partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 09:09:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Exercises (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Excercises for stamina???
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Excercises for stamina???  (Read 6257 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 04:31:18 AM »

have a lovely bike - but sadly hardly even use it - seems I'm always in too much of a hurry Undecided.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 08:52:57 AM »

yes I would ride to work but then I have to find somewhere to get cleaned up, so I would need to leave early and we have to wear helmets so I would have helmet hair  Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
MrsMoose
Bronze

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2010, 07:35:03 AM »

Ok, well I see I am not alone, after reading this I feel a bit uplifted.

I am not on a high level yet. I'm intermediate bronze, but I'm working on it.

I'm not in good shape, I admit it, I gained to much weight from an illness and am not tryng to get back in shape. I get out of breath and I loose energy at the comp if I have to do 4 or 5 dances in a row.

Maybe becuase at the comp I didn't eat lunch. I ate breakfast at like 7 am and then nothing all day till after I finished.

I am afraid to eat as I don't want to get a cramp, you know exercise and eating thing, Huh?

Is that wrong way of thinking
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2010, 07:50:39 AM »

oh I think you need to eat, but choose what you eat carefully, I always have bananas at a comp. I also have chocolate when I first start to calm the nerves ( I dont know why it works)

I love soup also, normally I make a pot of pumpkin soup and take that with me. Nuts are also good.

You must put some energy foods in or you will not sustain your energy level to be competitive.

Work on your stamina off the floor and you will find that you get better on the comp floor  Cheesy

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2010, 10:52:58 AM »

Ok, well I see I am not alone, after reading this I feel a bit uplifted.

I am not on a high level yet. I'm intermediate bronze, but I'm working on it.

I'm not in good shape, I admit it, I gained to much weight from an illness and am not tryng to get back in shape. I get out of breath and I loose energy at the comp if I have to do 4 or 5 dances in a row.

Maybe becuase at the comp I didn't eat lunch. I ate breakfast at like 7 am and then nothing all day till after I finished.

I am afraid to eat as I don't want to get a cramp, you know exercise and eating thing, Huh?

Is that wrong way of thinking
There is a lot written about this - and everyone seems to find their own way.  For me it seems more superstitious than anything to be honest.  A lot of athletes eat pasta the night before (good source of slow-release energy).  I like to have chocolate a few hours before - but I think thats more to pat my mind on the head, as it were, and make me feel good.  Likewise, a few candies on hand just before the heat seems to be good - as long as you also drink water. 

as far as meals - it depends on the time of your heats of course.  If I have 3 hrs I eat a decent meal.  If not then something very light or I might get indigestion from nerves.....

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »

excuse me - gotta swat a spammer -  Shocked

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2010, 07:54:24 AM »

yes I got him first....I love when I do that they must be so disappointed there art does not get to stay there long Tongue

Dance Forum
Subliminal
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 10:18:57 AM »

I am doing that aptly named Insanity workout thing right now. Has helped with the core strength and the stamina, I can already notice a difference. It's pretty high impact though, I got sick a couple weeks ago and had to completely stop it or I'd die. Smiley

Not sure what I'm going to do after I finish that program though... maybe it'll be warm enough outside to do more outdoor activities. Hiking is fun, I'm not sure how much it helps with dance stamina. Seems like a mix of cardio and high intensity is best.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2010, 01:47:58 PM »

Not sure what I'm going to do after I finish that program though... maybe it'll be warm enough outside to do more outdoor activities. Hiking is fun, I'm not sure how much it helps with dance stamina. Seems like a mix of cardio and high intensity is best.

that - or lots of dancing Wink
not kidding really, if you can dance a lot you certainly excersize the muscles needed for dancing!  As discussed earlier in this topic dancing is characterized by marked changes in activity - so something where you do the same may be the best way.

MrsMoose
Bronze

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »

I'm trying to find something myself and have been following this.

Thank you everyone
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2010, 11:40:15 PM »

hope it helps  Tongue

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »

I find the elliptical trainer to be good for developing stamina -- all the benefits of power walking or running without the stress and strain on the knees.  And you can build up your time gradually.  If you have a fancy trainer, it can even get to "know" you and your routines.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:04:17 PM by phoenix13 » Logged

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 10:16:35 PM »

anything that reduces impact on knees is great.  But my walking is getting better.... but it is still a struggle with the shock absorbers not working well. But I did see some exciting things on hte horizon regarding replacing cartridge so I hope I will be able to do that before having to have a knee replacement.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »

Wow.  Your poor knees have sure been through a lot. *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 12:21:37 AM »

Hey I am lucky than most and I do a lot to make sure my leg muscles support my knees....but it is unfortunate that I have always been active to end up with such a problem, you cant help genetics.

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: