partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 04:17:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Isolations
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Isolations  (Read 2933 times)
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 10:10:21 PM »

wow .. highly inflammatory reading rugg... definately no first place finishes for you from the teacjer / judge community
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 10:11:51 PM »

Rule of Turn?
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 10:12:26 PM »

It's taken me a while to 'crack' them, but the trick turned out to practise them while driving.

Me too!  When I have a long drive I do them too but for excercise value.  Butt and ab isolations can really draw the eye of the guy in the car next door at stop signs so better to do them on the move.  Glad you brought it up as the do while driving is an excellent idea.

Yeah I know catsmeow but it's a bad road that dancing around here is going down and obvioulsy for some of the judges they think so too.  Perhaps in the long run it will run it's course and things will turn around again.  I am sure for instructors there is a lot of pressure to please the students since pickings are getting slim for them.  More and more instructors being imported in and less students around to take the lessons.  What better way to make your students think they are great dancers than to teach them advanced moves and sweep the work of learning proper technique under the rug.   
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:19:45 PM by Rugby » Logged

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »

Hey, isolations really draw the eye of the girl when you dance them :-) In fact its an absolute jaw dropper, especially when you are 50 +  

I learned how to do them from my flatmate's girlfriend. I was on the road and sharing a house with an architect. His girlfriend was into ballet. The girlfriend and I conspired to get my flatmate into dance. She showed me a lot of stuff about dance that was really useful.

Horse riders often have good isolations, not exactly sure why, but then as a kid (like 6 years old) I was forced to take riding lessons and figured out that you had to move WiTH the horse.

I find it striking that stuff learned as child is carried into old age. If someone has done ballet classes when they were 10, and gave up with they were 14, you can still tell when they are 50.

Adivce on how to learn isolations? Pick some music with a strong beat while driving the car on the long journey. You can only express the musinc through the movement of your shoulders or your hips.

When you start on isolations, don't give jup because 'nothing is happening', It definitely feels as if nothing is happening for a long while. There will come point when you realise you can actually move your rib cage to the left or right at will.  Then its just a matter of practise and exercise. The first millimetre is more diifcult than the next 10 centimetres

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 01:53:11 PM by albanaich » Logged
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 03:47:32 PM »

There is one way that I learned from my teacher the other day. You can practice.
I don't know if I am able to describe in words, but try to do my best.

1.Make your arms crossed.
2.Stand on one leg and the other leg has to be bent. I don't know the name of turn(Passe) in ballet?, and it should be like that.
3.Stand on the ball of foot.
4. Move your upper body to one side. The lower body shouldn't move up to certain point.
5. Move your lower body following the upper body.

All the turns are 1/8 and it can be repeated.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »

I think the best person who demonstrate this isolation is definitely Bryan Watson like Alba mentioned earlier.

I also like the isolation done by Elizabeta Divak whom is one of my favorite lady in Latin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECe4WV0ue1E
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 05:23:04 PM »

I would prefer it if you used 'Albannach'

For a variety of reasons my online name is 'Albanaich' which is the plural of 'Scotsman'  but I am not 'Scotsmen'

Alba is equally inappropriate because it means 'Scotland'

I'd be happy with 'Albannacnh'
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 06:04:46 PM »

Thank you for letting me know, but I am kind of confused what you are trying to do. Your user name is like you mentioned already inappropriate and you now want to be called something else? Then, why don't you just change your user name?
Also, if you have not read the old post or not, someone mentioned you as Alba, so I thought it was ok to call you Alba.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »

I would prefer it if you used 'Albannach'

For a variety of reasons my online name is 'Albanaich' which is the plural of 'Scotsman'  but I am not 'Scotsmen'

Alba is equally inappropriate because it means 'Scotland'

I'd be happy with 'Albannacnh'

Almost all of us have abbreviations of our names on PDO for ease of writing . (Wink) Can you pick an abbreviation that you are comfortable with?  If not I can't stop members from creating their own.  I usually refer to you as Alb or AB.  Do either of them work?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 09:12:39 PM »

yep...short nicknames normally on a forum...I believe I originated calLing you "alba" and it seems perfect to me...the same as calling me sam. I'm so not gonna figure the full spelling (or its variants) every single time, heh.

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 09:28:41 PM »

Hi Sam!!! Grin
samina
Silver

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »

Hey doll! Smiley
drj
Bronze

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 11:25:10 PM »

Not only that, but "alba" is (iirc) medieval Provencal for "daybreak" which can't be a bad thing for a nickname. OK, time to look it up. <googlegoogle>"Alba: a Proven├žal troubadour poem or love song, typically about the parting of lovers at dawn."

Suck it up. Alba you seem to be!

ancora imparo
samina
Silver

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 11:51:55 PM »

"alba" also reminds me of "alma", spanish for "soul"... another excellent association.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2010, 05:38:16 AM »

I guess we have an official name Cheesy
Sorry Alba, but you just got dubbed - think of it like being back in school, most kids don't get to choose their own nicknames Wink

Besides, you are also our only member from Scotland I beleive so that works too...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: