partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 11:49:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116405 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  What's the ideal height difference in standard partnership?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What's the ideal height difference in standard partnership?  (Read 1586 times)
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« on: January 17, 2010, 05:32:04 PM »

I think this might be covered before, just would like to bring up again - I'm doing multiple tryouts now, one of the guys is 191cm, he's big but he moves well, an experienced pro; I'm 170cm, people saying looks good, doesn't look like I"m too short, but I feel at certain steps I'm struggling to follow.

Another one 188cm, feels bit easier, although he is still 3cm taller than my ex-partner who is 185cm, which used to be considered  perfect height match for me by many coaches.

the partner I had in '06 and '07 was 184cm, and very slim, I'm also slim, also looked quite good, many coaches said perfect height match.

The partner I had in 2005 was 178cm, I personally feel a bit short for me, but a lot of people also said we looked good by then, I looked almost same height as him with heels. He had no partner for three years, now he really want to dance and still interested in dancing with me.

I've seen top couples with big height difference worked out really nicely, example, Timothy Houson / Joanne Bolton, Sasha/Natasha karaby, Marat Gimaev / Alina Basiouk. Our teachers said for dancing with a significant taller guy, the connection point has to be higher.  I guess I can be working out with someone who's from 178cm to 191cm, with probably 183 or 184cm works out best; I'm just wondering when there is really very limited choices out there at the moment, should I go with shorter 178cm or bit too tall 188cm, not sure which way is easier to work out:(

Just wondering what is everyone else opinion here.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:36:29 PM by standarddancer » Logged

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 05:48:34 PM »

I don't know about standard that well, but the guy needs to adjust the connection point depending on the lady's height? I would go with a taller guy if I don't feel so awkward at a try-out.
Does it give you some kind of advantage of being a tall couple on the floor?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 06:22:30 PM »

Get your range - and then select NOT by height but by feel and compatibility.  The most important thing is that you have compatible goals and style, not height.  You can adapt. 

though on height, personally I would rather too tall than too short.  though to be honest I have never danced with a man that is too tall Cheesy

Whats that guys name again Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:58:54 PM »

I think this might be covered before, just would like to bring up again - I'm doing multiple tryouts now, one of the guys is 191cm, he's big but he moves well, an experienced pro; I'm 170cm, people saying looks good, doesn't look like I"m too short, but I feel at certain steps I'm struggling to follow.

Another one 188cm, feels bit easier, although he is still 3cm taller than my ex-partner who is 185cm, which used to be considered  perfect height match for me by many coaches.

the partner I had in '06 and '07 was 184cm, and very slim, I'm also slim, also looked quite good, many coaches said perfect height match.

The partner I had in 2005 was 178cm, I personally feel a bit short for me, but a lot of people also said we looked good by then, I looked almost same height as him with heels. He had no partner for three years, now he really want to dance and still interested in dancing with me.

I've seen top couples with big height difference worked out really nicely, example, Timothy Houson / Joanne Bolton, Sasha/Natasha karaby, Marat Gimaev / Alina Basiouk. Our teachers said for dancing with a significant taller guy, the connection point has to be higher.  I guess I can be working out with someone who's from 178cm to 191cm, with probably 183 or 184cm works out best; I'm just wondering when there is really very limited choices out there at the moment, should I go with shorter 178cm or bit too tall 188cm, not sure which way is easier to work out:(

Just wondering what is everyone else opinion here.

I am 171cm (although I have shrunk a bit Tongue) my partner is 6'3 nearly 6'4 or 194cm, and I have no problem with it. I wear a 2" heel now, I used to wear a 2 1/2 but people say that it looks good and we have a presence on the floor.  I just think there will always be an adjustment but in the end you need to dance with someone who you are comfortable with. How tall is Victor Fung? I hear he is looking for a partner   Tongue or has he found one? You can see from my avatar the height difference in the heels.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »

Victor found a partner already. I believe it is Anastasia Muravyeva.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »

Victor found a partner already. I believe it is Anastasia Muravyeva.

Well good for him.. but Drats! Cool

Dance Forum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 09:45:25 PM »

Many partnerships have worked with a big height difference (Peter Eggleton and Brenda Winslade, Michael and Vicky Barr, Glenn Weiss and Maja Serve as said earlier Timothy Houson / Joanne Bolton) and have been very successful. The look is important but the look is more the height difference. It is also important how it feels together. Also make sure you are on the same page with goals and ideas on the dancing.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »

DSV: do you know of any successful partnerships where the woman was taller?

emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 11:00:52 PM »

Also look at Igor and Polina Pilipenchuk. HUGE difference.

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »

thanks for all your feedback, yes the look is important, and so does the same goal for dancing, seems those guys are all very serious and passionate for dancing, just like myself, and coaches had said I looked good from the 178cm guys to the 191cm guy, no one had said anyone looked bad. So I guess I just have to try each of them again just to practice to see which one has best lead and maybe really depends on the feel of the lead too.

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »

Sorry to interrupt, I could only think of one successful couple - Bill & Bobbie Irvine. Bobbie is taller and has longer legs. There must be very different technique working with shorter guys, the connection point should be different dancing with someone almost shorter than you when you are in heels. There are some old videos on youtube of Bill/Bobbie for demonstration, they looked amazingly great with her slightly taller tham him.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:41:44 PM »

I am sure you will find the right one for you.... Smiley

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 06:27:33 AM »

Sorry to interrupt, I could only think of one successful couple - Bill & Bobbie Irvine. Bobbie is taller and has longer legs. There must be very different technique working with shorter guys, the connection point should be different dancing with someone almost shorter than you when you are in heels. There are some old videos on youtube of Bill/Bobbie for demonstration, they looked amazingly great with her slightly taller tham him.

Ah yes - I think I have heard that before and there are two giants of the sport Smiley

[sorry I should not have posted that as a question only to DSV - it was a general one so thanks for the answer.]

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 08:32:39 AM »

We are doing fairly well for the level of competition we are at.

DP is about 6' 3", and I am about 5' 4". We've had to make a few adjustments from the 'proper' standard hold, and we're constantly tweaking it to find something that looks good for both of us. It works though, and I really need to get taller heels...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 08:53:19 AM »

We are doing fairly well for the level of competition we are at.

DP is about 6' 3", and I am about 5' 4". We've had to make a few adjustments from the 'proper' standard hold, and we're constantly tweaking it to find something that looks good for both of us. It works though, and I really need to get taller heels...

Hmmm.  I see there is a market for the 10" heel dance pump.....

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: