partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 07:44:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116442 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Dancing and music
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Dancing and music  (Read 1949 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »

what a lovely avatar DGDD - perhaps a personal fantasy too Wink Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 01:42:01 PM »

[I just edited the wording of the second option on the poll to be 'and' the other and not 'or']

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 02:53:15 PM »

what a lovely avatar DGDD - perhaps a personal fantasy too Wink Smiley

Thanks! Yes, I wish I could be like her. Grin She is the world champion figure skater, and she will skate on Tuesday. I am already nervous.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »

..if she is truly world champion quality there is no need to worry Wink

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 06:02:23 AM »

I just want the grace....to look natural  like they do Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 06:41:30 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU3V6zNER4g

How to Listen to Music with your body by Evelyn Glennie

a fascinating talk which I found on the Other Place
yah, i loved that vid. so inspiring.

i was trained as a classical pianist, and do have some jazz/music composition theory.

IME, the aspect that makes musicians great rapid-pattern-recognizers (similar to in mathematics) is an intellectual trait that makes for great pattern-recognition on the floor, but it's the feeling-sensation aspect of the body/being that needs to be activated and developed in dance. having great musical understanding & sense of rhythm doesn't necessarily translate to being a great dancer. one has to be able to get out of one's head and be very present in the body, and that, interestingly, appears not to be the strong suit of many musicians.

I agree; I think it may be a left/right brain issue.......

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 07:07:57 AM »

but musicians are very right brained... you can't think about each note!

I think Sams on it - dancers are about movement and put that movement to music - its really not about the music itself, well maybe the rhythm.  If it was we would have to learn each piece seperately (only exception in the comp form is paso doble which is, I think, always danced to the same tune).  Musicians are about each peice of music - they dance in their heads I suppose, dancers dance in their bodies...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 11:34:12 AM »

I think Sams on it - dancers are about movement and put that movement to music - its really not about the music itself, well maybe the rhythm. 

The other thing is, in music, the musician's body motions are merely a means to an end.  You can fully listen to and appreciate a piece of music without seeing the musician at all.  Dance, on the other hand, is about motion; without it, there is no dance. 
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »

I think Sams on it - dancers are about movement and put that movement to music - its really not about the music itself, well maybe the rhythm. 

The other thing is, in music, the musician's body motions are merely a means to an end.  You can fully listen to and appreciate a piece of music without seeing the musician at all.  Dance, on the other hand, is about motion; without it, there is no dance. 

but which came first the dancer or the musician?

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 02:03:37 PM »

There's only one answer to that question.

Yes.

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 09:41:04 PM »

That's a good question actually... given that both things probably originated as ritual, Elise's answer is probably more profound than she intended.   Cheesy
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 10:16:13 PM »

The other thing is, in music, the musician's body motions are merely a means to an end. 

I'm not certain that this is entirely true. I know that musician's bodies often movein emotional/innate feeling to the music much as a singer will sometimes close the eyes in physical, but also sensual, response to a piece of music.

Which came first? The music. Whether it was in teh form of music as we know it is questionable. However, I am certain that at some point of origin, a person heard or felt an emotionally moving stimulus, and began to move to it. Voila! Dance was born.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 05:44:34 AM »

The other thing is, in music, the musician's body motions are merely a means to an end. 

I'm not certain that this is entirely true. I know that musician's bodies often movein emotional/innate feeling to the music much as a singer will sometimes close the eyes in physical, but also sensual, response to a piece of music.

Which came first? The music. Whether it was in teh form of music as we know it is questionable. However, I am certain that at some point of origin, a person heard or felt an emotionally moving stimulus, and began to move to it. Voila! Dance was born.

...depends entirely on how you define 'music' and 'dance'
I think you can define 'dance' as a 'movement to a rhythm' (external or internal)
If music is any rhythm, then maybe it came first.  However, if it is a sequence of notes then I'm sure it came second...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 05:45:17 AM »

That's a good question actually... given that both things probably originated as ritual, Elise's answer is probably more profound than she intended.   Cheesy
Ha! Never underestimate my profundity.  Or my profanity either for that matter... Grin

Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 04:25:19 AM »

I would recommend this book because its interesting though not specifically focussed on dancing it looks at how the mind responds to music. Its fascinating

http://www.bodleyhead.co.uk/book.asp?ean=9781847920881

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: