partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:05:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Exercises (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Excercises for stamina???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Excercises for stamina???  (Read 6200 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 05:42:53 AM »

quote author=dlgodud link=topic=1087.msg62270#msg62270 date=1263695690]
I used to run, but have stopped a quite period. It helped me build my stamina.
I want to go back, but it is so painfulllllll. Sad
[/quote]
If its painful - its probably not good for you.

I used to run - until my knees started hurting.  The best stamin excercise (work without wear) is, I think, swimming
don't think it would work. Stamina for bike riders is about long distances....where as dancing is more like short interval training, you do bursts of 1.20, because we generally get small breaks in-between. So you would need to ride the bike steady for 10 minutes and then do really fast stuff for 1.00 minute back to normal and then repeat.

I think thats exactly right - and would simulate doing, say, 4 rounds one after another.  It can happen - did to me - I entered two different events and they decided to interleve those two - ostensibly to give the dancers a break Undecided 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 08:53:08 AM »

I am not having trouble with running, just painful in my mind compare to dancing. You know what I am saying. Wink
Also, it's really boring.

I used to go swimming. Maybe I should try to do it, but cannot deal with the smell of clorox. Ew.....
A few times aftre swimming, I throw up and I felt that I had to stop going to the pool.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 08:56:12 AM »

I am not having trouble with running, just painful in my mind compare to dancing. You know what I am saying. Wink
Also, it's really boring.

I used to go swimming. Maybe I should try to do it, but cannot deal with the smell of clorox. Ew.....
A few times aftre swimming, I throw up and I felt that I had to stop going to the pool.

Then the next best option is cycling for real or cycling (or one of the many alternative machines) at a gym.  I realize that doing it for real may not be the easiest option in NY Shocked

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 09:01:12 AM »

Then the next best option is cycling for real or cycling (or one of the many alternative machines) at a gym.  I realize that doing it for real may not be the easiest option in NY Shocked

That might be really difficult to do in the city unless you are not a messenger guy. lol.
Or I can do rollerblading when the weather is nice. It's much better than running.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 09:14:54 AM »

Then the next best option is cycling for real or cycling (or one of the many alternative machines) at a gym.  I realize that doing it for real may not be the easiest option in NY Shocked

Or I can do rollerblading when the weather is nice. It's much better than running.
thats a great idea - long as you wear your pads Wink  bruises are bad, fractures Shocked Shocked Shocked
That might be really difficult to do in the city unless you are not a messenger guy. lol.

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 09:22:26 AM »

thats a great idea - long as you wear your pads Wink  bruises are bad, fractures Shocked Shocked Shocked

a learning process! hehe.....
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 09:23:36 AM »

a learning process! hehe.....
not a lesson any of us want to learn Undecided

albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2010, 10:03:52 AM »

When training for stamina its important to bear in mind what muscles you will be developing.

Running is possibly the worst method of developing stamina.

Dancers need to be able to change pace if they are to move from the Waltz to Jive. The problem is that the musciles used in running are those for explosive, high enegy action, if you train by running long distances you train these muscles to go at a slow steady pace and there is nothing left for explosive action.

Miliarty stamina training in Europe revolves around the 'Speed or Assault March' the idea is the move quickly over ground the natural way, at a fast walk, and then to change to running pace when you come under fire. The muscles for running are used in extremis, not for routine miovement.

Speed Marching is almost certainly a better way of developing stamina (and yes, I starred in this movie many years ago)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGLll6xAwdM

One of the classic examples is General Stillwell's march out of Burma in 1942 in which the old men and nurses out marched out while the  'battle fit' atheletes collapsed, It also occurred in the Falklands campaign where it was the physcially fit training instuctors who broke down not the ordinary infrantry men.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IAV/is_2_90/ai_76736958/pg_5/?tag=content;col1

Dr. Seagrave's 16 tiny nurses ministered to and helped in carrying the sick Americans while singing Christian hymns such as "Onward Christian Soldiers." Nothing was said about the fact that these were some of the same American officers who had proposed abandoning the nurses for fear they would slow down the escape into India. By the second day, Colonel Holcombe, Major Merrill, and Captain Lee were back on their feet, but Major Nowakowski was still unable to walk. Stilwell was disgusted with them. Addressing Colonel Williams, the army doctor who was in his early fifties, Stilwell demanded to know, "Dammit, Williams, you and I can stand it. We're both older than any of them. Why can't they take it ?"

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2010, 10:30:11 AM »

Don't quite understand your interpretation of stamina.
According to the dictionary, stamina means 'Physical or moral strength to resist or withstand illness, fatigue, or hardship; endurance.'

If you referring about building the speed of dancing, you probably need to do weight training.

As a previous runner, running does not mean that you have to run on steady speed. You can control speed while you running. There are a lot of different kinds of training programs in running.

Plus, in latin dancing speed does not mean you have to just move your feet fast. It requires technique, control, and using your body muscles properly, not just moving fast.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:36:41 AM by dlgodud » Logged
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »

Speed Marching is not about 'Speed' - its basically walking at a 'brisk' pace. It's the fastest and least tiring way to move over long distance - it builds the enduranmce to march great distances in a day (Stonewall Jackson's Army of the Sheannandoh often marched 35 miles in day)

You can run similar distances, but you cannot run them everyday, the body is not built to do that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running

Running uses more energy than walking to travel the same distance.[1] Therefore, running is less efficient than walking in terms of calories expended per unit distance, though it is faster.

You use different muscles when running to when you are walking. The 'fast' muscles used in running are generally only applied in the Jive and Cha Cha, most other dances have a walking action. not a kicking action.

If you develop and train by long distance running, you are training to use your muscles in the least efficient way, thus reducing your endurance compared to if you trained using a combination of mostly brisk walking ans some sprints.

A dance competion is mostly a day of brisk walking followed by a couple of 800 metres at the the end when you do Latin.

If you spend the day in effect 'Jogging' you're going to have nothing left in your muscles for the 800 metres, whereas if you had been walking, you would have kept your 'running' muscles in reserve.

It's exactly the same problem faced by the combat soldier, if he 'speed marches' into battle he will still have enough energy left to run like hell when he is shot ot. If he is just at the end of a marathon, there isn't going to much 'sprinting' left in him.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:31:20 AM by albanaich » Logged
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »

You can run similar distances, but you cannot run them everyday, the body is not built to do that.

I don't say you have to run everyday. It's a kind of basic idea that people who exercise regularly don't exercise everyday. Walking is the same thing if you do it as a training. Your body requires a period of time to relax. That's why experts suggest that you don't exercise more than 5 days per week.

]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running

Running uses more energy than walking to travel the same distance.[1] Therefore, running is less efficient than walking in terms of calories expended per unit distance, though it is faster.

We don't talk about losing weight or calorie burning here.

You use different muscles when running to when you are walking. The 'fast' muscles used in running are generally only applied in the Jive and Cha Cha, most other dances have a walking action. not a kicking action.

Again, speed in latin dancing does not mean move fast and walk fast. It needs to approach from technique prospective. We are talking about how we increase our endurance here.

If you develop and train by long distance running, you are training to use your muscles in the least efficient way, thus reducing your endurance compared to if you trained using a combination of mostly brisk walking ans some sprints.

I don't know if you read correctly of my posting, but did not say it should be a long distance running. There are programs in running and it's combination of sprints and running.

If you spend the day in effect 'Jogging' you're going to have nothing left in your muscles for the 800 metres, whereas if you had been walking, you would have kept your 'running' muscles in reserve.

I don't quite know that people approach on the subject this extreme. And your example is quite biased IMO.

[/quote]
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2010, 12:45:35 PM »

So does cycling really help with stamina required for dancing?

I would say it helped me a lot. It is mainly the lower body that works in dancing and the same goes for the bike. The upper body is really used to adjust and regain balance. It give you the ability to last at long distances with deep breathing (the whole day of round after round). It is much gentler on the joints then running. I would think of it as if I was doing rounds. I would say it was good at least for me.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 12:40:50 AM »

I love being on the bike, but have to build up and if you have not done it a while it can bring tears to your eyes. Shocked as a women that is

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 12:45:32 AM »

Better go pull the bike from the garage and get the dust off.  Wink
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 12:59:19 AM »

yes I should, pump up the tyres....might go for a ride tomorrow

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown