25:27 PM »

It's interesting that the dress code isn't enforced. Here, we are not allowed to wear anything but street wear. We are allowed pretty jewellery and stuff, but no stones or sequins.

And yes, New Vogue is the same as sequence. If you come to Adelaide, pretty much all we dance are sequence dances.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »

And yes, New Vogue is the same as sequence. If you come to Adelaide, pretty much all we dance are sequence dances.
thats interesting - why do you think that is?

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 07:47:26 PM »

thats interesting - why do you think that is?

that is not true, just depends on where you dance and L generally only dances at one place, other providers ofter modern only, but five of the main providers offer mostly new vouge. It is easy to learn and you can get way more people on the dance floor without great difficulty.. It is very under-rated as a style. I would love to take it to the world...Great way to get people social dancing.  Tongue

Dance Forum
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 07:55:31 PM »

Sequence is very big in England, at some of the social dances I attended fully 50% of the dances were sequence.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »

Sequence is very big in England, at some of the social dances I attended fully 50% of the dances were sequence.
thats interesting - I had no idea.  I wonder if they are the same as NV?

mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 10:04:30 PM »

no English Old Time is much different to New Vogue.  Similar numbers of dances but they are completely different in how they are done.  At the end of the New Vogue waltzes we usually do 4 bars of viennesse to finish the sequence - in EOT they do 4 bars of Old Time Waltz which has lots of ballet foot positions and doesn't move much.  I have done a lot of EOT - done all my medals except for the last one - Oscar.  Its a lot of fun to do but very hard.  My favourite EOT dance is called the Gainsborough Glide - done to only a few classical pieces of music. mm
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 10:10:17 PM »

Interesting - I think we did sequence dances in school (in england) but can hardly remember. 
Vieneese waltz is still rarely done in england - its associated with german imperialism somehow, really should look it up....
ee

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 11:19:19 PM »

New Vouge has become broad umbrella for what is a lot of sequence dancing....the NV style uses modern standard ballroom steps, where as the english and old sequences has more of the ballet pointe in there.

There are technically on 15 dances in the NV syllabus but there are thousands of sequence dances that now come under the banner of New Vouge..confusing I know  Tongue

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: